PID Episode 1: War Ensemble

Where old RPGs go when they die and move on to the afterlife.
Inferno

PID Episode 1: War Ensemble

Teltain-Class Battleship Xynthos
Presently in orbit above the planet Scarax
Briefing Room

Colonel Zoltho looked at the collection of pilots seated before him. They were a gangly lot, handpicked for this operation. While he certainly hoped that meant they could be trusted, he had served long enough in the military to know that no one was above suspicion.

Regardless, he started his briefing. There was work to be done. "Good day, gentlemen. I am Colonel Tyral Zoltho. I will be your commanding officer for this mission." He paused. "While PFC Lysander will coordinate and manage you in the field, ultimately I have total control over this." He knew he was lying, but continued on. "With the introductions out of the way, let's begin the briefing on your mission." With a touch on his remote, the lights dimmed and the wall behind him turned into a projection screen.

"Operation Blackheart." He read the words onscreen and continued to the next slide. "As I'm sure you've heard, our situation on Scarax has deteriorated rapidly. We are in the process of a planetary evacuation and retreat." He paused to let that sink in. "However, the reason we are here is to make sure that in the process, a dangerous criminal does not escape."

He moved on to the next slide. It was a photograph of a tall, muscular man, with a blond ponytail and a beard. In spite of his cold-looking surroundings, he was dressed as if for warm weather. To his right was someone more appropriately dressed, a man with slick jet-black hair and an eyepatch. On the central man's right was a hooded figure, its back to the camera.

"The man you see in the center is Ex-Warrant Officer Varg Betros. About 72 hours ago, Betros is reported to have went AWOL, murdering multiple Gilgamesh soldiers in the process. He and an unknown number of supporters have fled to the frozen north, presumably to hide with the northern stockpiles of Jijirum we were fighting to secure. We have no clue why exactly Betros went rogue. It may have been a psychotic episode, or a defection to Balarant. Either way, your goal is simple. Locate Betros, and terminate him and his followers with extreme prejudice." Another pause for impact. "This man you see with the eyepatch- his name is Levarth Jakobsil. He goes back as a personal ally of Betros. Reports say he and his elite Sperpent Squad are currently with Betros. They too, must be terminated."

He then went to the next slide, a map of Scarax's surface. Producing a laser pointer, he marked an area in the north. "You'll be dropped roughly around this point. It's a fairly open plain, so you shouldn't have to worry about anti-air forces. From there, you'll work your way to Sprinnig Base, up north." He moved the laser dot to the marked base. "You'll need to help relieve the Balarant siege in order to rendezvous with Major Millex, the base commander. He'll be able to use the base's tracking coordinates to help locate Betros. From there, you'll also be able to contact HQ and plan ahead from there."

The lights went on, and Colonel Zoltho took center stage again. "That concludes your briefing. Do you have any questions about the operation?"
Arbiter GUNDAM

Re: PID Episode 1: War Ensemble

Private First Class Rayner Kennson leaned forward, raising his hand with a wide grin on his face.
"Yeah, how do I get out of this chicken-ZOINKS outfit?"
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Evex

It was odd being back in uniform after so long, and even odder being inside a briefing room. Royd would pull at the collar of his uniform, as if it was one size to small for him. If he had a written utensil, he would of most likely been taping it on the desk he was sitting at. Thankfully he didn't so the head of operations was able to get through the briefing without being bothered. The mission was apparently a search and destroy type of affair. The problem was the terrain where the target was hiding. There would need to special preparations needed to be made to the groups armored troopers just to function in the colder climate. The more Royd began to think about things the less he was actually liking the situation. He had a few questions for the old man, but he was beaten to the punch by one of his fellow pilots. By the sound of it the man wanted out, but it was hard to tell if he was serious or not.

Royd would wait for the old man to answer the one guys question, before asking his own. "I'm guessing this is one of those top secret missions, considering we're going in while every one else is pulling out. In that regard I'm guessing we shouldn't bee expecting any back up, if we get into any real trouble. What is our status on supplies while were on the planet ? Will we be getting fresh supplies, or are we going to need and salvage what we can from our skirmishes ?" It wasn't too difficult a question, as he pulled at the collar of his uniform again. One thing was sure this was going to be an interesting trip.
Fritz Ashlyn

Rhobert sat in the back of the room away from most of the others, a plain notepad with a few things jotted down on it the only thing in front of him. He scribbled something down when Kennson opened his mouth first, and then again after Blakewood spoke. Royd had asked the only real question he had - what kind of supplies would they get in the field, if any?
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
blind_dead_mcjones

Lysander watched the proceedings from the far corner of the room with his usual disconnected fashion, near as he could tell the majority of the squad were greenhorns, Figures, of all the guys to get picked at least one of them happens to be the d***head who thinks he's funny.

"the only way out is to have your arms pulled off by a scopedog, for asking stupid f***ing questions" he replied to private kennson
Flag Fighter for life!
Fritz Ashlyn

Rhobert dispassionately turned his gaze towards Lysander - his pencil hovering motionless above the paper for a moment as their team leader answered Kennson - and then continued taking notes in shorthand. If anyone was watching him specifically they might notice him emphatically underling something in his small notebook.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Arbiter GUNDAM

Rayner grinned at Lysander.

"Ohhh, seems you're quick-temper of the group, hmm? Well, don't worry you none, when it comes to actual fighting, I'll pull this guy Betros' arms off with muh Scopedog, how's that?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Inferno

Colonol Zoltho kept his face stoic, although he had his doubts about his crew. Still, they had been hand-picked as the best of the best. Well, not entirely, but he'd be damned if he'd let that Barcoff squad carry out this important task. He cleared his throat to silence the motley crew, and carried on.

"To answer your questions, no, we will not be able to send any actual resources or supplies directly to you. Keeping this ship shielded from the Balarant Fleet is hard enough as it is, and any orbital drops could potentially reveal our presence. All supplies must be retrieved on site. That won't be hard- there'll be plenty left behind."

He looked over the group one more time. This was who everything hinged on.

"We'll be in position to commence the drop in three hours. In one hour you are to report to the AT storage for unit selection. You're being afforded a great deal of customization here to suit your needs. Try to think about what you'll need for the mission. Also, try not to kill each other." He made the joke entirely with a straight face.

"Dismissed".