NEW RPG THREAD DISCUSSION

Where old RPGs go when they die and move on to the afterlife.
Inferno

Re: NEW RPG THREAD DISCUSSION

Even though I could still run that VOTOMS game, I was just curious as to what people were thinking of an RPG where everyone was a ship captain instead of a pilot? It wouldn't be in Gundam, obviously, but if we found a good universe it could be a nice change of pace.
EZero8

Inferno wrote:Even though I could still run that VOTOMS game, I was just curious as to what people were thinking of an RPG where everyone was a ship captain instead of a pilot? It wouldn't be in Gundam, obviously, but if we found a good universe it could be a nice change of pace.
It's a little different from what you suggested, but I tried starting a RPG a couple years back that gave players the option of controlling entire ships (including pilots, captains, crew, etc.) rather than just individual characters. The idea was that it allows for a smoother posting schedule since it does not necessarily rely on replies from others to keep the story going. The problem was finding players willing to post regularly, at the risk of having multiple ships disappear from the story at once and essentially killing the game.

But judging from how TftF's current player list looks, that RPG style is pretty much in use already. The roster looks like the "Trinary" Show™ with a handful of other guys playing characters here and there.
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
Fritz Ashlyn

We've always allowed the option to join as ship captains, other crew, or non-combat characters in TftF and one of the AEUG vessels was actually controlled by a player for a while before he disappeared, leaving us with the situation of adopting yet another character not of our own creation.

We even created an entirely new ship and purposefully changed events in the RPG to have it join the fleet under his control, and he was both the captain and controlled one of the pilots as his characters. So there's no reason somebody else couldn't do it, and no reason it couldn't work in a different RPG.

To paraphrase what Ez8 said, the problem with many game mechanic decisions is "risking having important characters/ships/machines disappear from the story".
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
mcred23

EZero8 wrote:The roster looks like the "Trinary" Show™ with a handful of other guys playing characters here and there.
I seem to recall us Trinary guys playing as certain someone's character for quite some time while they were away. 8)

As Fritz alluded to, and I know we've pointed out several times in the past, this was never planned on our part. Going just by the roster, the Trinary & Friends have 32 characters between the five of us, but half of those are adopted characters. And it's not like all of those are main characters or anything, a number are just important NPCs. I'll be the first to admit none of my characters are hugely important, I've never played them with that intention, and Fritz and Cardi ended up controlling so many key characters almost entirely via adoption. Fritz joined the RPG with just one character, his namesake. Hell, Cardi is listed with 12 characters, but only three (Leandro, Renard, and Merzo) were originally created by him, and three more are just NPCs that Cardi controlled for so long they developed into full fledged characters (And even two of those were adopted!). I know most of the members here now weren't around then, but many of the important Titan characters were created and made so vital to the story by people who aren't here anymore. The Ritters in particular were created by someone who got banned (From the entire forum, it wasn't us Trinary folks), and then passed on to a second player who then pretty much abandoned them before us Trinary guys took control of them (And even then, most of those Titans have bounced between Fritz and Cardi four or five times over the years :P).

The reason for that is whenever a character is abandoned in the RPG, us Trinary guys are first in line to take over their characters since we're the ones running the RPG. TftF is not a game with a story where we can just instantly and randomly kill off characters when a player leaves, and if no one else is interested in adopting them (Since we usually ask, either publically or privately), we have to take control of them until we can figure out how to properly deal with them.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Cybaster

Sume Gai wrote:Essentially the same concept as in AGE. One basically follows the story of a world through several different eras passing focus from parent to child.
Wedge14 wrote:Yes that would be possible. Check out rule 9. It would take a tremendous amount of planning though.
And as long as you don't pre-plan out the progeny protagonists' hair colors outright beforehand as well... :P

In all seriousness, that's also the problem with too much planning: the game becomes too predictable as well, as in the case of AGE's various Designated Love Interests. (And the grumbling and discontent arising from such when the designated romances fall flat of expectations.)

That said, I'm surprised nobody's actually tried to propose a Gundam AGE RPG here. Yet. :P
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
The Big Zabowski

I wouldn't try an AGE game but I did come up with an idea as of late for an interesting angle on the retelling of Mobile Suit Gundam in game form. Almost an 'Americanized' version if you will that takes place in 1979.

I'll be tossing the Trinary a PM on the rough idea since I've heard they wanted some ideas.
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it was a Trans Am before there was "TRANS AM."
Yes, it's mine. 8)
Tangerine

The Big Zabowski wrote:I wouldn't try an AGE game but I did come up with an idea as of late for an interesting angle on the retelling of Mobile Suit Gundam in game form. Almost an 'Americanized' version if you will that takes place in 1979.

I'll be tossing the Trinary a PM on the rough idea since I've heard they wanted some ideas.
Why do you want that? Making entries about footballer, disco and jazz, school bullies, hippies, marijuana, yoko ono, frank sinatra, cold war, vietnam-esque? :shock:
The Big Zabowski

Tangerine wrote:
The Big Zabowski wrote:I wouldn't try an AGE game but I did come up with an idea as of late for an interesting angle on the retelling of Mobile Suit Gundam in game form. Almost an 'Americanized' version if you will that takes place in 1979.

Why do you want that? Making entries about footballer, disco and jazz, school bullies, hippies, marijuana, yoko ono, frank sinatra, cold war, vietnam-esque? :shock:

Well and Fritz could actually have a metal band form the Black Tristars.. On the federation's roster. I mean why NOT have fun with the original story as if it were a waking dream/Nightmare for Yoshiuki Tomino in 1979-1981?
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it's mine. 8)
Fritz Ashlyn

I just want to give everybody a heads-up: things have been put in motion to open up a second RPG again. If you have an idea you are really desperate to submit, then you should get it ready fairly soon - there is no hard deadline yet, but time will become an issue sooner rather than later.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Cardi Doorl

Tangerine wrote:Why do you want that? Making entries about footballer, disco and jazz, school bullies, hippies, marijuana, yoko ono, frank sinatra, cold war, vietnam-esque? :shock:
Big Z, however your idea shapes up, I think you need Tangerine to promote it. This makes the idea sound awesome as hell.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
The Big Zabowski

Cardi, forwarded you and Tangerine a copy of what I sent Fritz. Feel free to add/tweak/question whatever. You'll find how I'm seeing this interesting. ;)
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it's mine. 8)
Tangerine

The Big Zabowski wrote:Cardi, forwarded you and Tangerine a copy of what I sent Fritz. Feel free to add/tweak/question whatever. You'll find how I'm seeing this interesting. ;)
you know, after thinking about it .. you actually got something. it could be good if played right. what I read on your PM still doesn't feel right although it's already sweet as it is. the chocolate is there, but the sugar coating isn't good enough.
Inferno

Resubmitting my VOTOMS idea:
Armored Trooper VOTOMS: Pathway to Darkness

Story: Caught in the midst of the Hundred Year's War, the planet Scarax was the sight of a bloody stalemate between Balarant and Gilgamesh forces. Both sides remained locked in brutal back-and-forth trench warfare across the planet. That was, until the battle of Kharos Plain. After a long day of fighting, both sides took up shelter against Scarax's brutally cold nights. But that did not sit well with Colonel Varg Betros, Gilgamesh Soldier and Ex-Red Shoulder. Betros, under the cover of night, opened fire on his own "cowardly" forces, pushing them out of cover and hopefully to attack the enemy. However, hearing the gunshots, Balarant forces launched an attack, catching the Gilgamesh soldiers off-guard, ending in a slaughter. Small pockets of Gilgamesh groups retreated, and Betros vanished, taking with him his custom Scopedog and a small force of intensely loyal soldiers, some ex-Red Shoulders themselves.

Now, the Gilgamesh Confederacy has deployed Advanced Recon Force 356, a small, elite task force to Scarax. While many Gilgamesh forces are already abandoning the planet, ARF-3356 has one simple goal: find Betros and his followers, and terminate them with extreme prejudice.

Gameplay: The first batch of PCs would make up ARF-356, with newcomers joining as refugees from the conflict. The PCs don't have to just be Scopedog pilots: while the Scopedog has the most versatility and options for customization, they could also pilot a Standing Tortoise, or maybe later go out on foot with an Anti-AT Rifle (A la Armor Hunter Merrowlink). I'm considering using a point-buy system for AT customization, so we don't get swamped with missile/dakka-spamming mechs.

All the action would by PC vs. GM. Some episodes would revolve around ARF-356 having to deal with the advancing Balarant threat or Betros's minions, while others would involve down-time at rest stops, searching for clues about Betros's location, or braving the dangerous conditions of Scarax. (It's mostly inspired by the Russian/European Taiga) PVP action would likely be non-existent, unless someone happens to be a double agent...
Fritz Ashlyn

WE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTING NEW SUBMISSIONS AFTER MIDNIGHT ON AUGUST 15th.

After the 15th, there will probably be a voting thread up within a day or two.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

The Big Zabowski

Working on the official submission right now but here's a teaser:

So the Zeons are treated/shown to be Nazis in the UC metaverse. But what IF they WERE the Nazis? What if WWII ended differently? What if Nikola Tesla succeeded at Wardencliffe? What if the Aryans that were so worshiped by the Nazi regime turned out to actually be a niche valid form of human evolutionary advancement? Real Newtypes?

What if we had Mobile Suits in 1979?

..Think about it, and look for a submission. ;)
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it's mine. 8)
Cybaster

The Big Zabowski wrote:Working on the official submission right now but here's a teaser:

So the Zeons are treated/shown to be Nazis in the UC metaverse. But what IF they WERE the Nazis? What if WWII ended differently? What if Nikola Tesla succeeded at Wardencliffe? What if the Aryans that were so worshiped by the Nazi regime turned out to actually be a niche valid form of human evolutionary advancement? Real Newtypes?

...Now I can't stop thinking about the Millenium Battalion from Hellsing. Vampire Newtype Nazis and...Godd*mnit!, Zabo! ><x
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
Inferno

Cybaster wrote:
The Big Zabowski wrote:Working on the official submission right now but here's a teaser:

...Now I can't stop thinking about the Millenium Battalion from Hellsing. Vampire Newtype Nazis and...Godd*mnit!, Zabo! ><x
I'm just thinking of what mobile suits the USSR would field.

And suddenly I'm imagining the battle of Stalingrad was hordes of Nazi Zakus and Doms vs. Russians in Draken-Es
Fritz Ashlyn

Inferno wrote:I'm just thinking of what mobile suits the USSR would field.
ебать-тарахтеть!
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots

The Big Zabowski

Pming a similar copy to The Trinary but here it is:
Mobile Suit Gunda-M

1903, Wardenclyfe Tower - Long Island.

"Gentlemen.. we have ushered in a new age of human prosperity!"

With those words, Nikola Tesla succeeded with the Wardenclyffe tower project. However, it was not in the way he had set out to do. It was a side effect that had only been envisioned by the likes of Einstein and other Nuclear physicists at the time.

He had discovered a particle, a molecule that when used in conjunction with his coils created power. Unfortunately, this would go unreleased to the public as the US Government soon absorbed the island for reasons of 'protecting the shore from european threats'.

As such, this discovery would fade into a sort of oddity as the world rolled on. Germany fought the allies in the First World War. A depression occured in the 30s, and Adolph Hitler would take power and start a war with the Allied powers. However things changed in 1943. Hitler, against long range bombing at first pulled a 180 of tactical thought and utilizing a crude nuclear device gleaned from spies in the US War Department crushed the Soviet Union at Stalingrad and Leningrad.

"With this blow.. history is changed"

With the Soviet Union crumbling quickly, the Nazis began to support the Republic of China in their efforts of driving Japan from Manchuria - a move bolstered by a new discovery and the sudden death of Adolph Hitler in 1944. With Japan now in a squeeze play, the war ends in 1945 without the use of bombs.

And like WWI, WWII ends in a cease fire and a mild state of detante.

Fastforward 20 years and technology progresses more. Fusion reaction is now a commonplace technolgy in the militaries of all sides. Reaction bombs, derived from this same particle that was the refinement of Tesla's work decades prior, were now pointed at both NATO and the newly formed Greater German Reich. Allied now with the Republic of China, Japan is crushed in a quick but localized power play and absorbed into the Fascist alliance. Their true motives though are the continued belief in the Aryan race.. a race that could represent an evolutionary leap in the Human condition.

Scientific papers began to delve into this idea that comes from the Greater German Reich.. the idea that a new race of human could be on the horizon.

Meanwhile, realizing that the use of Reaction weapons and even a conventional war is too risky to the mexican standoff that now grips the world, Earth falls into a cold war with the signing of a ban on Reaction Weapons.

Until 1975. The Nazis refining their stolen research develop a weapon leaps and bounds above the rest of the worlds militaries: The Mobile Suit.

Faster than a tank, more agile and requiring less manpower than a conventional mechanized army, and nearly impervious to air strikes, the weapon presents a paradigm shift. And with the world already staring down the barrel of a gun life.. seems to roll on. At least in a cynical sense.

At least until 1979.

1 January 1979 would be the date that things would change in the 'cold war'. WWII that had been a standoff would segway into WWIII with an attack on London using a high powered Reaction Bomb by Nazi forces.

Radar is rendered useless with the deployment of the bomb and new tactics are formed. By the end of the first year the world is still at a stalemate afraid of a true Armageddon by unleashing hell on the planet's surface.

That is until in Sydney, Australia an espionage team from the GGR discovers a secret project 20 years in the making.

V Project. And with an assault on the city and the research compound the war heats up again as a lid is blown on NATOs most secret weapon. The prototype weapons known as Gunda-Ms...

You, are a member of the project. Two teams of mobile suits will be fielded by NATO and others by the GGR. Beam weapons will be a trick shot weapon that will have limited access and unlike MSG, Gundams will have a more 'GM-like' sense to them as prototypes. Guncannons will also exist and make up the second team.
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it's mine. 8)