Mark064's House Burnt Down - Any Donations Appreciated

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
lalahsghost

As found here: http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/stor ... bd5daffa1e
At least 10 people are homeless after a fire gutted two homes and damaged a third in the same block on Vancouver's east side.

Fire crews were sifting through piles of charred debris soaked in water late Sunday morning, trying to determine the cause of a fire that started at 3715 Inverness St. at about 4 a.m. and quickly spread to two nearby homes.

The houses at 3715 and 3711 were destroyed and the house at 3707 was severely damaged.
A three alarm destroyed these homes at 3715 and 3711 Inverness and heavily damaged 3707 Inverness. Smokey the cat, feared to have been killed in the fire, was found alive. Here, owner, Sandra Sheppard with Smokey.

Residents and neighbours stood behind police tape, some still in their pyjamas, waiting to see if firefighters could salvage any of their belongings.

Mark Rinkinen lived in a rental suite with his mother Danika in the house where the fire started.

He was about to go to bed around 4 a.m., he said, when he smelled smoke. He stuck his head outside the window and could see the glow of orange flames at the back of the house.

"I grabbed my cellphone and woke my mom up," said Rinkinen, 25.
I doubt he'll have internet for a while unless poking in on a friend's computer or at school.... but everything/just about everything is gone.

We all know he's been an integral part of this community and he has lost a lot more than a pile of SoC's and Gundam Ace manga... He could use our help.

I'll have more info on how to donate as soon as I'm in contact with him again.

His paypal email address: [email protected]
Last edited by lalahsghost on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
ShadowCell

Holy crap.

At least he's okay, but still, yikes. I hope he gets back on his feet soon.
N-Bomb

Everyone must help! >:E
lalahsghost

Everything I have for sale under my Junk Guild thread is going to have the profits donated to Mark.... so just in case you are the kind of donater that is compelled to get something in return for your contribution.... well, there 'ya go.

P.S. Don't be skimpy on the "name your own price" items... this is going for a cause as close as this community can get unless it was your IRL neighbor.

If you cannot give money, how about putting stuff of your own for sale here and seeing if people will buy it for the sake of Mark?
Wingnut

"There is a probability it was caused by squatters," Hollier said. "But there were no witnesses and no injuries."
Squatters? As in arson?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
lalahsghost

Wingnut wrote:
"There is a probability it was caused by squatters," Hollier said. "But there were no witnesses and no injuries."
Squatters? As in arson?
This was from June 04, the afternoon after it happened:
[18:25] <Mark064> they suspect arson
[18:25] <Mark064> like 99%
[18:25] <gouf_custom> really? wow
[18:25] <velocity7> oh shit

*EDIT* - There's a guy in Florida willing to donate a decent desktop computer to Mark, but shipping from there to there is going to be pricey, yet being in college and a CompSci major.... that would be a highly desired item to have. I'm thinking if shipping is under $40, we could pitch together and do this, amongst other things.
Albireo_818

Geez. Bad luck man. really bad.

My condolences go out to Mark (if you are reading this, we all are sorry for your loss.)

Hope you can get back on your feet soon, Mark...
Call me Albireo or Al, without the _818
"A Clever person solves the problem. The wise person avoids it!"-Albert Einstein
Nimrod

What's worse is that Mark is/was still trying to find one of his cats that they lost track of because of the fire. :(

I agree with Lalah that Mark should be helped after all he's given to the Gundam community as a whole over the years. I will be setting up a similar thread over on Gundam Plus since Mark has helped out with the site and been a member of the forum long before even my time of just being a peon there.

Even if it's only a dollar you can give that's a dollar more to help him and his family.
Wedge14

My thoughts are with Mark, his family and his neighbors.

I hope the guy finds his cat. Animals have this way at putting people at ease.

I'll be sure to send a donation as soon as my paycheque comes in.
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
The Big Zabowski

Ya know, I just remembered my attempt to sell my GM Quel MG and my half built Gelgoog MG for some profit, but after seeing this, if anyone wants to help by buying gunpla, I'd like to put the proceeds up to help Mark and his mother in this crappy turn of events.

Seriously, arson? It's all lulz until a friend gets hurt, then you start wielding the pitchforks. All the best to Mark and his Mother as they try to get through this.
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it was a Trans Am before there was "TRANS AM."
Yes, it's mine. 8)
N-Bomb

So... regarding donations of non-money - I'd recommend waiting until Mark has gotten a stable place to stay so (A) you have some place to send it to, and (B) he has some place to use it. Let's keep to cash right now, and when Mark gets situated, you can donate your physical objects?
lalahsghost

N-Bomb wrote:So... regarding donations of non-money - I'd recommend waiting until Mark has gotten a stable place to stay so (A) you have some place to send it to, and (B) he has some place to use it. Let's keep to cash right now, and when Mark gets situated, you can donate your physical objects?
On Facebook:

Today at 1:22am

Mark said: Since I got no choice... it's [email protected] thanks...
Paypal seems to be the place that is agreed upon. He is able to get to his bank acct, and Mark has given a heads up about how and where he can receive these donations.

*EDIT*

Thanks to Nimrod and all of GPlus for this email/post on the GundamPlus site~
If you're an old school member of fairly new you are bound to know who Mark064 is and how much he's helped out and contributed to the site over the years. Now he's in a bit of a bad spot as his home was burned to the ground earlier in the week and he and his family have basically lost everything.

If you're interested in maybe helping him and donating a buck or two out then head over to the forum and check out this thread for all the deatails: http://gundamplus.net/Forum/index.php?topic=531.0

Just remember that even if it's just a dollar it's a dollar more than they had before.

See ya aorund the threads

Nimrod

--
Nimrod
www.gundamplus.net
Last edited by lalahsghost on Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
T.V.

This is very sad news indeed.
I don't know Mark personally, nor was I aware of his outstanding contributions to MAHQ, and the mecha community in general, until now that is. Yet I'm very sorry to hear what has befallen him.

It's good to hear Mark and his mother escaped without injuries though.
I hope they'll find their cat soon.
It must be a terrible ordeal to face, having your house burnt down, so I wish Mark and all the other victims best of luck getting back up their feet again.
Scyron

he is well aware how I feel as he caught me on irc at the time. Anyhow if we can get him enough for a wii I'd surely buy him a game or two as replacement, I know he had smash and wii mario cart.
Rei Murasame

To lose everything must be absolutely awful... but it's good that we can choose to help him out at a time like this. I hope we'll all be able to make this time a little easier for him.
"And I... should contemplate this change...
To ease the pain.
And I... should step out of the rain...
And turn away..."
Dale
Administrator

I hope we can all contribute in some way help Mark through this.
Mark064

First of all I found my cat today which makes me very happy. :D She's alright just scared.

Now that is done with, it's taken a while to find the time to reply. First of all I'd like to thank everyone for their support and donations it's really nice and far greater then anything I could have ever expected. It's really touching to see this all happen, my mom and I give you all our eternal gratitude.

For those wondering what is going on since then up to now. Initially the goverment gave us $200 to spend at Zellers to buy on clothes and essentials such as shampoo and what not. And put us up in a hotel for 3 nights. After that my friend's have graciously lent me their futon to sleep on while my mom has been at my aunt's house. The inusrance people might put us up in a place for 6 months, pending approval. Other then that we're also looking for a place in the event that doesn't go through. And finally we are also waiting to go back in the house once it's safe to salvage what we can but that won't happen until the insurance people have made it safe.
Albireo_818

great :o

Good Luck!
Call me Albireo or Al, without the _818
"A Clever person solves the problem. The wise person avoids it!"-Albert Einstein
eztofu

hope everything goes well.

actually, i live around the same area too, havent heard it on the news.
acguy rules. period.
ScornMandark

Re: Mark064's House Burnt Down - Any Donations Appreciated

lalahsghost wrote:*EDIT* - There's a guy in Florida willing to donate a decent desktop computer to Mark, but shipping from there to there is going to be pricey, yet being in college and a CompSci major.... that would be a highly desired item to have. I'm thinking if shipping is under $40, we could pitch together and do this, amongst other things.
Has anyone taken care of this ^ yet? If not, I'd be willing to cover whatever shipping costs are, just PM me and I'll take care of it. It sucks being in a technical degree sans compy, I've felt the pain.
The Mekton Zeta Mailing List wrote:27. I will not put emergency destruct devices in my mecha. I will put them in my pilots. Nothing motivates like thermite.