Furuya Toru Celebrates 50 Years Of Voicing Anime

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
YokozunaBulldozer

Furuya Toru Celebrates 50 Years Of Voicing Anime

So this year is rather special for the man who voiced that kid from the space colonies who piloted the Gundam.
As of this year, Mr. Furuya celebrates half a century as a voice actor in the anime scene.
From his humble beginnings at the age of 13 as Kid the Pirate Prince in Kaizoku Ouji(lit. Pirate Prince), Furuya has went on to do many roles such as newtype pilot Amuro Ray from Mobile Suit Gundam, bronze saint Pegasus Seiya from Saint Seiya, Goku's buddy during the adventuring days Yamcha from the Dragon Ball series(was also the voice for the saibamen in Z), baseball star Hoshi Hyuma from Kyojin no Hoshi, and Sailor Moon's one and only Tuxedo Mask/Chiba Mamoru from Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon(fun fact, he was also the voice of Mario in the OVA 'Super Mario Bros.: Peach-Hime Kyushutsu Dai Sakusen!' literally translated as 'Super Mario Bros. The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach!').

But Amuro Ray is not the only role he had in the realm of sci-fi and mecha.
Furuya has had other roles within the genre as well.
For starters, He was the voice of hot-blooded pro racer Shiba Hiroshi aka Kotetsu Jeeg who protected mankind from Queen Himika and her kingdom.
He was also Joe from Groizer X, Jin from Cyber Bots, Casshern from Casshern SINS, Tasuke from Yamato, Andrew Falk from Legend Of Galactic Heroes, Takashi from Laserion, Masato from Dorvack(the robot that later became Roadbuster in G1 Transformers), the enigmatic Ribbons Almark from Gundam 00, and was Charlie Day's character Newton Geiszler in the Japanese dub of Pacific Rim while Ikeda voiced the character Herc Hansen.

Furuya will be releasing a mini album this year titled Thanks ~Kansha~ consisting of covers of "Meguriai" from Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space, "Soldier Dream" from Saint Seiya, and "CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA" from Dragon Ball Z.
Coinciding with this he will be touring 47 cities in Japan to do events, and will also be publishing a mook as well.

But that aside, what are your thoughts and good times that involve Mr. Furuya and his voice acting career?
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Henyo

Re: Furuya Toru Celebrates 50 Years Of Voicing Anime

KONO FURAYA TORU WA DATE JA NAI!!!

one of the most noteworthy thing about Furuya-san is that he can still play young Amura like it was still 1979. the only other VA i know that can manage something close to that is Johnny Yong Bosch.

i really liked his Ribbons voice. he should try more villain roles.

oh and another thing, he should try doing the toku version of Tuxedo Kamen's Henshin. fangirls will surely love that! :twisted:
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Kyuzo Aoi

Tohru Furuya is still going strong despite his age. I know he will eventually get much older but in the second Gundam Origin movie, he still voiced Amuro and that when Amuro's 10 at that time or so.
I am a Gundam!
Henyo

if you want to hear a perverted Amuro Ray watch UG Ultimate Girls. he plays an Ultraseven ripoff all the while shouting IKIMASU!!! and yes, its the perverted meaning that's being used. :twisted:
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Zeonista

Congratulations to Furuya-sensei on his anniversary. Many happy returns! :D He definitely is Mister Franchise of anime, he has been one of the hardest working guys in the biz. It has helped that he has voiced many popular characters from key series. However, there is something to his delivery that basicaly says "earnest and sincere young hero". It's worth noting too that the man loves his work, has a great deal of positive energy, and is always willing and ready to voice a popular character at the drop of a hat.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde