The Official (?) Mecha Talk Sports Thread

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Wingnut

The Official (?) Mecha Talk Sports Thread

As the title implies, this thread will be for all sorts of sports talk whenever it strikes your fancy. The singular thread is due to the infrequency of posts that are sports related.

Today however we have two major things going down. First tonight being the final game of the NCAA men's basketball tournament, and more widespread, opening day of Major League Baseball.
My Tigers take to the field against the visiting Twins this afternoon, and I look forward to a hopefully successful season from them.

On the ice, my Wings hold onto a playoff berth by a thread after yesterday and every point counts to get in.

But this isn't my personal sports blog, so I'll stop my ranting here.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Vent Noir

Re: The Official (?) Mecha Talk Sports Thread

The Australian Football League season started over the weekend, although I was at a gaming convention and didn't pay attention to most of the games.

Hawthorn are favourites to win the premiership for the third time in a row, although I personally think Port Adelaide might pull it off.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Toxicity

Any interest for motorsports here? I've started following a few series again this season for the first time in a few years, mainly F1, Indycar, and Tudor.
SNT1

Love Sports Car racing (ALMS/Tudor/LeMans); I love Corvettes and Audi LMPs. During 24 hours of LeMans, the Corvette teams would usually have 24-hour onboard cameras. I make it a tradition to set it up Friday night (cameras still down) then wake up 7 AM CST to the glorious V-8 sound and literally be a hermit for the next 24 hours.

Will watch some NASCAR (amazing event when watched live)

Also, NBA fan here; I'm from the house of Grit and Grind, and we like our chances to win it all this year.

Also, big boxing fan (see avatar unchanged for years?). The upcoming Mayweather-Pacquiao bout will be THE sporting event of the year.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
gunform1010

SNT1 wrote:Love Sports Car racing (ALMS/Tudor/LeMans); I love Corvettes and Audi LMPs. During 24 hours of LeMans, the Corvette teams would usually have 24-hour onboard cameras. I make it a tradition to set it up Friday night (cameras still down) then wake up 7 AM CST to the glorious V-8 sound and literally be a hermit for the next 24 hours.

Will watch some NASCAR (amazing event when watched live)

Also, NBA fan here; I'm from the house of Grit and Grind, and we like our chances to win it all this year.

Also, big boxing fan (see avatar unchanged for years?). The upcoming Mayweather-Pacquiao bout will be THE sporting event of the year.
Wait, these are true stock cars going through actual, interesting courses? That's something I'd like to see.
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
ShadowCell

SPORTS

i went to a hockey game a couple weeks ago, Ducks vs Kings. and today i went to a basketball game, Clippers vs a bunch of men in Lakers jerseys.

they were both much more fun to watch in person than on TV, because it's so much easier to see everyone moving and see plays come together. football is really the only major sport i'd prefer to watch on TV than in person.
Toxicity

I watched the Daytona 500 to test my interest in Nascar and it served as a pretty good reminder as to why I stopped following the series - bogus full course cautions and red flags for the sake of keeping the field bunched up.

The first two races of the Tudor series have been great to watch, all the classes are very evenly matched. My favorites are the Vipers in the GTD class, so naturally I was a bit disappointed when they screwed their driver on fuel with less than 10 minutes to go at Sebring.

I've always been a fan of Juan Montoya, so I was thrilled to see him back in victory lane in an Indycar last week. What I didn't like about that race though was how fragile the new aero kits for the cars are, I think there were 4 or 5 FCYs before halfway for debris just from cars touching and the bodywork falling apart.

I'm not a big fan of the Ferrari F1 team but it was nice to see somebody other than Mercedes winning a race. I am a fan of Raikkonen though, so hopefully he'll be ontop of the podium at some point this season.
Vent Noir

RIP Richie Benaud.

You were the voice of cricket to me, and to most of my country. Summers won't be the same without you.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Vent Noir

...and Essendon wins by 2 points against the reigning premiers Hawthorn! What a game!

Now basking in the afterglow.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-12/bombers-hold-on
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Wingnut

The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
Wingnut

With the level of salty I am right now over the Red Wings' situation and how they got there, you could de-ice a sizable stretch of I-75 if it were still winter. At least with this being Detroit we have a team playing at all times of the year and the Tigers are doing good right now with our catcher today getting his 1st MLB home run and it being an inside the park job at that.

Must have been a surreal thing for the players in Baltimore today where in spite of the riots they played their game with no paying fans in attendance.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
Toxicity

Hopefully the start of the Indianapolis gran prix isn't a complete fiasco like last year, seems like they gave up on the idea of standing starts though since they didn't do it at long beach.

Totally forgot the Spa Francorchamps sports car race was this weekend, I turned it on just in time to see the lone Corvette in the field crash out. RIP.

edit - apparently reading calenders is hard.