Tokusatsu

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Henyo

Re: Tokusatsu

YokozunaBulldozer wrote:Anyone see episode 1 of Zyuohger yet?
This is some crazy hilarious stuff and I thought pirate rangers that become other rangers with keys was crazy.
waiting for TVnihons subs. i've gotten too used to their works that OT.(that and i like my no English equivalent Japanese words kept intact as much as possible.) and given the animal motifs, i\m expecting lots of them. especially the jokes/puns.

any comments on KR Ghost and the recently Ninninger? i fine it these two to be too simple. especially the former. here's hoping the PR version of the latter is better like what happened with Kyoryuger/ Dino Charge. :D
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Iris Scope

The very first Sentai show I watched to the full years ago was Jetman. I loved every bit of it except parts of the ending for obvious reasons if you've watched it.

I've caught bits of Shinkenger, Goseiger, and Gokaiger over the years but never finished any of them. I now have Zyuranger on DVD and I am concentrating on that.
Henyo

the 2017 MMPR movie just got a bit better. it's got Isamu Dyson's english dub voice as the new Zordon.

as for the japan side, Ghost continues to be underwhelming. his super modes are just rehashed ideas from previous main riders. namely Hibiki Kurenai, Jimber Gaim, King Form/Chou Den-o form and finally, Infinty Style.

same for KR Amazons. the action scenes are really lacking. and to think this is a spin off of one of the most violent Entries in the KR franchise.

ZA WARUDO is all i'm going to say in regards to Jyuohger. an actual evil ranger is refreshing actually.(he aint gonna be evil till the final episode that's for sure.)
YokozunaBulldozer

Kamen Rider is currently celebrating 45 years of grasshopper biker martial artists having medical doctors fight video game viruses by transforming into superheroes using video game cartridges in their new show Kamen Rider Ex-aid. And I thought fruit samurai topped them all but this is some next level stuff.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
PandaBrady

Hi. New here. I tried to make a Tokusatsu Tabletop. Ha ha. That was a lot of work and research that amounted to very little. Still, because of it I know of 60% of the metal hero series, All of Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, the live action Kikaider, Inazuman, Spider Man, 80% of Ultraman (after Belial vs I stopped.), live action Sailor Moon, Garo (which is awesome), Ryukendo, the Rescue Series (which Ryukendo is from? I just researched the shows after watching Ryukendo), the Awful Dubbing of Armor Heroes, the 2nd series of Armor Heroes... I think that is it. Had a friend obssessed with Zoids, so I had to make up a Zoid based Tokusatsu Team.
Henyo

i'm watching all current entries of the three major franchises actually.
Build, Kyuuranger and Geed. i enjoy build and Geed the most. Kyuuranger is suffering from Nanoha strikers level of Cast Bloating. not even the humor is amusing. Geed is okay-ish.(as is build BTW) Riku is a big step down from Gai. and then there's Zero second bananaing the Main Ultra again. at least his host is entertaining.

PR ninja steel is more entertaining than Kyuu for me now.

also trying out the latest anime entry of the Garo franchise.
AmuroNT1

I'm quite enjoying Build right now. The cast is interesting and the whole mystery behind Pandora's Box, the Skywalls, and the Smash are really kicking things into high gear. My biggest complaint at the moment is that Ryuga seems to be suffering some amnesia, since he already learned "Don't be a selfish jerk" in one episode but then had to re-learn it a couple of weeks later.

Kyuranger is also fun; honestly I'm just glad Lucky developed an actual personality and resembles a decent leader, instead of just being an enthusiastic idiot spouting a catchphrase over and over like he was at the start of the show. The series does suffer from a bloated cast, but for the most part they've gotten decent development; I'd say the one who's most short-charged in that area is Hami.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
yazi88

Build is a lot of fun, I have no problems with the main cast at all. Although the cafe owner is more devious than I expected him to be, and more manipulative too, kind of throws a wench into how those characters tend to be compared to other Rider shows.

I think its pretty obvious that Ryuga is going to be the secondary Rider Kamen Rider Claws. Although one of the recently announced other riders might be a bad guy as he has the same name as the main villain Night Rogue.
Henyo

yazi88 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:33 am Build is a lot of fun, I have no problems with the main cast at all. Although the cafe owner is more devious than I expected him to be, and more manipulative too, kind of throws a wench into how those characters tend to be compared to other Rider shows.

I think its pretty obvious that Ryuga is going to be the secondary Rider Kamen Rider Claws. Although one of the recently announced other riders might be a bad guy as he has the same name as the main villain Night Rogue.
i generally agree. generally, because i hate the idol persona of Misora. i hated Poppy's. even if it does make sense in universe. she was better off as a DJ or just a music lover character. then again, Idols are so in right now.

the one thing i, and my mother, hate about build is his having to shake bottles a lot. good thing they're cuting it short early.

ah well, at least i have Dyna and Gaia whenever the current series' gives bad aftertaste.
AmuroNT1

I dunno, I think the contrast between Misora being this lazy, grumpy brat and a peppy Internet idol is pretty funny. Especially in the episode where Sento forced her to go online to help get information and she just fell asleep in the middle of her intro.

In a related note, the Kamen Rider Kuuga and W mangas are getting fan-translated. The W one is going faster right now which is kind of impressive since the Kuuga one has been out for a couple of years so logically they should have a giant backlog.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

yazi88

I'm enjoying the W manga a lot, its great to see the characters again, the fanservice is good too, but the manga version of Shotaro has such funny reactions that it matches his real life actor, lol.
Henyo

AmuroNT1 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:01 pm I dunno, I think the contrast between Misora being this lazy, grumpy brat and a peppy Internet idol is pretty funny. Especially in the episode where Sento forced her to go online to help get information and she just fell asleep in the middle of her intro.

In a related note, the Kamen Rider Kuuga and W mangas are getting fan-translated. The W one is going faster right now which is kind of impressive since the Kuuga one has been out for a couple of years so logically they should have a giant backlog.
Ah! gotta check both of those mangas out. i haven't been reading much manga in a while. oh yeah, anyone seeing the scope dog in Build's hawk Gatling form? even dearest mother noticed that one. :D
AmuroNT1

I admit I'm mildly disappointed at the slow pace of the Kuuga manga because I hear it goes to some interesting places.
Spoiler
Most prominently it starts crossing over with Agito, with Shoichi's sister Yukina actually showing up alive, and even turning into a female Agito.

Kuruni

AmuroNT1 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:37 pm I admit I'm mildly disappointed at the slow pace of the Kuuga manga because I hear it goes to some interesting places.
Spoiler
Most prominently it starts crossing over with Agito, with Shoichi's sister Yukina actually showing up alive, and even turning into a female Agito.
Huh? Does that mean fan RPG Masquerade Style actually hit the spot?
Spoiler
In the game's setting, Kuuga and Agito are same thing. It's just that Agito's transformation is natural evolution/mutation but Kuuga's is invoked by Amadam stone.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Henyo

Kuruni wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:15 am
AmuroNT1 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:37 pm I admit I'm mildly disappointed at the slow pace of the Kuuga manga because I hear it goes to some interesting places.
Spoiler
Huh? Does that mean fan RPG Masquerade Style actually hit the spot?
Spoiler
In the game's setting, Kuuga and Agito are same thing. It's just that Agito's transformation is natural evolution/mutation but Kuuga's is invoked by Amadam stone.
i don't think so. comrade amuroNT just said that the manga just confirms mor e solidly "on screen" that Kuuga and Agito are set in the same world. in both Tv series it was just done through the G3 suit and the police division Hikawa and Ozawa belong to a unit that was formed to deal with threats like the Grongi.
AmuroNT1

As I understand, the producers of Agito wanted to make the story a direct sequel to Kuuga at first, but didn't want to alienate new viewers so they compromised by saying "It's a sequel if you want it to be, but if you don't that's perfectly fine too." There have been little nods in other media; for example, the prototype G1 suit (which appeared in the S.I.C. Hero Saga photonovel story) looks like a mechanical version of Kuuga Mighty Form.

The Kuuga manga is a modern retelling of the TV series and they took the opportunity to introduce Agito characters and plots from the start, kind of like how Gundam Wing: Glory of the Losers uses elements from Endless Waltz, Episode Zero, and other side-stories that didn't couldn't be included in the original anime.

Kuruni

First episode of Ultraman Taiga is on Youtube, and someone nicely sub it. Lets hope we can get the whole season subbed.
Henyo

Looks like Toku this year is shaping up to be good.
Ryusoulger is fun to watch so far. Ultraman Taiga is off to a good start. good riddance they got rid of the fusion gimmick and went back to simple transformations. that's what turned me off with R/B really(along with too much Talking in the part of the Ultras)

KR Zero-1's design is simple and clean. but i hope the forms dont go to Engine Oh G-12 levels again.
Kuruni

Dug up because, well, the next Super Sentai appear to be focus on mech. The design of the four members already give me nostalgia (they appear to be derived from Gaoking, Daizyujin, Majiking, and Daibouken) while the leader is mixture of Kamen Rider and Big One from the second Sentai, JAKQ.
Henyo

Kuruni wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:11 am Dug up because, well, the next Super Sentai appear to be focus on mech. The design of the four members already give me nostalgia (they appear to be derived from Gaoking, Daizyujin, Majiking, and Daibouken) while the leader is mixture of Kamen Rider and Big One from the second Sentai, JAKQ.
and cue some fans shouting ruined yet again. i personally like the concept. refreshing just like the leaked design of the next PreCure season. oh and some probably not gonna like it that there arent any human girls.

speaking mecha reference the blu ranger looks VERY VERY sinilar to Armada Optimus Prime. heck someone already edited him with The Prime Colors.