The Otaku at Work

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Henyo

The Otaku at Work

Okay! so who here shares his/her Otakuness to coworkers?(at any time during working hours of course) how much? 50%? 100%

i go at it at 120%. in other words, bringing some stuff to my cubicle.(Magical Girl things at that!)
and during company events, i cosplay. just last year actually our department had a cosplay themed event. i went as Legend of The Galactic Heroes's Oscar Von oskar von reuenthal
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Wellman

Re: The Otaku at Work

Less then 5% maybe 10%, not too many others I know about but I do chime in on stuff when its brought up by others.
Ziryab

With the exception of email and internal IM, my workspace is pretty much isolated from others. (sometimes I feel like a fairy tale princess when the stir crazy gets to me :p)

So pretty much 0%

However, there's a guy in the building who's real big into Godzilla but I haven't tapped his otaku quotient yet.
Hmm. Luke, this Gundam reminds me of a puzzle.

Steam ID: MediumPunch
3DS FC: 0189 9106 6003
Henyo

yeah i get that experience sometimes. you see another employee who looks like an Otaku but find it hard to make an approach. thankfully, the ones seated next to me are a bit more than the casual aniem watchers. it helps that we work at a japanese Company. they won't bat an eyelash at me for knowing japanese. :twisted:
teslashark

I'm the 2nd most active member of [CENSORED] College's anime club and the only one who knows any spoilers.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
Toxicity

I tend not to talk about my interests too much while at work. At best I'll give a vague "I watched that kind of stuff on cartoon network when I was a kid" answer if someone brings it up. Funny story, I used to have a coworker who never quit talking, this old southern guy would always be going on about cars, women, hunting, drinking, or anything really. This old redneck would've been the last person I ever expected to be into anime or video games until one day out of nowhere he told me that he used to watch DBZ, Gundam, Naruto and all that on toonami religiously.
Alexeon

I'm pretty sure all my coworkers know I'm into anime and sci-fi. I'm 100% sure at least some know, since I told them myself. It helps that I work with a college buddy. I'm in IT so you can imagine that there is a prerequisite level of nerdiness already (my boss's wallpaper is the Enterprise, for example, and everyone is really pumped about the new Star Wars) so being into anime isn't a big deal, especially as I'm not in their face about it. Its just something I happen to like and I occasionally talk about it with my friend or one of the server engineers.

I don't take stuff to work other than a keychain. I did set my wallpaper to a scene of the Earth space fleet from Gunbuster. My boss liked it.
GVmanX

@Toxicity: Goes to show you can't judge a book by its cover.

I'd say almost all my coworkers know. I've occasionally joked about it with them, and the guy who handles interlibrary loans thought an old Japanese movie I requested was anime. A coworker who's pretty close in age to me is also pretty nerdy and reads manga from time to time, so I've talked about it with her. I believe I got her a volume of Sailor Moon for her birthday once. Thing is, in the library field, there's a huuuuuuge amount of nerds. Naturally, things like liking anime isn't too uncommon.
Henyo

that's nice. the otakus whom i'm close to are resigning one after another. and i have yet to meet new ones. at the very least some people on the team are casual anime watchers. i give them some shows to watch and also the latest episodes of One piece. there's also the occasional Naruto and fairy tail.

that said, i give them some old animes and of course Magical Girl series. i have yet to suceed in making them watch Madoka Magica. :twisted:
GVmanX

Eh, if you manage to get them started on Madoka, they'd probably follow it to the end. Gen Urobuchi's writing tends to be pretty "Hollywood," so once they got past the character designs I don't think there would be a problem. Granted, I'm not really fan of Madoka (or most of Eurobutcher's works), so what do I know?

Out of curiosity, what old anime/magical girl shows have you recommended them?
Henyo

GVmanX wrote:Eh, if you manage to get them started on Madoka, they'd probably follow it to the end. Gen Urobuchi's writing tends to be pretty "Hollywood," so once they got past the character designs I don't think there would be a problem. Granted, I'm not really fan of Madoka (or most of Eurobutcher's works), so what do I know?

Out of curiosity, what old anime/magical girl shows have you recommended them?
PRETTY CURE.

and i have positive results. :twisted: (BURNING!!! XD)
specifically, i gave them Doki Doki PreCure. the guy liked it very much. and he's the casual anime watcher. the most recent old anime i gave to him was Peter Pan no Bouken.

other series include, Umi Monogatari, Super Doll Licca-chan, G GUndam, and my all time favorite Shin-chan movie: The Adult Empire Strikes Back.
GVmanX

You can never go wrong with G Gundam.

Super Doll Licca-chan looks like it might be kinda fun. I might have to give this a look.
Zeonista

In most of my past workplaces being an overt otaku would not have been a positive step. I got enough strange looks for being an open Rennie. :D Most of my otaku evangelizing has been among gamers. You go where the interest is.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Henyo

Zeonista wrote:In most of my past workplaces being an overt otaku would not have been a positive step. I got enough strange looks for being an open Rennie. :D Most of my otaku evangelizing has been among gamers. You go where the interest is.
i experienced that during my elementary and high school years.(which is why i'd rather not remember that time period in my life.) right now, I'm spreading the Otaku love. i give my coworkers some of the latest animes.(One Punch Man is a hit!)

also, i have finally gotten someone to watch Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. all the way up to the Rebellion Movie. V!

what's a Rennie BTW?
Mech42Ace

Henyo wrote:
Zeonista wrote: what's a Rennie BTW?
I'm curious as well.

I don't show my otaku side very much albeit having a Neon Genesis Evangelion wallpaper, but I do drop references in from various shows when I get the chance.

Hello all, first post! :D