Marvel's Agent Carter

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Wingnut

Marvel's Agent Carter

2 hour premiere up and over, and I'm liking this so far. One thing I will spoil that's nice to see is that they have the original Jarvis in this working for Howard Stark, so that's a nice callback to the original character from before we all were born.
Spoiler
Typical late 40s setting which means that Peggy can't catch a break at all because she's a woman yet she is generally doing better than everyone else in the SSR office. However being that lone wolf leads to problems including but not limited to getting her roommate killed when she happens to bring work home with her. Thankfully, Jarvis seems to have her back on this. At least for now if the next episode teaser is anything to go by, but without context it probably isn't, though one can never truly know with these guys.
That waitress is a nice 'civilian' character type that the hero often has around to provide an innocent foil to the more serious and secret dirty stuff going on behind the scenes.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Marvel's Agent Carter

It was good, but I think they are portraying the men as being too incompotent. It's one thing to have a strong female lead, but you don't have to make the guys look bad to do so. The guy with the crutch is the only decent male there. Jarvis isn't bad either but he is a bit of a fool.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Kratos

I really dug it. Engaging and funny and left me much less cold than its modern-day MCU television counterpart.

I actually disagree about the men - I thought they were portrayed with plenty of competence, being only a couple steps behind Peggy at any given time (considering she had inside info and a head start). That they weren't simply one-dimensional sexist jerkoffs was a nice touch - I mean, a few were definitely sexist jerkoffs, but they weren't JUST that, and it's always nice when the writers try to give even characters like this some layers.

As for Jarvis, he was surprisingly buffoonish, considering Stark trusted him with this job, but I also think something's up there, especially when you take his comments at the end of the first episode into account.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Wingnut

Eww. I hate it when this happens. Shit hits the fan and poo winds up all over the room. I am not cleaning this up.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
Wingnut

Am I the only one still watching this :?:
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
Kratos

I'm in the process of catching up. Just finished episode 6.

I'm still enjoying it, though I think some of its themes and stuff could use a bit more breathing room. It's moving pretty fast. Probably a solid B+ show so far.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
SNT1

I tried to like this show (being a HUGE fan of AoS) but I've only seen the first 2 eps.; Hayley Atwell puts me to sleep, or maybe it's the setting, which quite frankly I don't care much about.

I'll probably rush-marathon these within the next week though; I'm sure AoS will drop loads of Agent Carter references which I will not understand if I haven't seen them.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Wingnut

SNT1 wrote:I tried to like this show (being a HUGE fan of AoS) but I've only seen the first 2 eps.; Hayley Atwell puts me to sleep, or maybe it's the setting, which quite frankly I don't care much about.

I'll probably rush-marathon these within the next week though; I'm sure AoS will drop loads of Agent Carter references which I will not understand if I haven't seen them.
That might be a good idea really. And I agree with the setting, but it's the late 40s, so there's only so much one can do with it.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
Wellman

I appreciate some of the late 40s aesthetics but yeah some of the bits were it focuses on them or the treatment/expectations of women in the era are somewhat boring.

That being said, when show focuses on the action, the witty Jarvis - Peggy banter, or the myth arc with Leviathan I am glued to the seat. I really shouldn't compare due to the smaller run and obviously better budget but from the 7 episodes, I like it more then I liked all of the first season of AoS but a country mile. Heck even with the better second season, I find its characters are better explored then most of the AoS cast in 1.5 seasons. But then again I think the main SSR guys might just be better actors so...
Wingnut

Well well. That was quite a wrap up. All the loose ends around SSR are tied up, but of course knowing Marvel that's only half the tale.
Spoiler
The not so good doctor is captured while Howard decides to destroy all his gadgets that were stolen, and surprisingly after being entrusted with Roger's blood, Carter does the same by pouring it off the Brooklyn Bridge while bidding Steve a final good-bye. Of course Dotty managed to get away, so if more Agent Carter is made we can hopefully look forward to more of her.
Oh, and one more thing.
Spoiler
Hail Hydra.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
phillosmaster

This show has been great. I think the smaller episode run really helped it out since it kept the show on a good pace. No episode felt like filler. I kind of hope they do this sort of thing more often for the smaller Marvel properties. The fact that this show was a period piece really help it feel fresh and not just more of the same from the MCU.

Yeah I liked it much better than both seasons of AoS so far. I like AoS, but it's definitely had it's rough patches. This felt like a much more well polished experience. Hayley Atwell does a great job as Peggy. If they don't do anymore Peggy stuff in the MCU I hope she get's something else to showcase her talent.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Wellman

I was let down by final episode myself (not really enough action IMO) but overall, I stick with my previously stated feelings, this has been a great little series.
Destiny_Gundam

Second season has been confirmed.
Destiny_Gundam

Season 2 has started.

Damn it, Sousa, you just had to go screw things up.
Wellman

Sadly we will only get two seasons for Agent Carter, ending with a cliffhanger for one major character at that. Hope it might be revived as a Netflix show but given Netflix is already juggling shows related to their 'Defenders' project, can't say I am optimistic.
Jinjer

right now i'm guessing marvel's keeping it all hush-hush because people might've already figured out about the show popping up on netflix in the near future