Guardians Of The Galaxy

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
phillosmaster

Guardians Of The Galaxy

So I've made it no secret that I'm a Marvel Cosmic fan on this board. So speaking as a fan I loved this movie. Yeah they changed stuff around to make it make more sense in the context of a 2 hour movie, but none of it was offensive, and it was really fun. I'm holding out hope they make a Nova movie. If there was any complaint I had it's that in a GOTG movie featuring the Nova corp it feels weird that Rich wasn't in there in some capacity.

What did everyone else think. It appears to be doing well as far as reviews and sales go, but at this point any Marvel movie is going to do well just based on momentum so I'm wonder what non-readers think about this film.
Spoiler
Thanos on his rocket throne was true to the comic, but a bit silly on film.

Cosmo and Knowhere actually being in the movie was awesome.

Howard The Duck in the post credit scene? I still can't believe that was a thing. I'm not sure what that means. They can't seriously be considering doing a Howard movie again.
If you liked this movie don't read the current run. Read the Annihilation trades and the trades of the original Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning run. That is the basis for this movie. The current run by Bendis is pretty weak IMO. They have an omnibus out now for Annihilation. If you liked it you continue to the Annihilation Conquest trades which is where the modern Guardians were formed. Then you can go into the GOTG complete collections they are putting out now that whole Dan and Andy (or DNA to fans) run.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Wellman

Re: Guardians Of The Galaxy

Agree, stir FAR away from the current GotG run, you try to stick with it thinking it would get better but even after over a dozen issues it has not. Angela is cool but her and Gamora alone can't save the ship when it is obvious the main driving force behind the comic is either just bidding time until the movie comes out or just doesn't care.

I too love the film, one of the most fun and down right funniest Marvel movies they have done yet. Glad to see it do so well, at the box office and hope it opens doors for more cosmic books to be adapted or just get some more publishing love.
phillosmaster

Don't get me started on the new comic run. He spends too much time with Star Lord and his father (A storyline I hate. Star Lord becomes such a bad character every time J'Son comes around). The only other person who gets any attention is Gamora (and now Angela), and that's so he can give the artist some cool action scenes to draw. How can you squander characters like Rocket, Groot and Drax. Rocket and Groot were the heart of the previous book and now they are backdrops basically. Drax barely get's any dialogue. He ignores any character that isn't in the main movie line-up like Mantis, Cosmo, Adam, Bug, Jack Flag, Vance Astro... and instead throws new people like Venom into the line up. I like Flash Venom, but he seems a bit out of place.

I've been waiting around to see how this latest Original Sin tie in goes. I'd like to know what happened to Richard Rider. If that storyline sucks though I might just be out of Marvel Cosmic until they get a new creative team. BMB did lot's of great stuff for the Avengers and Ultimate Spiderman, but I'm not sure he understands Marvel Cosmic. Starlin has that new direct to trade story coming out though. I'll probably check that out.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Wellman

Yeah, I myself am sticking around just to see the long fabled what happened Richard storyline Bendis has teased for so long. If it sucks or is weak, I am dropping the book until a new creative team hits the scene.

After the success of the movie I would hope they would get a writer that actually wants to write the characters, because I have read enough Bendis books to know that books he cares about are good but ones which are just meant to be pay checks, he will cram with big name guest stars or sneak in his favorites just to move things along because he doesn't have a true plan and doesn't care enough for the project.

For nearly 2 years that has been his Guardians of the Galaxy, to read a Bendis that cares read one of the X-Men books he writes or Ultimate Spider-Man.