Godzilla 2014

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
halo1000

Re: Godzilla 2014

I'll be seeing it later this afternoon, really looking forward to it.
sweet-d

Yeah I saw it in IMAX last night and it was lot better than I expected it to be. Heisenberg was a badass like always but I was surprised that script wasn't absolutely utter trash. It didn't seem to treat people like idiots and their was one serious scene that questions if brute force can be used to kill the two flying monsters.

It also isn't an Murica' saves the day kind of movie either. The fight scenes were pretty good too especially when Godzilla
Spoiler
opens up the mouth of the monster and blows his radioactive breath down his throat
. It had a fitting ending and I don't think it's needs a sequel.
Francheska is a horrible colony.
Peter the Game Guy

I saw it.
I was okay.
I might post a video about what I thought about it later.
Sume Gai

It was not a somber cinematic masterpiece (like the Original) but it was a great exercise on build up and pay off which set the stage for some promising follow ups. A fun popcorn movie at the very least. The Human characters were pretty bland (with the Exception of Serizawa and the Father) but not annoying.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Vent Noir

Saw it last night, thought it was pretty good. Not my favourite Godzilla movie (that'd be Final Wars), but decent.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Destiny_Gundam

So I saw the movie for the 2nd time today. Not because it was so awesome I wanted to see it twice (like Cap 2), but because I left the theater feeling a bit conflicted. While it was far from terrible, I was quite disappointed.

Build up is fine, and I appreciate what they were trying to do, but it eventually crossed into cocktease territory.
Spoiler
Even when it gets to the big fight at the end it's mostly just Gozilla and the MUTO struggling in the background while the camera focused on the humans. And when it does just focus on the monsters, Godzilla kills each of them in one hit. It didn't need to be 2 hours of monster fighting, but it definitely needed more. At the very least some of the 'build up' could have been trimmed. Or made more interesting.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Toxicity

I saw it today I didn't care for it much. Listening to walter white's son whine about his family got tiresome very quickly.
Peter the Game Guy

Toxicity wrote:I saw it today I didn't care for it much. Listening to walter white's son whine about his family got tiresome very quickly.
I disagree, I hardly heard him white at all.
Toxicity

As others have said, the film focused much more on the incredibly generic main character and his quest to be reunited with his family than the monsters. I highly doubt that most of the people who spent money on a ticket to see this film were very interested in seeing anything more than Godzilla doing what he does best.
Peter the Game Guy

Toxicity wrote:As others have said, the film focused much more on the incredibly generic main character and his quest to be reunited with his family than the monsters. I highly doubt that most of the people who spent money on a ticket to see this film were very interested in seeing anything more than Godzilla doing what he does best.
The whole film is based around the monsters.
Ford's goal to get back with his family feels more like side plot if anything.

& why is it so bad that the film gives the human so much screen time?
It's been done like that before in tons of Godzilla films.
Toxicity

Peter the Game Guy wrote:& why is it so bad that the film gives the human so much screen time?
Toxicity wrote:I highly doubt that most of the people who spent money on a ticket to see this film were very interested in seeing anything more than Godzilla doing what he does best.
This review sums up pretty well why I didn't care for the film, since apparently you didn't bother to read my previous post.
excalibur2008

Peter the Game Guy wrote: & why is it so bad that the film gives the human so much screen time?
It's been done like that before in tons of Godzilla films.
Including the original in which Godzilla barely appears.
Toxicity

I don't have anything against character driven stories, provided that the characters are interesting.
Deacon Blues

Toxicity wrote:
Peter the Game Guy wrote:& why is it so bad that the film gives the human so much screen time?
Toxicity wrote:I highly doubt that most of the people who spent money on a ticket to see this film were very interested in seeing anything more than Godzilla doing what he does best.
This review sums up pretty well why I didn't care for the film, since apparently you didn't bother to read my previous post.
It'd help if he pronounced MUTO correctly... "mew-toe". Riiiiight. Wutnabe. God can this "reviewer" even be bothered to pronounce things correctly?
Toxicity

It might just be his accent, IIRC he's from Boston, MA.
Deacon Blues

No... it's not his accent. It's just stupidity and ranting, much like the other Godzilla reviews. Hardly any constructive criticism.
Aki

looks awesome!