Star Wars Episode VII

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
excalibur2008

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

azrael wrote:
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:But of course, since this is the internet, the fanboys have latched onto everything they can complain about including that crossguard lightsaber.
That's because a crossguard is designed to protect the hand of the user, not cut it off at the same time. One bad flick or movement of that wrist and the hand holding that lightsaber is gonna get cut off. That's why it's called a crossGUARD.
Meh, if Maul got away with a double edged one, the new guy getting a claymore doesn't really bother me.
azrael

excalibur2008 wrote:Meh, if Maul got away with a double edged one, the new guy getting a claymore doesn't really bother me.
Don't just take my word on it.

Master bladesmith: New lightsaber design is a terrible idea (Washington Post)
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
excalibur2008

azrael wrote:
excalibur2008 wrote:Meh, if Maul got away with a double edged one, the new guy getting a claymore doesn't really bother me.

Its a franchise that does stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdEO76klfrs

DO. NOT. CARE.

Seriously this is a franchise about space wizards with lazer swords.
ShadowCell

i have no idea what to think of that teaser because all it has is x-wings flying and stormtroopers stormtrooping and a dude with a funny lightsaber and katamari droidacy and the only thing that teaser tells me is that the new star wars movie will contain stuff which is sort of a minimum entry requirement for a star wars movie

but great job freaking out at the black stormtrooper, internet, A+ for that
MrMarch

Well, the teaser certainly looks like a far different film than the prequels, both in tone and technique. Which we knew to expect, but I will say that as a long time film fan, some of the shots felt slightly jarring to my eye. I associate Star Wars with the 1970's style of filmmaking. The inclusion of more modern camera shots (especially the tight-in hand held) definitely stands out. Not saying it's inherently bad, but it's very noticable as a visual departure one can't help but recognize knowing the style of the original films so well (and the dated camera work of the prequels).

The little the teaser did show was promising as far as visuals. But yet again Abrams displays an unhealthy fixation upon iconic visuals of the film eras of the past that he adores. Yes, it certainly looks, sounds and feels like Star Wars, in most ways even far more than the prequels. Therein lies my problem with these new films: a slavish reverence to the past. Abrams did it with "Super 8" and with "Star Trek Into Darkness", both of which suffered as a result. I'm concerned this "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" film is going to be another of Abrams fan fiction-like moives, all iconic nostalgia for classic Lucas and Speilberg recreated so perfectly that the entire film feels exactly like something we've already watched, right down to the story and character beats. I just hope this Star Wars film doesn't fall prey to Abrams worst tendencies. I want this movie to stand on its own.

I don't want to wallow in criticism typical of the internet, so I'm going to be positive. I did like what I saw. I want to be hopeful about this. The visual look of the film is great and plenty of what is teased intrigues me. What is Boyega doing in a stormtrooper suit? Who is the droid? Why is there so much imagery of the Imperials? Who is the black robbed figure with the sith-colored lightsaber? The mystery is certainly there and the teaser definitely succeeded in getting me to ask questions and start to get invested.

Lastly, I MUST say it was an awesome cultural statement that the first moving image we see of the new Star Wars is John Boyega. THAT was bold. A real break from the norm and an excellent cultural shot in the arm.
battletech

azrael wrote:

Counter point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsRVcmEG3VY
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
azrael

battletech wrote:Counter point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsRVcmEG3VY
A metal crossguard isn't the same as a crossguard made of freakin' energy that could you could cut yourself with.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
excalibur2008

azrael wrote:
battletech wrote:Counter point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsRVcmEG3VY
A metal crossguard isn't the same as a crossguard made of freakin' energy that could you could cut yourself with.
Since when have Star Wars fans become as anal about crap no one cares about as hardcore Star Trek fans?
MrMarch

Have you not been on the internet for the last 15 years? Nitpicking popular culture has been the national pastime of our bored-at-work population :)
Amion

Ah, the internet. :) I just gotta learn to laugh at it. And those of us that make it. :mrgreen:

My two cents worth:

As many times as I've found myself missing a hand in play-lightsaber fights in my childhood and now later in life thanks to the nascent force sensitivity of my nephew, I think the crossguard is a plus. Something needs to be there to stop someone from just sliding their blade down and slicing fingers off. Of course it adds an extra challenge and danger to the wielder, yes.

Of course, that could be fun to see just how grand a swordsman he is.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Wingnut

The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Dark Duel

Merci beaucoup. Je ne l'avais pas encore vu. :P

That said, I watched it at lunch, and have to say that I am eagerly anticipating this movie. The trailer doesn't give us too much to go on, but I'm liking what I see so far. And BB-8 is just cute, as droids go.
I want one. :D
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Zeonista

I am ready. Stop it with the spoiler-trailers and just bring on the movie!! 8)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
SlowTurtle

Got to see a early screening of the force awakens on Monday an I'll just say it was a HUGE let down for me as a long time Star Wars fan. No spoilers as to why until next week, hope others enjoy more thn I did. Episode 4 and 5 still hold my top spots for Star Wars followed by Clone Wars the Cartoon Network series.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
mcred23

I saw it at midnight last night, and as another huge Star Wars fan, I felt the complete opposite: I thought it was absolutely amazing. I'll hold off on anything substantial, even in spoiler tags, but I'll just say yay X-Wings. :mrgreen:
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
ShadowCell

just saw it an hour ago and i am a fairly incoherent puddle of joy right now oh man
YokozunaBulldozer

Poe Dameron felt like a final fusioned form of every senpai mecha pilot from every mecha show ever.
I love it.
Watching this film makes me want to buy the toy/model kits of either the first Order stormtrooper or the resistance X-wing which I would love to color it in Dameron's custom colors.
Overall fun ride and I look forward to the next two films.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Dark Duel

A Lego set already exists for Poe Dameron's black X-Wing, and I have also seen a small-scale toy version as well.
A quick cursory Google search turns up reference to a Revell snap-together model kit as well as a larger-scale toy version by Hasbro also being out there.

So there may not actually be a need to recolor anything :P
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Brave Fencer Kirby

I saw it yesterday. It wasn't bad by any means, but it didn't blow me away with awesomeness, either. I can't really say more without getting into spoilers, but that was my take on it.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Destiny_Gundam

Yeah, it was pretty good but I'm more excited about where the story can go from here since everything's been established now.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."