Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

phillosmaster wrote:Yeah I really have no complaints anymore with the show and I'll be really sad at this point if it gets cancelled. They are basically giving me everything I was asking for early on in the season.
Spoiler
I might be wrong but I assumed that was the centipede serum kicking in now that it didn't need to do the heavy lifting of keeping Garrett alive anymore. The affect (where Garrett starts glowing red) was similar to the Extremis and Centipede affect we've seen before. If I'm right that means he jumped up to Michael Peterson level just in time for an end boss fight at the end of the season.
Spoiler
The thing is, he has the Centipede serum and GH serum working together in him. And from his "I feel the universe" line (not something a person says everyday), it looks like the two might have interracted to make something more potent. :shock: We know GH is alien fluid of some kind; the Centipede serum might have thrown it into overdrive.
As for the series continuing, it's only a season finale coming up next week, and the series' popularity has been on the major uphill since the Uprising arc started. So I doubt it'll be cancelled at this point.
phillosmaster

Spoiler
Maybe Garrett will scream "UNIVEEEEEEEEEEEERSE!" next episode.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Destiny_Gundam

All shows will say it's the season finale, so that's not really a conformation that it will continue. Not getting renewed is different from being cancelled.

What could they do in a second season, anyways? The re-establishment of SHIELD will probably happen in one of the movies, and I'm sure the Garrett plot will end next episode. Will they remain fugitives and solve random cases every week? I doubt that could last long, especially with no support. They're only just scraping by as it is. But I guess if the A-Team can run for 5 seasons...

In regards to this episode,
Spoiler
I guess Ward really is irredeemable. Not only did he snipe Buddy (after he chickened out on doing it face to face, something he'd repeat with Fitz-Simmons), but he obviously cares a lot about Garrett. After what Deathlok did to him, I thought that would be what pushed Ward to turn on Garrett, but his reaction to the news of Garrett dying was genuine.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Wingnut

Oh man, this hit the nail on the head in every way.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Destiny_Gundam

An excellent season finale. I'm glad they didn't go the predictable route of
Spoiler
Ward redeeming himself in some way. That power tool fight was brutal.

Gotta love how Garrett was dispatched. You think he'll come back more improved but NOPE.
Guess I got my answer for what they'll do with season 2. Can't wait for more!
Wingnut

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Spoiler
Gotta love how Garrett was dispatched. You think he'll come back more improved but NOPE.
Spoiler
"There's a reason why they say cut off the head." Good point Garret, however.... "Hey guys! I found it. Told ya it'd be in here." It being that puruvian death ray that turns even hyped up super people into itty bitty pieces. :lol:

Also "Stupid stupid stupid, and cruel, and very stupid." "I think you made your point." Fury considering Colson in the same league as any of the other Avengers was touching and in a way brings full circle his appearances in every Phase 1 movie.
Sounds like we've seen the last of Fury until Avengers 2 from how he worded things.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
Shinji103

BEST. SEASON. FINALE. EVER.
Spoiler
I fangirl-squealed when Fury pulled out the Destroyer Gun. "I know what it does" says Phil. :D
Though I do wish they could have better replicated the special effects from the movie, the way we saw the gun in this episode was.........a bit weak in comparison.

Oh, and I fangirl-squealed when Fury showed up to save Simmons and Fitz. :D

Phil Coulson, director of SHIELD. I like the sound of that. :D I guess we know where the Avengers are getting their government (maybe?) support in Age of Ultron.

"Because you slept with her. And she's pissed." :D

I admit, I was stunned pretty much speechless when Garret got vaped by Coulson after "suiting up." I didn't see that prompt vaping part coming.......

Also, Ward is clearly not gone for good. Though I expected something more...."outsanding" for his defeat than just a Douchebag Downfall.

I fangirl-squealed yet again when Mike got the message that his son was safe. And then he turned and glared at Garret...... "You're gonna get it, sucker!" :D
Hope we get to see him as a cameo character in season 2, popping in to help the tem.

Interesting point: Garret never told Coulson and Fury that he was shot up with GH (which is why they didn't get the blood brothers connection), so while they blew it all off as crazy rants, it looks like he was really on to something.
I wonder if it's like the marker signal in Dead Space; like the marker, the GH is sending some kind of message to the person's brain, but if the person doesn't have the brainpower to comprehend it, it makes them go crazy instead.

On the other hand, this is one situation where common sense would be to call in Tony Stark for backup. I doubt Coulson would have a hard time getting a message to him, and this is hardly the situation to be keeping SHIELD's old secrets. (Coulson being dead officially) Too bad they probably didn't have the budget to bring in Robert Downey Jr. for the episode. Then again, they brought in Samuel L. Jackson.......but I guess they probably couldn't afford both. And Fury needed to be here more than Stark.
Destiny_Gundam wrote:An excellent season finale. I'm glad they didn't go the predictable route of
Spoiler
Ward redeeming himself in some way. That power tool fight was brutal.
Personally, I wouldn't have minded despite the cliche. They were clearly building that up, so I guess they'll do something about it in season 2?

Wingnut wrote:
Spoiler
Sounds like we've seen the last of Fury until Avengers 2 from how he worded things.
I thought there wasn't any more MCU besides Guardians of the Galaxy (which he wouldn't appear in) until Avengers 2 anyway.
Well, aside from season 2 of SHIELD this fall, in which he wouldn't appear much in anyway.
phillosmaster

So that finale brought us to a nice emotional climax for many of the characters. I think I would have been okay if that was the end of the series. Luckily it's not.
Spoiler
So we don't see Fitz again after Fury saves him. Not even in a hospital bed. I wonder what that's about.

Everything Fury says this episode was touching I think. Especially the part about peole like Phil having always been the heart of SHIELD and how he was always an Avenger. Pretty cool Nick.

Keeping Ward alive and in the series was interesting. I wonder how they will use him in the series going forward. Keeping Mike Peterson alive at the end was awesome. I wanna see more of vigilante Deathlok.

So is that Eric's Call Of Duty playing brother at the end or does Fury have a farm of Eric clones...maybe both.
Looking back on the season as a whole I think there was definitely way more good than bad, and it is a solid recommend. The last episode I really straight up didn't like was "Repairs" and that was in November. My main complaint was that the execution was pretty clumsy in episodes like "Repair", "Girl in the Flower Dress" and "The Hub". I wonder now how much of that was the series trying to find it's voice or the production schedule being challenged by the cap movie release schedule. You can see in retrospect what they were trying to do with those early episodes, but it's still hard to listen to Skye's religion monologue or watch Scorch's "character development".

That said I do have to remember back to season one Angel, which had a similar rocky start till about mid season where the series actually found it's voice. Anyone thinking of starting the series from the beginning keep this in mind while you watch those early episodes. It does get much much better.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Wingnut

Okay so this video is over a month old now, but for a little hype over season 2 airing later this month, I present the season 1 official blooper reel.
I really love it when the actors respond to these sort of errors without breaking character.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
Destiny_Gundam

Well, it's back and off to a good start.
Spoiler
Dat Absorbing Man, and damn that reveal about Simmons was a knife twist.
Wingnut

Yeah, that one guy really has one of the most useful abilities I've seen on a person. Or at least one of the most versatile. And I really do feel sorry for Fitz at this point. The flashback scene was a nice showing/tie-in to things going on in that time period with that crew and their own upcoming show.
What surprised me most though in this episode was that
Spoiler
they had Ward locked up in their basement. Was not expecting that one. Also it's sounding more like this season would be better named Ghosts of S.H.I.E.L.D. instead of Agents given how things were going down and the manpower problems Coleson has to deal with.

And damn, Hydra's catchphrase is indeed well suited given how many of them they found just off a simple ping trace. Methinks we need a new strategy to defeat them instead of just cutting off head after head.
Also, Season 1 roundup on Chaos Theater when?
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
Shinji103

I doubt Simmons is gone for good. The fact her actor is around instead of her character being written off tells me the character will be coming back, and all the news for season 2 said the principle cast (including Simmons) was coming back for season 2 anyway.

They did too good a job making us like Ward in season 1. I'm waiting quite impatiently for when he finally regains the trust of the team. (they practically announced this will happen from the "uneasy alliances" line Coulson gave with a shot of Ward at the end of the episode)
But I really cringed at Skye accusing Ward of liking killing people. Ward made it clear he didn't enjoy killing even after he showed his true colors, and unless Simmons completely lied when she told the others what happened when Ward dropped them in the water, they'd know that he didn't enjoy it at all.

That stupid @$$hat Talbot, though. Did we really need a bullheaded idiot who can't tell when somebody is clearly a good guy and stop ewasting time chasing him when there are real bad guys? And what happened to Coulson and the team cooperating with those military guys at the end of the season 1 finale, after the bus team saved several military officials? (it's the main reason I'm surprised Coulson's team are still considered fugitives in this season) Did Talbot decide to just completely ignore that? And all the times Coulson offered his help this episode?
Destiny_Gundam

Shinji103 wrote:I'm waiting quite impatiently for when he finally regains the trust of the team.
No, no, no, no, no. No. Definitely not happening, not after all the crap he pulled. Don't forget that Billy is short one brother thanks to him, and Fitz's condition is also his responsibility.
Spoiler
I'm sure if a man of his skills really wanted to kill himself, he'd be able to get the job done on the first try. It's probably some sort of ploy in order to escape.
Shinji103 wrote:That stupid @$$hat Talbot, though. Did we really need a bullheaded idiot who can't tell when somebody is clearly a good guy and stop ewasting time chasing him when there are real bad guys?
Kind of a requirement for dudes who used to chase the Hulk.
Shinji103

Destiny_Gundam wrote:No, no, no, no, no. No. Definitely not happening, not after all the crap he pulled. Don't forget that Billy is short one brother thanks to him, and Fitz's condition is also his responsibility.
I'd get ready for disappointment if I were you then. :P Like I said, the shot of Ward while Coulson talked about uneasy alliances said it all.
Destiny_Gundam

They might be forced to work with him at some point, but to trust him and be all buddy buddy with him? No.

His older brother is going to be in episode 6, so we'll see then how he'll factor into it.
phillosmaster

It's been really good so far.
Spoiler
I'd like to know if they are doing anything else with Hartley. Her story ended a bit abruptly for such a high profile cameo.
Shinji103

Destiny_Gundam wrote:They might be forced to work with him at some point, but to trust him and be all buddy buddy with him? No.
They definitely didn't bring him back for season 2 so he could stay in his cell for the rest of the series. Eventually this will happen, though it probably won't go into full effect until the end of the season. (maybe not fully buddy-buddy though) At worst, he'll make the sacrfice call at the end of the season which will gain back their trust, though that would be cliche. But if the staff were going to write off his character like this, they would have done it back at the end of season 1.
People were saying Simmons had truly betrayed the bus team and joined Hydra after last episode's preview. I really should've posted that I didn't agree. I knew that that "You think I wouldn't find out?" line in the preview would lead into a she's-not-a-traitor scene. ^^b
His older brother is going to be in episode 6, so we'll see then how he'll factor into it.
I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't re-evaluate Ward's situation for the team, though probably only Skye since she didn't seem entirely convinced of Ward's family's influence on him. On the other hand that might be a good bit cliche too, so we'll find out.

phillosmaster wrote:It's been really good so far.
Spoiler
I'd like to know if they are doing anything else with Hartley. Her story ended a bit abruptly for such a high profile cameo.
I'd bet she's dead. The way they faked us out by making us think she'd lose her hand and survive, then ripped it all away from us, tells me she's gone.
Destiny_Gundam

I've been really impressed with Iain De Caestecker this season. Some one give that kid an Emmy.
Shinji103

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I've been really impressed with Iain De Caestecker this season. Some one give that kid an Emmy.
Which character is he again? The new field guy?
Destiny_Gundam

5 seconds on Google, dude :lol:

I'm talking about Fitz.