Star Trek into Darkness

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
watchtower000

Re: Star Trek into Darkness

hawk of endymion wrote:Re-watched the trailer the other day, saw that finally installed a brig on the Enterprise (where was that in the first movie?)

It amaze me that some directors are crapped on their cliches, but Abrams is celebrated (so done with the dumb homages to fans, look out Star Wars). I think this movie should be renamed: Star Trek: The Wrath of NOT Khan.
Yo, I feel like someone already explained this to you on your last post hawk. bout how you complained about star trek being an action movie and abrams not being called out on that...I mean, how is this new post any different?

when in the first movie did they need a brig though? Kirk was thrown off the ship the moment he disobeyed orders and bucked the chain of command.

I always thought that the reason Abrams isn't 'crapped' on for his use of "cliches" is because he uses the right amount of homage to the original series to keep most of the trekky's happy while applying new things to keep newer audiences interested. In other words, it isn't whorish and I would call Abrams a genius for doing such fantastic work in balancing the 2 elements.

It is similar to Peter Jackson in the LOTR's movies, there are people, mostly purest of the book series, that hated the films. But more casual fans and just mainstream audiences loved them. And it made SHIT storms of money.

oh, what 'cliches' are you talking about actually? I mean, yo, how can we discuss this when you gave us nothing to discuss?

Are you disappointed that star trek into darkness doesn't have khan in it? If you do, let me ask you. what do you want from star trek anyway? you seem upset that abrams uses 'cliches (?),' yet you don't seem happy that abrams is being original and creating a new bad for the crew to fight? consider me confused man. i don't understand what you don't like? i mean, you can't have the Best of Both Worlds... (boom reference!)
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Sorry guys but Benedict Cumberbatch and I are going to get married, go to london on our honeymoon, and have 3-4 beautiful diabolical babies...I just can't resist him after the new international trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhz4A5BCMAA

You have gotten my attention now Benedict.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Toxicity

Looks neat, but I'm not too keen on the idea of our second reboot villain being just another guy butthurt at the Federation for some reason and looking for revenge.
Soma Taozi

Well after the newest (and last) trailer for Into Darkness, my new belief is that Benedict is a mirror universe version of Kirk...simply because of his ship...

But hey, watch and judge for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... ec_rPApKCA
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Dark Duel

Soma Taozi wrote:Well after the newest (and last) trailer for Into Darkness, my new belief is that Benedict is a mirror universe version of Kirk...simply because of his ship...
After watching it, I'd have to say I see what you mean. I gotta say, the more I see, the more psyched I get for this movie.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
kayone73

According to the official Into Darkness app that is available on smarphones, they released a shot of the mystery ship and call it 'USS Vengeance'

No other details aside from that. The image available on the app is over darkened, but its been lightened up with photoshop to pull out the details.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj29 ... enedup.jpg
Antares

The more I see of this new Trek, the more I want to withdraw back to my cave and rewatch TNG episodes (skipping 99% of the "holodeck goes cracy" -episodes, though). This new Trek just seems unnecessarily convoluted and self-aware as a money-making machine. I accept being called old and closed-minded for disliking it in advance because of that. :oops:
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Xenosynth

I dunno. I don't really mind it. The movies really only have a few scant differences in terms of the general feel of what they do, and the main for me is, they drop the technobabble. I've watched TNG, DS9 (My personal favorite), and Voyager and I don't really see how it's 'self aware' as a money making machine, besides the fact it's a reboot and as a movie, it has to focus on grabbing audience interest beyond just the fandom, and something that will make up for the cost of the movie (Hence why the movies that generally did well had a more actiony feel to them, Trekkies aren't going to make up all the production costs themselves.)

I'm not criticizing your views, but I do wish to ask that you elaborate on them a bit? As a person who loves the old Trek (Well, I don't really enjoy TOS. Only certain episodes have aged well >_>) I am just curious about why new Trek is so different to you.
Soma Taozi

Antares wrote: I accept being called old and closed-minded for disliking it in advance because of that. :oops:
No one here is going to call you that :)

Honestly if we have to sit through some dumbed down Star Trek for a few years, so we can get a smart new show (that will hopefully be better than Voyager), then I think it will all be worth it. Until then i appreciate the new Star Trek movies for what they are, well-made, well-acted, well-directed, ACTION films. Besides it is fun to see Kirk and Spock go on adventures again, even if they are being played by new guys. For some die-hard trekkies, I know a lot of them admit that these movies are a bit of a "guilty pleasure."

Besides, I think many will agree with me that star trek was kinda getting old and dying out anyway (although Enterprise was slowly getting better with every passing season). So I like the energy these films bring to star trek, it is rather invigorating to see.

-Me, 7/19/2020
Antares

Whatever explanations I give are by default very subjective. I am desperately trying not to whine about everything being great before, while everything today is shit, and am aware that I might come across as doing exactly that. :D

I suppose the best way to summarize this is to contextualize Trek as an original science fiction series. By this I mean the opening statement of Trek, relating to new frontiers, explorations, and all that. It connects to the very basic essence of sci-fi (and US history, frontiers, and whatnot). In short, it might've been crummily done, but it had an idea behind it. Instead of making massive profits, it centered (to my understanding) around Roddenberry's desire to tell stories (not that he minded getting paid, nor the stories always that good).
Xenosynth wrote: I don't really see how it's 'self aware' as a money making machine, besides the fact it's a reboot and as a movie, it has to focus on grabbing audience interest beyond just the fandom, and something that will make up for the cost of the movie.
Yes, and to me the movie seemed very self-aware of its existing audience to milk out, but also to use a well-recognized brand name to get more viewers. Because this wasn't the old Trek, this was the newer, edgier Trek. I don't argue the financial reality behind the decision at all. It makes sense if you want to make a commercial hit. But a commercial hit does not always a good story make. 8)
Soma Taozi wrote:Honestly if we have to sit through some dumbed down Star Trek for a few years, so we can get a smart new show (that will hopefully be better than Voyager), then I think it will all be worth it. Until then i appreciate the new Star Trek movies for what they are, well-made, well-acted, well-directed, ACTION films.
I never considered this potential positive outcome! I don't have a problem with new guys, but I do take issue with lack of proper scripting and storytelling (I assume well-made can be taken to mean here that it looks good with loud noises and shiny bits? :mrgreen: ). Still, maybe you're right, and something decent comes out of this creative destruction of the franchise in the long run. :wink:
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Xenosynth

Eh, as long as the movies aren't as terrible as previous movies, I really don't mind them. Almost none of the movies have been as cerebral as the show. And the actors themselves have done a great job at capturing their roles. I mean, even the older actors, or in the case of James Doohan, his kids, have given the new actors their blessing.

The only real problem I have with the first movie is the storytelling direction being much better when you consider the background works about Nero and whatnot. I will agree that they really didn't go into him as much as they should have and that he's a bit of a boring villain. Still, better than the Son'a leader from Insurrection who's name I can't even remember at the moment, and plotwise better than Generations >.>

I feel the movies are otherwise in the middle. I don't like the new ones as much as II, III, and IV (I still need to watch I, V, and VI), but I find them much better than the four TNG era films.
Dendrobium Stamen

Saw it in IMAX 3D today.

Oh my.

No spoilers, no plot details, but it was quite simply a fantastic film, an excellent sequel to the 2009 reboot, and a very worthy latest instalment in the Star Trek franchise.
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Soma Taozi

Saw it. Loved it. Quicky review is go SEE it!

I too will avoid spoilers (since everything I theorized was wrong) but I have to say that this movie is VERY clever with some role reversal. And I also enjoyed how it didn't feel the need to have a large action scene at the end that isn't entirely necessary (cough Iron Man 3).

This movie is some great Star Trek and I am happy that this series is FUN again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Toxicity

I've just gotten back from seeing it at the local IMAX, and any skepticism I had was put to rest within the first few minutes of the film. There was only one thing in particular that bothered me, so I'll do the honors of starting the inevitable spoiler block spam.
Spoiler
I understand that there probably wasn't much that could have been done with the situation, but I didn't like how easily Kirk died and then was brought back. After all, when Spock made the same sacrifice back in The Wrath of Khan, it took two films, a blown up enterprise and planet, the near destruction of another, a dead son, and plenty of other things I can't remember in order for the status quo to be finally restored.
I also giggled like a damn school girl when I realized who CPT Abbott's actor was. It was only a minor part, but I didn't know he did work outside of voicing for anime and such.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Wow, I wish I saw the movie you guys saw. Because at times it seemed like Star Trek fan-fiction.

There was a nugget of a good story, then nothing but dumb references and mediocrity.

The first Star Trek movie was so much better.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Toxicity

You sound like you only watched that one movie reviewer's video from the Escapist.
Mu La Flaga

Dear Hawk of Endymion, admirer of Sir Bay and other such acclaimed directors.
Why not outline your thoughts in spoilers so people know what you and dislike about the movie itself?
I personally really liked this movie, I thought it was a huge step up compared to the first movie.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Toxicity wrote:You sound like you only watched that one movie reviewer's video from the Escapist.
No, I watched the movie itself. I don't even know about that video.
Mu La Flaga wrote:Dear Hawk of Endymion, admirer of Sir Bay and other such acclaimed directors.
Why not outline your thoughts in spoilers so people know what you and dislike about the movie itself?
I personally really liked this movie, I thought it was a huge step up compared to the first movie.
Other directors have nothing to do with my opinions about this movie.

We will be reviewing this on the show, so I'll go more in detail then, but here's a few of my thoughts:
Spoiler
The good: the mention of Section 31, the reason to use Khan, Admiral Robocop
The bad: not going further with the Section 31 angle, the whole reenactment of Wrath of Khan (not being its own movie), the ending
The dumb: the tribble, the countless references to previous Star Treks (there comes a point where references become dumb
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Mu La Flaga

Ah well then, fair points, all I will say in response is the Tribble had a small tiny role to play :P
Wingnut

The tribble did it's job, and did it well. I did not mind at all. While I have similar minor quibbles about things as Neo, I have to side more with my friends across the pond and domestic and say that the whole was far better then the sum of the minor "bad" parts, though some did get far too cheesy and call backy to TWoK instead of doing their own thing and/or lines.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.