SF Debris

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Vent Noir

SF Debris

Just wondering, does anyone else here watch SF Debris? I got into him via Atop the Fourth Wall, and am enjoying watching his science fiction reviews, whether mocking a bad Star Trek Voyager episode or providing insights into Babylon 5. I get a feeling a lot of other people here would like his reviews, so I'm basically posting to plug his show.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Newtype87

Re: SF Debris

I've been following SFDebris since… oh, wow, back when he only had like ten videos on YouTube. Dang, that was a long time ago. I love his work, and it's a lot of fun to listen to him. Especially because he has substance to his stuff, and isn't just trying to be funny. Like his bit about why the scenario in "Real Life" hurts him so much on a personal level.

Also, his reactions to Evangelion are hilarious. "No, wait, I'm lost again."
"WE ARE THE HARO. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Ascension
"Sucks to be you. Sucks to be you." - Haro
"My godlike powers must be getting rusty." - Graham
Hyakushiki

Love his reviews, I especially love his Star Trek series reviews and his alternate character interpretations like overbearing tyrant Janeway, badass Sisko, insane Archer. I particularly liked his analysis of the Prime Directive and how horribly misapplied it is.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Vent Noir

Hmmm... if there are a few of us that watch him, maybe we could get together and donate in order to get him to do something mecha-related (apart from Evangelion). I was thinking of the original Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy, although Code Geass would be entertaining to watch him riff on.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Kavik Ryx

Vent Noir wrote:Hmmm... if there are a few of us that watch him, maybe we could get together and donate in order to get him to do something mecha-related (apart from Evangelion). I was thinking of the original Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy, although Code Geass would be entertaining to watch him riff on.
That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. Ever since he started taking requests, I've wanted to give one for either PLANETES or Unicorn, though I had already given a double request at one time, and am not quite in the situation to make another one quite yet. Now a request crowd sourced from MAHQ... That would be different.

It just occurred to me that it has actually been two and a half years since watching became part of my Saturday morning (now evening) ritual. Even before he started reviewing it, he got me interested enough in Doctor Who to start watching it, and eventually to watch reconstructions of the old Hartnell and Troughton episodes. When I have enough time, I should really rewatch [urlhttp://sfdebris.com/videos/doctorwho/wiped.asp/]Lost in Time.[/url]
SlowTurtle

I started read his reviews and if this idea gose through then sign me up.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
Vent Noir

Kavik Ryx wrote: That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. Ever since he started taking requests, I've wanted to give one for either PLANETES or Unicorn, though I had already given a double request at one time, and am not quite in the situation to make another one quite yet. Now a request crowd sourced from MAHQ... That would be different.
I'm thinking if we're going to do it, we'll need a title that

1. Has been commercially released in English.
2. Doesn't require the viewer to be familiar with a lot of continuity going in (which would be an issue with Unicorn)
3. Isn't too long (Yeah, he did whole of Avatar the Last Airbender, but I doubt he'd be willing to do something like that on a regular basis. Avatar also had the advantage of being split into three seasons).
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Kavik Ryx

Well there are Gundam F91 and Macross Plus. Neither require much familiarity into their respective universes. However, both run into the same things as Rebuild 1. They are nice to look at, but are difficult to emotionally invest in. There is, of course 0080. I don't think 0080 requires too much familiarity with the Universal Century to digest. It does run the advantage of being so good, yet have so much little wrong things going for it.
Toxicity

I've been watching this guy's videos, and i love them. This is some of the funniest stuff I've seen in a while. I'd be interested in chipping in some dosh to have this guy review something gundam or mecha related, personally i think it would be hilarious if we could get him to review a couple episodes out of Outlaw Star.
MechLife

I'll join onto this! I only watch occasionally but it's very funny
Vent Noir

Weird idea for what we could ask him to do: How about some Robotech? It's significant due to being one of the first cartoons with a continuing storyline screened in the western world, but there's also a lot of stuff to potentially mock.

Bear in mind that Chuck has said he doesn't want to do too many long series, so I'm thinking of maybe asking him to review the first couple of episodes, with perhaps more in the future.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Toxicity

I have little love for robotech, so I'm not interested in that one. Alternatively, I might suggest Do You Remember Love?, however I don't know if it is available dubbed, and if it isn't, will he review something with subtitles?
Vent Noir

Well, part of the reason I suggested Robotech is the same part of me that enjoys listening to him ripping into some godawful Voyager episode. The fact that DYRL doesn't have an official English release is probably gonna hamper it.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

bullethead

Vent Noir wrote:Weird idea for what we could ask him to do: How about some Robotech? It's significant due to being one of the first cartoons with a continuing storyline screened in the western world, but there's also a lot of stuff to potentially mock.

Bear in mind that Chuck has said he doesn't want to do too many long series, so I'm thinking of maybe asking him to review the first couple of episodes, with perhaps more in the future.
Get him to review the 80s movie (if there's copies of that available) or Shadow Chronicles.
Vent Noir

Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Shaznobble

Me and some buddies have been trying to raise fund for him to review the MSG Movie trilogy. Figured it was perfect since it mirrors Star Trek TOS In a lot of ways (Series gets bad ratings when it airs, becomes a huge success in syndication, and then gets movies and a bunch of series and becomes a cultural instituion afterwords.)
Vent Noir

I might be interested in contributing.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Toxicity

I'm very excited to hear that he's going to be reviewing John Carpenter's The Thing at some point this year.