Pacific Rim the movie (2013) - Guillermo del Toro

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
South Burning

Re: Pacific Rim the movie (2013) - Guillermo del Toro

I saw the trailer in a movie theater over the weekend, so now I know how it will look on the big screen. It was a little on the dark and obscured side, but it was still as clear as most big battle scenes in sci-fi movies are and the sound was very good. I think it will be a great sci-fi action flic and I cant wait to see it. The trailer also had a fairly close release date (which I forgot in all the excitement) so we won't have to wait long!
Zeonista

I saw the trailer in the theater too. I feel rather obliged to go see it. I have to, it is giant robots saving the Earth from giant monsters!.My inner child is hopping up and down and giggling and clapping with glee! :D
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Dark Duel

South Burning wrote:The trailer also had a fairly close release date (which I forgot in all the excitement) so we won't have to wait long!
July 12, 2013, according to what I've been able to find.
Should be fun.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Laevatein

Comic-Con Trailer

Why is it not July 12 yet?!?!?!?!11
Toxicity

I've been vaguely aware of this film for a while and saw the trailer for it when I saw iron man 3 last night. Looks cool as hell, but the blatant ripoff of the portal voice drove me up the wall. I guess it's just a sign of the times and I shouldn't be surprised by yet another reminder of hollywood's inability to come up with anything original these days.
Laevatein

You do realize the reason they do have GLaDOS' voice in there was because Del Toro specifically asked for it there? More specifically, he asked Valve if he could have Ellen Mclain (GLaDOS' VA) do that voice acting for Pacific Rim, since he's a big fan of the games.
Toxicity

I like the portal games and all, but fuck me I think the media just needs to get over it and come up with something original or make reference to something else that hasn't been beaten to death already in recent years like the "Reactor...Online" startup voice from Mechwarrior maybe or the Star Trek TNG era computer voice.
Laevatein

I really don't think the GLaDOS voice is overused, considering that its only appearance in media previously is the Portal games (which by itself isn't known to the wider public afaik), and its appearance in this film is due to Del Toro being a Portal fan, thus making it a blatant homage. Besides, Star Trek's TNG era voice is hardly something unique, and whose style actually is more overused in media.
Outlaw

Toxicity wrote:I like the portal games and all, but ZOINKS me I think the media just needs to get over it and come up with something original or make reference to something else that hasn't been beaten to death already in recent years like the "Reactor...Online" startup voice from Mechwarrior maybe or the Star Trek TNG era computer voice.
From what I understand (which could be wrong) while Ellen McLain will be voicing the computer in Pacific Rim the use of the "GLaDOS style voice" was only for the one trailer.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
mikethemod1992

I really want to see this one. Looks like the Original Getter Robo meets Evangelion
The fall of the Titans, Axis risen the power as Neo Zeon, the colony drop of Dublin, Neo Zeon's attempts of dropping Axis on Earth and the death of Amuro and Char were all caused because one douchebag Titan solider thought that one angsty teenager's name sounded like a girls name.
GX9900-Gundam-X

All in all Guillermo del Toro has never disappointed and this may lead to a surge of interest in the mecha genre all in all this excites me greatly!
When life gives you lemons YOU HIT LIFE IN THE FACE WITH A ZANKANTOU
Arbiter GUNDAM

I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Arbiter GUNDAM

--Freyja Wion
Zaphod

Aynone else excited to watch Pacific Rim?

Just found some stunning behind-the-scenes stills and those Pacific Rim giant Jaeger posters! Super stoked for this movie.

http://imgur.com/a/XuSqN
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Since the movie comes out tomorrow and has been getting good early reviews, I though I would share a video I found on youtube where Guillermo del Toro discusses the different Jaegers and how they were designed. Interesting stuff and perfect for mechatalk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn0MenBcz_s
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Arbiter GUNDAM

--Freyja Wion
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Color me confused lol

What does Cote de Pablo leaving NCIS have to do with Pacific Rim?
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Wingnut

Sad as I am by that news, nothing. Methinks it was a link sitting on his clipboard and he miscopied or simply forgot to copy the link he wanted to and pasted the NICS article here instead. Happened to me once.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.