The Power Rangers/Super Sentai/Tokusatsu thread

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Vent Noir

The Power Rangers/Super Sentai/Tokusatsu thread

Okay, from what I've seen on these boards, I'm the resident Super Sentai/Power Rangers fan (although I wouldn't class myself as a fanatic). I was just wondering, with a new series about to start up, who's gonna be watching it?
Last edited by Vent Noir on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Gatx

Re: Power Rangers Samurai

I don't have a TV here at school so I probably won't be watching it. There are a couple things that are pretty interesting about this though, for one Saban got the rights back from Disney, and Bulk is going to be returning, though he's pretty old now. I'll keep up with internet discussions at most though.
TetraVaal

I just watched the sneek peak and shook my head, lol.

They'll never top the original Rangers, that franchise peaked with the introduction of the green ranger.
Mu La Flaga

I stopped at Power Rangers Lost Galaxy.

I stopped keeping up with them since then.
I like the original MMPR, forget Zeo and Turbo.

In Space was awesome and brought it back from death.
Lost Galaxy was also awesome for it's story.

Those are my quick thoughts.
Wilks Waldwika

Then you missed Dinothunder. Where Tommy comes back as DOCTOR Tommy Oliver Black Dinothunder Ranger.
Mu La Flaga

I heard about that on Rangercentral.com once ages back.
Last one I watched as like the best of Power Rangers which had 4-5 episodes on a DVD and all.
Vent Noir

I should also mention that I have seen Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, which was a really good show. Of course, a good sentai show isn't a guarantee of a good Power Rangers show (Dekaranger/SPD, for example), but I am cautiously optimistic.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Sume Gai

I've been heavily nostalgia tripping for the past few months so I figured I'd check out a staple of my childhood once more to see what's changed and what remained the same.

After a peak at the first episode I'm fairly ambivalent. Saban is being aggressive after reacquiring the license so it isn't impossible to think we'll see some In Space or Time Force quality writing. I'm also pleased to see Bulk return. The theme song was short and very reminiscent of the original (maybe a bit too much so?) and the effects looked very nice.

On the other Hand, I think my biggest complaint with the first episode was that it wasn't an origin story. It felt like basic early filler which was designed to introduce us to a specific character and his personality traits (in this case Mike the green ranger) There's nothing wrong with that but I personally think something with more of a hook would have worked better.

I do hope we learn a bit more about the origin of these new rangers in episodes to come.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Vent Noir

I've heard some people saying it's actually episode 3. No idea why Saban/Nick would do that.

BTW, my statement about "a good Super Sentai show doesn't necessarily mean a good Power Rangers series" has a corollary that a bad Super Sentai show doesn't necessarily mean a bad Power Rangers series. OhRanger is infamous as the show that almost killed Super Sentai, but Power Rangers Zeo was pretty good. Gingaman was pretty average, but Lost Galaxy is one of the best PR seasons.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Vent Noir

Also, I've mentioned it a couple of times on the boards before, but take a look at Linkara's History of Power Rangers if you haven't already seen it.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Sume Gai

Vent Noir wrote:I've heard some people saying it's actually episode 3. No idea why Saban/Nick would do that.
Strange and silly as that may seem it's exactly where such an episode should be. Perhjaps they intend to air the origin story as some kind of special later on (though why one do so -after- the premiere doesn't make much sense)
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
wilcosu35

i haven't seen a power rangers show since i was a kid. but when i heard the original series was brought back for 2010, i got interested again. however, before i could watch any of it, i discovered the japanese roots op power rangers, super sentai, which i started watching.
(and collecting the robots, the japanese versions)
and honestly, i think i'll stick to the japanese for a while, i really like super sentai.
i've seen some of the more recent power rangers on youtube, including the first morphscene for samurai, but somehow the acting appears forced to me.
the japanese versions just seem more natural.
so far i've seen deka, magi, bouk, geki, go-on, shinken and gosei, and although i found magi and go-on a bit weaker, the others were very good, especially bouk, geki and shinken.

i've also been viewing the reviews of mr. linkara and i decided that, while not in the immediate future, i really should see the power rangers again.
Mu La Flaga

You know Vent, you should have just made this the general Power Ranger's thread or something :P
Vent Noir

Mu La Flaga wrote:You know Vent, you should have just made this the general Power Ranger's thread or something :P
Good idea. Changed the title to "The Power Rangers/Super Sentai/Tokusatsu thread".

Speaking of Super Sentai, Pirate Sentai Goukaiger's just starting, too. I'm interested in this one (having missed Goseiger). Will anyone else be watching it?

EDIT: Also, Here's the OP if you want a taste
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

wilcosu35

Re: The Power Rangers/Super Sentai/Tokusatsu thread

yes, i will be watching this :P
i've been really looking forward to this series, since goseiger wasn't the greatest
that OP looks good.
Raiden

PR just barely escapes the grasp of death when it just needs to go. I wasn't too thrilled about Samurai cause it just felt like it was shoehorning alot stuff from MMPR like Bulk...i really don't understand why people went gaga when they heard he was coming back. The slapshtick comedy wasn't a reason why kids watched it back in the day, it was just for the fighting and you guys know it :D.

Anyway my thoughts on Goukaiger Ep 1
Spoiler
Damn that was better than i expected!

I love how they just break the usual Hero antics that we normally see so to speak, and actually have them not give a damn. Very Piratey. Of course they will learn what it is to be one but it should be interesting to see this play out.

The fights were just awesome, I just love the chaos that the Gokaiger were able to do on their own before they decided to transform into the Goangers, Shinkengers, and Magirangers. Ahim and Don just swinging and shooting was wicked. As was the freaking sword boomerang throws.

And Legend War was awesome, i love how DragonRanger gets a nice brief standalone shot of him just kicking ass by himself.

Can't wait for Episode 2!!
And Capt. Marvelous is bad ass. Can't say that i hope it doeasn't turn out like Decade but i think its off to a good start.
Mu La Flaga

So to discuss some Power Rangers stuff.
I want to put this out.
I am not much of a fan of Zeo or Turbo, I did like some of Turbo's Zords.

But I loved the original MMPR 3 seasons of Zords, In Space and Lost Galaxy the most of all.
I can go more in depth on this stuff.
Vent Noir

Raiden wrote:PR just barely escapes the grasp of death when it just needs to go. I wasn't too thrilled about Samurai cause it just felt like it was shoehorning alot stuff from MMPR like Bulk...i really don't understand why people went gaga when they heard he was coming back. The slapshtick comedy wasn't a reason why kids watched it back in the day, it was just for the fighting and you guys know it :D.
I don't think PR "needs to go" any more than Super Sentai does.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Mu La Flaga

I agree, Power Rangers has it's place in the world.

Man do I ever feel sorry for Kamen Rider Black RX when it got changed for coming over here though.
I mean I like the series alot, but that was the only way I saw some of it.

Just to say on that stuff.
Vent Noir

In other Toku stuff, I've just watched the first episode of ChouSeiShin Gransazers. Pretty good so far, I'll keep watching to see how it develops.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter