What books are you reading?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Vent Noir

Re: What books are you reading?

I liked The Friday Society, although a couple of things in the climax strained credibility. Now on to Goliath, the final book of Scott Westerfeld's "Leviathan" trilogy.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
mcred23

Choices of One was good, essentially a sequel to Allegiance with some nods to a few of Zahn's Star Wars short stories that I've read in other books.

After that, I read through Zahn's latest Star Wars book, Scoundrels, which was excellent. It included a number of little references and nods to things that were enjoyable, and the latter part of the book was as exciting as any of his other books. Oh, and the ending... Well, I'll just say it was something of a twist and very well done. :mrgreen:

Now, I've got one last new Star Wars book to read, the also new-ish X-Wing: Mercy Kill. I loved the X-Wing series, but this one is set something like 30 years down the line, and I've only read two books from the New Jedi Order series and nothing from the stuff set after that (Although I am familiar with some of the goings on, which is why I've been reluctant to go into those books :|). So, I'm just a bit hesitant and suspect some things won't make sense to me, but oh well... 8)
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Vent Noir

Finished Goliath, and enjoyed it as much as I did the first two books in the Leviathan trilogy. Is it too much to hope it'll get made into a movie someday? Maybe if Pacific Rim does well at the box office...

Up next, Fury of the Phoenix by Cindy Pon, the sequel to Silver Phoenix
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Vent Noir

Fury of the Phoenix was a bit disappointing. I don't really think the parallel storylines worked all that well.

Up next, Phoenix Rising by Ryk E. Spoor. Despite the similar titles, nothing to do with the previous book.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Vent Noir

Finished Phoenix Rising, which I liked. Hopefully we get to see the other stuff Spoor has planned for this world.

Also currently reading Ally Carter's second Heist Society book, Uncommon Criminals.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Vent Noir

Finished Uncommon Criminals. I think there's a third Heist Society book coming out soon, I'm looking forward to it.

Now starting on Priestess of the White by Trudi Canavan and, on the nonfiction side of things, Writing for Comics and Graphic Novels by Peter David.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Antares

Last time I posted, I was going through Joe Haldeman's Peace and War (The Omnibus Edition). It was as good as I had hoped. Provocative thinking (at least I got that), so I can recommend it onward if sci-fi with a militaristic flair gets you going.

Also got through Daniel Suarez's Daemon. Highly readable, although I found the going all too smooth for Sobol, and by the end the swarms of AutoM8s and the Razorbacks felt like the thing was jumping the shark already. Not that I could challenge the tech Suarez paraded out; that was too far outside my field. But I did like it overall, and want to get to the next book as soon as possible.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Vent Noir

Over halfway through Priestess of the White, still 300 pages to go, and not much has happened. I think I'll be setting it aside, at least for now.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Vent Noir

Also got Daughter of the Flames by Zoe Marriott from the library, which was mediocore. I'm now onto Sister Assassin by Kiersten White.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Zeonista

Currently {i}Andromdea's Fall[/i] by William C. Dietz. It was personally recommended to me by David Drake at Millenicon this past weekend. I took it as an expert opinion. ;)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Vent Noir

Finished Sister Assassin, which I didn't care for (especially the ending). I haven't been lucky with my books recently.

Anyway, I've gotten The Outlaws of Sherwood by Robin McKinley out from the library, and am also looking at A Soldier's Duty by Jean Johnson, which was recommended in the Mecha in SF Novels thread on these boards.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Defiant

I recently finished both Ender in Exile and Shadow in Exile, the ending of the Bean storyline and the wrapup of the Ender storyline. Next up shall be Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Phillip K. Dick, the primary basis for Blade Runner.
SlowTurtle

Just started reading Ben Bova's newest book Farside, not far enought into to say anything now but good ol' Ben has yet to let me down.
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
YokozunaBulldozer

Starting Full Metal Panic Another and that Gundam X side story manga, finishing Mobile Suit Gundam: Origin.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
mcred23

Another six weeks of catch up...

X-Wing: Mercy Kill was really good, fitting right in with the rest of that series. There wasn't a lot from the later works that I haven't read that really came up in a way that made me feel like I was missing out on a lot, which helped, although if they ever do more X-Wing novels set in the same era I might have to finally read some of those NJO books...

After that, I took a break from Star Wars to knock out a few other things. I went through Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange pretty quick and enjoyed it, although some of the language took a bit to make sense of. After that I read Joe Haldeman's Forever Free, which was a nice sequel The Forever War, but is a very different kind of book (Sort of like how the three books that follow Ender's Game are rather different from it).

At the moment, I just started Haldeman's Forever Peace, and liking it quite a bit so far.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Dark Duel

Gundam: The Origin - Activation
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Antares

mcred23 wrote:After that I read Joe Haldeman's Forever Free, which was a nice sequel The Forever War, but is a very different kind of book (Sort of like how the three books that follow Ender's Game are rather different from it).
At the moment, I just started Haldeman's Forever Peace, and liking it quite a bit so far.
They were all good books, though. There is a change in the tone, but the veterans stay in the focus throughout. I especially liked the concept of forced pacifism and a hive-mind in the last one.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
YokozunaBulldozer

Finished Gundam Origin. Full Metal Panic Another is at a halt so I am reading Platina Data by Higashino Keigo.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Vent Noir

Finished The Outlaws of Sherwood. Liked McKinley's take on the Robin Hood legend, and the depth she brings to the characters.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Vent Noir

Finished A Soldier's Duty. Okay, but not as good as some of the other Mil-SF I've read. I am interested enough that I intend to read An Officer's Duty at some point, though. But for now, on to Sword and Sorceress XVII.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter