Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Darksider

Star Wars: The Clone Wars

I don't know if anyone has seen the movie yet, but there's a new trailer up for the series.

trailer

Looks pretty good.

High points:

*Apparent focus on some characters other than anakin and Obi-wan
*Grevious' new super-ship (The Malevolence)
Grevious backhanding a battle droid for pulling stupid antics
Sume Gai

I still can't get past the ugly CG

I just don't like what I'm seeing... at all.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Darksider

Sume Gai wrote:I still can't get past the ugly CG

I don't really understand why people are raggin on the CGI for this. Sure it's not as great as the stuff they used in the movies, but it really isn't that bad.
J-Lead

Darksider wrote:
Sume Gai wrote:I still can't get past the ugly CG

I don't really understand why people are raggin on the CGI for this. Sure it's not as great as the stuff they used in the movies, but it really isn't that bad.
It's not so much the quality of the CGI as it is the ugly character models and god awful artistic direction. The battles themselves actually look pretty impressive.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Darksider

J-Lead wrote:
It's not so much the quality of the CGI as it is the god awful character models and artistic direction.
You mean like the fact that obi-wan looks like he's wearing a plastic toupee?

Thank Genndy Tartakovsky for that.

I still don't know why they chose to follow the artistic style of the micro series. Still, I was actually at a panel with the creators of this new series at Star Wars Celebration IV in California. They said that despite the artistic style, they're leaving some of the dumber things from the cartoon out, like the retarded notion of a military force with full-auto blaster rifles deciding to joust the enemy on speeder bikes, or that retardedly useless siesmic tank from the episode with Mace Windu.
Xanadu

I lost all possible respect I had for clone wars due to the whole "younglings" thing. I dont even know if i'm spelling it right
Gadget

With Wall.E screening, it does makes Clone wars look cartoonish. When I first saw the thriller, I thought it was a commercial for Lego.

The rumors is this. The Clone War was meant as a 12(?) episode weekly cartoon. But George Lucus was so impress with the screening that he told cartoon company, (Which is a division of Lucusflim) to change it into a movie. It does explain it looks more Reboot and Beast War than Cars or Wall.E.
lalahsghost

When did Star-Wars become demographically popular/UN-nerdy? Seriously, it is a cultural norm now. I still see it as
lol sci-fi spice of life dune lol, lemme see ur custom lightsabrrrrrrrrr, I roll 20's in my mom's basement 'cause I weigh 300lbs
type of affair. I can't get into the original 3, the new 3, so I can only dismiss the new CG flick as unbearable.
dreacon

while i did enjoy the film (grainy, pixilated and Dubbed in Spanish though it may have been) I got a kick out of it. It was well, "Fun" i ignored the Dexter's Lab look of it and had a Ball with it. It was alot more Light hearted then what a Clone Wars story should be, and the plot was iffy. Over looking those however i saw a light hearted Jedi Comedy.
We're oft' t' blame and this tis' too much prove'd that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er the devil himself.
Brave Fencer Kirby

Darksider wrote:They said that despite the artistic style, they're leaving some of the dumber things from the cartoon out, like the retarded notion of a military force with full-auto blaster rifles deciding to joust the enemy on speeder bikes, or that retardedly useless siesmic tank from the episode with Mace Windu.
See, you call those things dumb, I call them awesome. But then, maybe that's because I care more about entertainment value than how badly the thing rapes Star Wars canon.
lalahsghost wrote:When did Star-Wars become demographically popular/UN-nerdy? Seriously, it is a cultural norm now. I still see it as
lol sci-fi spice of life dune lol, lemme see ur custom lightsabrrrrrrrrr, I roll 20's in my mom's basement 'cause I weigh 300lbs
type of affair. I can't get into the original 3, the new 3, so I can only dismiss the new CG flick as unbearable.
I find it hilarious that you're accusing other people of being nerdy for liking Star Wars when you're on a forum about Japanese giant robot cartoons.

That aside, though, I have to agree that the art style of the Clone Wars movie isn't particularly attractive. I haven't seen it, so I can't comment on the characters/story/fight scenes/what have you, but what I've seen of the animation isn't particularly promising. I don't have any plans to make any particular effort to see it; maybe I'll watch it once it comes on cable (isn't Cartoon Network supposed to be playing it? Maybe I'll watch that)...
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Sume Gai

I want to state I did enjoy the animated Clone Wars mini-series. the art design in 2D looked stylish and worked quite well; in 3D not so much...

one thing I loved in the original was Grievous (who got royally screwed in the movie) who was all kinds of cybernetic badass. I get the distinct feeling using the Clone Wars style on him in 3D will come out rather poorly.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Draco Starcloud

Other than the Super Battle Droids, I was either indifferent or disliking the character designs when I saw the "movie."

The battles were cool-looking, but after the first couple, you could tell how the rest were going to go.
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
krullnar

I being a total starwars geek loved it minus the who Sky-guy thing seriously WTF.
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?
Darksider

Just updating this to ask if anyone else caught the premiere episodes tonight.

Worth watching just to see Yoda Pwn an entire separatist tank column, and smack down Assaj Ventress like a red-headed stepchild.

Also, Grievous' new super weapon is suitably menacing, wiping out Plo Koon's entire fleet
ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty

Caught them, and enjoyed every minute of 'em. Can't wait for the next episode when we get to see Republic Y-wings strut their stuff.
Darksider

I like the fact that the droids have apparently developed a sadistic sense of humor.

They were practically cheering and laughing their asses off when they cut open that pod and exposed those poor clones to hard vacuum.

Also, next week: "This is alot more fun when they're not shooting back"
Wingnut

Darksider wrote:I like the fact that the droids have apparently developed a sadistic sense of humor.

They were practically cheering and laughing their asses off when they cut open that pod and exposed those poor clones to hard vacuum.

Also, next week: "This is alot more fun when they're not shooting back"
Actually, I found that to be the thing that disappointed me the most. Particularly with the larger droids with the arm lasers that never even so much as beeped in the movies.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Darksider

Wingnut wrote:Actually, I found that to be the thing that disappointed me the most. Particularly with the larger droids with the arm lasers that never even so much as beeped in the movies.
The B-1's have always talked, even cheering on Grievous in the fight on the Invisible Hand in Ep3, but yeah. The supers have never been talkers, aside from the republic commando game, where they just drone on mechanically about "Elimination of targets"

I like the fact that the Jedi actually seem to give a shit about the clone troops and don't treat them as disposable.
krullnar

Saw it myself can't wait for the next episode it totally rules that this premiered on my birthday.
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?
Imperial

I can't say I'm too hot on the idea of this series. The old Clone Wars cartoon was fantastic, but this looks like an inferior copy. The hideous character designs don't help. I know they're going for a more light-hearted, cartoonish feel (despite the fact that the Clone Wars were quite brutal, but whatever) but did they really have to distort everyone into horrible caricatures?
I find it hilarious that you're accusing other people of being nerdy for liking Star Wars when you're on a forum about Japanese giant robot cartoons.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was able to smell the nice, hot cut of irony.
This space for rent