Mecha Think Tank

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
blind_dead_mcjones

Re: Mecha Think Tank

An AC is equal to an Arm Slave in terms of size so i'd assume they'd be roughly equal in weight and (maybe) performance.
Flag Fighter for life!
santadi0
Location: Cryosleep in Cryotube 2... Oh, wait, the Covenant are here?!?!

hmmm... I think we should try to design an AC, a NEXT AC preferably, that can take on a Gundam.

I've been thinking about it for years.
AC's beat Gundams in versatility:
just pop in a new part for the situation, hope it doesn't go OW, and fly away.
Gundams have a little problem with this (exceptions are the Strike, Impulse, Kyrios, any Gundam that can change weapons and equipment depending on the circumstance), since they're built for specific roles.

Gundams beat AC's in power:
one example-- AC's Karasawa High Laser Rifle vs. Gundam's Buster Rifle
you decide.

also in armor
and speed.

but then again, since AC's can be further modulated, it is possible to create an AC that can actually rival a Gundam.
It's all in the modular design scheme...
"Don Corleone--I am going to leave you now--- because I know-- that you are busy"
Volnixshin

In stead of bipedal machines that walk and shoot, like your standard MS, would machines like this and this be more suitable for medium and long ranged combat. You would have multiple that could bombard and wouldn't have to worry about balance. We already have tanks on the battlefield that do quite well, so these would just be another step above them. Thoughts?
You ever wonder where the Legend began? Watch as the most useless, becomes the most feared in the galaxy

Dark Duel: "I think the lesson to be learned is that so long as you have blue-colored hair, you will kick ass."
Lans

santadi0 wrote:AC's beat Gundams in versatility:
just pop in a new part for the situation, hope it doesn't go OW, and fly away.
Gundams have a little problem with this (exceptions are the Strike, Impulse, Kyrios, any Gundam that can change weapons and equipment depending on the circumstance), since they're built for specific roles.

Gundams beat AC's in power:
one example-- AC's Karasawa High Laser Rifle vs. Gundam's Buster Rifle
you decide.

also in armor
and speed.

but then again, since AC's can be further modulated, it is possible to create an AC that can actually rival a Gundam.
It's all in the modular design scheme...
Sigh* I get the feeling that you're into versus thread than anything else. Not to be sounded rude or silly (again...) but really if we're really into that kind of perspective, then we would had bring out the big boys like, say... Shin Getter Robo! and a machine that can cut through Planet Jupiter in one clean cut and has bigger beam tomahawk than the biggest planet on our solar system - without gundarium, twin buster rifle or not, it pawns all. and umm... end of discussion.

So, really without the realism factor be seated as it should be, things could go really awry. :mrgreen:
Mike87

Volnixshin wrote:In stead of bipedal machines that walk and shoot, like your standard MS, would machines like this and this be more suitable for medium and long ranged combat. You would have multiple that could bombard and wouldn't have to worry about balance. We already have tanks on the battlefield that do quite well, so these would just be another step above them. Thoughts?
No, all that armament would weight hundreds of tons and would make it slow, as in a few miles an hour slow, and would bog it down on paved roads. It's also a hell of a lot taller than a tank and so would die quite easily.
santadi0
Location: Cryosleep in Cryotube 2... Oh, wait, the Covenant are here?!?!

As I see things, bipedal leg schemes on mechs should really serve a better purpose rather than looking human or walking(in space? your screwing me!).
Bipedal legs could function as secondary boosters, since most mechs have boosters mounted either on their backs or their shoulders.
Now, adding a stabilizer-like boosters on their legs will lessen the work of the main boosters, therefore lessening the heat, and increasing the speed.

Since the legs flex and bend, it would help the turning ability of a mech when boosting.

Note: Ac's and Gundams should share technologies, they could learn a lot from each other.
"Don Corleone--I am going to leave you now--- because I know-- that you are busy"
fusion

I apologise for my lateness to post in this thread, just joined a few days ago. But there was a older anime series - Gasaraki - that had the ideal of a mecha style introduced to war. now get rid of the whole demon armour part from that series, but what i enjoyed was the technology demonstration of thier Tactical Armour in the 2nd episode, in a then thought of modern war zone.

Theres another seires, that had the UN introducing a mecha style into a combat zone, it was a transforming wheeled to upright walking bipedal. unfortante, i forgot the series name, nor did i finish it either. it had a photo's POV

So the anime has taken the think tank ideal of mecha introduction, to the modern time frame.

Me, personally, i like powered armour. love the ideal, love the concept, from ogre's powered armours ( board game) to fallout t51b's to starship troopers ( the novel) and john ringo's aledenta series has 'em too.
Mechas too big, too large of a target, and it would take something completely new that rendered conventional smart munitions, like guided missles ( hey, did wire guided missles work in UC timelines?) useless. Now if there was a new element that forced the tradtional thinking of combat, and required larger weapons on a better power projection platform, tall bipedal machines, thats pushing the envelope. for this thread at least.
It's a little thing, mind over matter. I don't mind, you don't matter.

Bang Bang - WR2