Gundam Mecha top/max speed

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
sturmvogel

Gundam Mecha top/max speed

I have noticed that all specs for gundam mecha only have numbers for thrusters and apogee motors...i was wondering, just how fast is a GUNDAM,GM, MOBILE ARMOR, ZAKU and others? What are their top speeds when operating in space or on the ground? Hope that somebody can give the answer and add it to the list of gundam mecha specs.
Wingnut

Well on some mechs there is a max running speed listed so there is that for when they are on Earth.

As for space, there is no top speed because gravity is not slowing them down. Besides, the animation doesn't really allow us to accurately determine how fast an object is moving in space anyway so there is no way to tell unless some official publication came out and said that a unit could go only so fast. And to date there has been no such statement for any mobile weapon.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Deus EpS Machina

Well...we do get some obviously faulty speculation on the Gs they can pull and that sorta crap...so you could get an idea of how fast they go...but WIngnut is correct...the animation is manipulated for the purposes of speed and dramatic entrances.

Lesse...example...In GX when Garrod was fighting the Correl in the DX, the animation makes it look like the Correl is super fast and the DX is bigchunkyslow. Then in other instances the DX is shown to be superfast.

Or like the V2 which is supposed to be extremely fast with those WoL active...yet we see random grunts easily catching up to it.

It fools people for the most part, and looks cool...for the most part.
Last edited by Deus EpS Machina on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nyan nyan nyan nyan ni hao nyan!~~~
Cardi Doorl

Yeah, in space you don't have top speeds because there's no significant resistance, air and whatnot.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Phantomexe87

With the exception of the hover mobile suits, I doubt any conventional mobile suit (Gundam, Zaku II, Gouf, Guncannon, GM, etc) can run faster than a 120 mph (if at that), based off what I have seen. The Gouf and Gundam likely being the fastest of those in the OYW, possibly the Gelgoog, but as we never see it running too much, from what I recall. The Gouf is probably the one that really runs the most, whereas the Dom, Dowadge, and Xamel, hover at much greater speeds, exceeding 150 mph.

As for natuical speeds, hard to say, but the Z'Gok E and Hygoog are shown to be incredibly fast in 0080.

As for space suits, again hard to say, though they seem to just about all be supersonic in any case, the Messala for example clocks at an incredible Mach 30 in MA mode.
Wingnut

Phantomexe87 wrote:With the exception of the hover mobile suits, I doubt any conventional mobile suit (Gundam, Zaku II, Gouf, Guncannon, GM, etc) can run faster than a 120 mph (if at that), based off what I have seen. The Gouf and Gundam likely being the fastest of those in the OYW, possibly the Gelgoog, but as we never see it running too much, from what I recall. The Gouf is probably the one that really runs the most, whereas the Dom, Dowadge, and Xamel, hover at much greater speeds, exceeding 150 mph.

As for natuical speeds, hard to say, but the Z'Gok E and Hygoog are shown to be incredibly fast in 0080.

As for space suits, again hard to say, though they seem to just about all be supersonic in any case, the Messala for example clocks at an incredible Mach 30 in MA mode.
Like I said, most of the OYW suits have a ground speed, and there is no top speed in space so I don't know where the heck you got the Mach 30 figure for the Messala.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
Phantomexe87

Wingnut wrote:
Phantomexe87 wrote:With the exception of the hover mobile suits, I doubt any conventional mobile suit (Gundam, Zaku II, Gouf, Guncannon, GM, etc) can run faster than a 120 mph (if at that), based off what I have seen. The Gouf and Gundam likely being the fastest of those in the OYW, possibly the Gelgoog, but as we never see it running too much, from what I recall. The Gouf is probably the one that really runs the most, whereas the Dom, Dowadge, and Xamel, hover at much greater speeds, exceeding 150 mph.

Like I said, most of the OYW suits have a ground speed, and there is no top speed in space so I don't know where the heck you got the Mach 30 figure for the Messala.
Yo

http://www.mahq.net/MECHA/gundam/z/pmx-000.htm
Wingnut

Looks like I missed that update. Then again, the main page doesn't always say just what units are updated when a series is mentioned.

I'd still like to know who got that from where, and how the source came up with it. It's obviously a space figure as going that speed in the atmosphere would cause the thing to rip itself apart.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
Phantomexe87

Wingnut wrote:Looks like I missed that update. Then again, the main page doesn't always say just what units are updated when a series is mentioned.

I'd still like to know who got that from where, and how the source came up with it. It's obviously a space figure as going that speed in the atmosphere would cause the thing to rip itself apart.
Well the Messala was designed for use in Jupiter's atmosphere, which I imagine is very different from Earth's. I always presumed they avoided giving top speeds, as they didn't want to be tied down by limits, as in animation, like you said.
razgriz

120mph for a ground pounding ms? wow thats fast, is that just a full stride run without thruster help? i thought an ms would be more like 45 to 50 mph running flat out.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Deus EpS Machina

Phantomexe87 wrote:Well the Messala was designed for use in Jupiter's atmosphere, which I imagine is very different from Earth's. I always presumed they avoided giving top speeds, as they didn't want to be tied down by limits, as in animation, like you said.
in which case im going to have to assume the same for MS that appear in the Crossbone manga... Jupiter's got quite the gravitational pull...
Nyan nyan nyan nyan ni hao nyan!~~~
Mark064

Wingnut wrote:I'd still like to know who got that from where, and how the source came up with it. It's obviously a space figure as going that speed in the atmosphere would cause the thing to rip itself apart.
I'm not sure of the original source but I did find a pic of it on the internet before, Gundam Fact File reprinted most of the stats in various issues. How it came up with it... like all the other stats someones mind. For a full listing:

Space:

Normal Suit: Mach 0.15
Ahgama: Mach 20
Gathelby MA Mode: Mach 25
Zeta Gundam Waverider: Mach 40
Messala: Mach 80

Earth:

Psyco Gundam MA mode: Mach 0.5
Old Japanese something Zero (plane): Mach 0.6
Dodai Kai with a Hizack riding: Mach 0.9
Asshimar MA mode: Mach 3
Booster Equipped Gaplant: Mach 9

So that figure for the Messala is actually a typo.
razgriz

wow thats pretty fast. how fast do you think the freedom is?
(setsuna giggling)
toysdream

Mark064 wrote:I'm not sure of the original source but I did find a pic of it on the internet before, Gundam Fact File reprinted most of the stats in various issues.
I dimly recall seeing these in one of Keibunsha's old pocketbooks, but it's been years. I guess Gundam Fact File is digging pretty deep for info. :-)
Dodai Kai with a Hizack riding: Mach 0.9
By way of corroboration, Entertainment Bible 2 gives the maximum speed of the Base Jabber and Dodai Kai as Mach 0.83 and Mach 0.93 respectively. No speeds are given for the space versions, but it does note that the Gator used by the Titans triples the mobile suit's operating radius.

-- Mark
razgriz

what about that large jet ski like machine that the mark ii can ride in zeta? any idea how fast that baby is?
(setsuna giggling)
Asuka

Keep in mind those numbers mean absolutely nothing in space as mach is the speed of sound.
Mach also varies a great deal with air density as M 1 at sea level is upwards of 750 knots whereas up at 40,000 feet its closer to 320.
SNT1

Asuka wrote:Keep in mind those numbers mean absolutely nothing in space as mach is the speed of sound.
Mach also varies a great deal with air density as M 1 at sea level is upwards of 750 knots whereas up at 40,000 feet its closer to 320.
yeah. Maybe the mach speeds listed are the speeds as if they are on the surface of earth (i.e. Mach 40 x 750 knots x 1.12 mph)

And I read somewhere that the Zeta Gundam in Waverider can only go up to mach 2 in the atmosphere. True or bogus?
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
RGM-79G GM Command

Phantomexe87 wrote:With the exception of the hover mobile suits, I doubt any conventional mobile suit (Gundam, Zaku II, Gouf, Guncannon, GM, etc) can run faster than a 120 mph (if at that), based off what I have seen. The Gouf and Gundam likely being the fastest of those in the OYW
Actually even the base GM runs faster then the Gouf (102 kph for the GM compared to 99 kph for the Gouf, so while not that much different it is still slower.) so I have no idea where your getting the Gouf being faster from.
Thundermuffin's TEGSD: MEYRIN: Ma’am! The Archangel has arrived and launched a giant, man-shaped robot at us! Likelihood of it being a mobile-suit… (Meyrin does some quick calculations on her console)…ninety-nine point eight percent!
ARTHUR: Good God, that’s almost a hundred-percent!
Phantomexe87

The speed of mobile suits on ground is deceptive, but because of their large size, they can rarely run for long periods before running into some object, or terrain problems. Like in 0083, when the Burning Team pursues the GP02, as they terrain makes running extremely hard. In 08th MS Team, the Gouf probably goes at full speed across that highway stretch, but even that is a matter of minutes. When I said the Gouf was likely the fastest, I was comparing it to the Zaku I and Zaku II, on Earth in the OYW, of the non-hovering Zeon ground use mobile suits.

On a Seed note, I wonder if the Gaia is comparable to a Zoid in speed.
RGM-79G GM Command

Phantomexe87 wrote:The speed of mobile suits on ground is deceptive, but because of their large size, they can rarely run for long periods before running into some object, or terrain problems. Like in 0083, when the Burning Team pursues the GP02, as they terrain makes running extremely hard. In 08th MS Team, the Gouf probably goes at full speed across that highway stretch, but even that is a matter of minutes. When I said the Gouf was likely the fastest, I was comparing it to the Zaku I and Zaku II, on Earth in the OYW, of the non-hovering Zeon ground use mobile suits.
You said it and the Gundam were the fastest at running of the OYW, you didn't say that you only meant for each side, so I thought you meant they were faster then any of the other MS used during the OYW, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Thundermuffin's TEGSD: MEYRIN: Ma’am! The Archangel has arrived and launched a giant, man-shaped robot at us! Likelihood of it being a mobile-suit… (Meyrin does some quick calculations on her console)…ninety-nine point eight percent!
ARTHUR: Good God, that’s almost a hundred-percent!