heat sabers in space?+beam saber question

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
RGM-79G GM Command

Cardi Doorl wrote:What makes you say that? I-fields are never seen to deflect beam shots. All they do is dissipate them. I don't there are any UC examples of a beam shot hitting a beam saber blade, but I imagine that so long as the beam shot isn't far more powerful than the beam blade, the shot will be dissipated (though the beam blade would, I presume, be temporarily interrupted).
I think some beams hit the F91's beam saber, when Seabook used them as a shield thing. And they were in fact dissipated not deflected.
Thundermuffin's TEGSD: MEYRIN: Ma’am! The Archangel has arrived and launched a giant, man-shaped robot at us! Likelihood of it being a mobile-suit… (Meyrin does some quick calculations on her console)…ninety-nine point eight percent!
ARTHUR: Good God, that’s almost a hundred-percent!
Toxicity

Cardi Doorl wrote:
Tox wrote:The blade of a UC beam saber is contained within an I-Field, isn't it? So if you were to shoot one with a beam rifle, the shot would be deflected.
What makes you say that? I-fields are never seen to deflect beam shots. All they do is dissipate them.
That's what I meant. Either way, the beam still doesn't hit the MS carrying the saber.
mcred23

Cardi wrote:What L said about the impracticality of even bothering to re-equip the Zakus is very much true. Zeon had tons and tons of Zakus in service already, so going through all the trouble of outfitting them all with new secondary weapons would require time and resources that they, at that point in the war, can't really afford to detract from Gelgoog development/production and Rick Dom production.
And on top of that, they already have countless heat hawks around, so it would be foolish not to use them. Plus, as I said before, the Gouf's heat sword wasn't very common, and the Dom/Rick Dom would need the heat saber more than the Zaku would (And since they can carry them with ease, among other reasons).

But the big one, as Cardi noted, would be it would be yet another project that would hinder the MS-14's development and production, and the MS-06 was on it's way out (Granted, they were still in use in many areas, but Zeon was trying very hard to replace them with the -09 and -14 series).
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
ORegan

ok just to make it clear, i didn't mean equip every zaku(sorry if i made it sound that way) with a heat sword. But it seems rather pointless to have like what? 20-50+ of them and not give them to Zaku's(or even doms) in the front line.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
L

ORegan wrote:ok just to make it clear, i didn't mean equip every zaku(sorry if i made it sound that way) with a heat sword. But it seems rather pointless to have like what? 20-50+ of them and not give them to Zaku's(or even doms) in the front line.
Clarification taken. But wait...what's this about having 20-50+ of them? I thought the heat sword was Gouf's weapon and they are mainly earth-stationed. I don't really know, but even if they did, how exactly are they going to re-outfit it? Loading swords to the scattered ships in battlefront or calling back deployed units both seemed unnecessary for such a reason at times like war. The possible thing to do would be to mount it on stationed unit in places like Granada or maybe Solomon. And even then, it could still need modifications to make and from my POV, it's not worth the trouble.
.....................!
ORegan

i'd think that at this point(around after jaburo) they'd at least take a few. maybe not every heat sword they made, but a nice portion that zeon pilots start thinking they manufactured some prototype space goufs, which is principally the Zaku..or gyan, but thats a different discussion. But even if they didn't take them to re-fit them on zaku's maybe some parts are shared with the heat hawk, then again the zeon don't seem like the recycling type.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
mcred23

ORegan wrote:i'd think that at this point(around after jaburo) they'd at least take a few.
I assume you mean take them into space...

Which would be pointless. There were still Goufs on Earth that could use them, and why bother with it at all? The weapon isn't going to be any help in space, as it isn't some battle changing weapon nor is there any MS to carry it properly. The space used to get it back into space could be better filled by many other things (Men, supplies, multi-MS weapons like the ZMP-50D, etc).
ORegan wrote:maybe not every heat sword they made, but a nice portion that zeon pilots start thinking they manufactured some prototype space goufs, which is principally the Zaku..or gyan, but thats a different discussion.
(I'm ignoring the whole Space Gouf thing for now)

Um... why? I doubt the concern of most Zeon pilots on Earth at that point in time was bringing along a heat sword; more like getting back to Side 3 alive. And by that point in time, the Dom and it's fairly-similar-but-far-more-common heat saber were around in decent (And growing) numbers...
ORegan wrote:But even if they didn't take them to re-fit them on zaku's maybe some parts are shared with the heat hawk, then again the zeon don't seem like the recycling type.
Then again, there are cases of some weapons (The 120 and 90mm machine guns, the 280mm bazooka) being used by a number of MS. However, there are also cases of some weapons (Such as the heat sword in question) only being used by one series of MS...
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')