GINN Hi-Man II

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Melchior

GINN Hi-Man II

How much of the GINN High Manuever IIs weapons (as used in Destiny) were its original weapons? I ask because its stated in Destiny Astray that the katana's the terrorists are using are not standard equipment. That got me wondering on the beam carbine used as well. On one of the model kits for the Hi-Man II (sorry I'm no good with referencing) its stated that the HI-Man II was used as a stopgap for aces before the GuAIZ was produced. It seems strange that the Hi-Man II would have beam technology this early, so I'm wondering whether the carbine is also a post-war addition as well?
razgriz

i'm going to go with post war additions. the rebel zafts im sure were buying their time with the help of gilbert in order to get some weapons that would bring a suit that was outdated to a level of performance with brand new ZAKUS
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Ravager

I think weapons-wise, the GINN Hi Man II has the original HM beat. But the HM 2 does not have those laser pulse thrusters, so i'm inclined to say it is actually slower and less agile and maneuverable than the HM. It must have been a mass-produced(that is, more produced than the original HM, since it showed up in large numbers) MS issued to veterans and aces who preferred the GINN look rather than the new Zaku look.
Melchior

I think maybe you're confused Ravager. You say the Hi-Man II was probably produced for those who didn't like the ZAKU, yet the Hi-Man II was produced prior to the GuAIZ, let alone the ZAKU.
Homeless

I always took the commentary in DA as the ZAFT dude playing the spin game, but you never know. I personally haven't seen anything commenting on an original armament, but I could dig around for the HG 1/144 model booklet and wade my way through.
"Always do the right thing. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" -Mark Twain
Ravager

Maybe i'm confused here, though i have no idea how you found that info about the HM 2 being produced prior to the GuAIZ. I mean, they already had one high-performance suit in production, why would they go through all the trouble of designing and making another?
Gone Astray

I'd heard that the High Maneuver II was produced either just before the GuAIZ or alongside it, so it was capable of supporting beam weapons from the start.
"For who would lose, though full of pain, this intellectual being--those thoughts that wander through eternity; to perish rather, swallowed up and lost in the wide womb of uncreated night, devoid of sense and motion?"
EZero8

I'm thinking the beam weapons were added on later. Seeing that the GuAIZ was the first ZAFT unit MP'd with beam weapons, I dont think the Hi-Man II had beam weapons until later on.
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
Ravager

Methinks so too, if the GINN HM 2 was available so soon alongside the GuAIZ. But still, they're probably used by veterans and aces only, because of their high performance(meaning a more difficult learning curve) and the weapons on it like the by then-non-standard solid sword and the beam carbine.
Melchior

Ravager wrote:Methinks so too, if the GINN HM 2 was available so soon alongside the GuAIZ. But still, they're probably used by veterans and aces only, because of their high performance(meaning a more difficult learning curve) and the weapons on it like the by then-non-standard solid sword and the beam carbine.
Again, it was produced prior the the GuAIZ not alongside it. The ace pilots in question (whoever they are) didn't use it instead of the GuAIZ, but used the Hi-Man II untill the guAIZ was mass produced at which time they switched over. The Hi-Man II should probably be seen as an alternative to the CGUE, and not the GuAIZ.
Red XIV

Given the sword is listed as having a typical ZAFT model number, I'd think that it was in fact standard equipment. Regardless of what some politicians might claim.
Melchior

I suppose you're right. Destiny Astray paints Durandal in a much darker shade than the series did. While the series left it ambiguous as to Durandal's role in Break the World, Destiny Astray does everything except flat out state Durandal was the mastermind behind the drop.
CHASER

I find that confusing, I thought that it was a group of PAtrick Zala loyalists who caused the Break the World incident. I don't reacall where, or how credible it was, that I read that GINNs were used since they were created during the time that Zala was in lead of the PLANT, rather than the new ZAKU lines that pretty much represented Durandal's new leadership. That, and I suppose that a small group needed fast mobile suits to install the necessary equipment to drop the colony.

Then again, Manga and Anime very often take different sides or views on things. Though the beam carbine it uses also has the MMI model number, which is a ZAFT/PLANT arms company as well.
razgriz

it doesnt surprise me that gilbert orchestrated the whole thing. to paraphrase degwin zabi he is emperor palpatine's tail :lol:
(setsuna giggling)
Melchior

They were Zala loyalists, but a number of fans (as well as Destiny Astray)speculate/hint that durandal was the one who gave them the means to do what they did.
razgriz

they were some well trained and well equipped zala loyalists thats for sure and they sure knew how to paint their ms to look classically menacing hehe
(setsuna giggling)
Ravager

Sorry i didn't make myself clear. By non-standard solid sword i mean by then every MS melee weapons had at least some beam edge. To continue using solid swords would mean they are old-school veterans who don't like the switch. Carbines also mean shorter range and higher rate of fire and i think this kind of special(every other ZAFT MS had just the standard rifle) equipment would be spec ops-issue.

So, this should reinforce my theory that if the GINN HM 2 was produced before the GuAIZ and the ZAKU, it would only be issued to veterans and aces who preferred the GINN look rather than the newer MS.
razgriz

yeah nothin beats swinging a big heavy blade and hearing that sweet metal on metal crashing, slicing sound. oooh thats nice :twisted:
(setsuna giggling)
Wingnut

razgriz wrote:yeah nothin beats swinging a big heavy blade and hearing that sweet metal on metal crashing, slicing sound. oooh thats nice :twisted:
Note that only we actually hear that sound as they are in space and there is no air to transmit that sound around.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Dark Duel

Melchior wrote:I suppose you're right. Destiny Astray paints Durandal in a much darker shade than the series did. While the series left it ambiguous as to Durandal's role in Break the World, Destiny Astray does everything except flat out state Durandal was the mastermind behind the drop.
Melchior wrote:They were Zala loyalists, but a number of fans (as well as Destiny Astray)speculate/hint that durandal was the one who gave them the means to do what they did.
Forgive me if I seem skeptical, but I don't recall where in DA that was. Would someone mind pointing out which chapters corroborate the claim and where?
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."