Nu Gundam Incoms V Funnels

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
DropDeadEd

Nu Gundam Incoms V Funnels

Which would be the most reliable do you think?

In V Gundam, it seems pilots with incoms give newtypes like Usso a run for their money.

would then newtypes with incoms be more apt in battle as opposed to having funnels?
Hyakushiki

Funnels still have the advantage because they can operate remotely, beyond visual ranges. Incoms are meant for use by non-newtype pilots, and therefore have to be attached to control wires in order for them to operate properly. Newtypes, on the other hand aren't hampered by this handicap plus they can
control dozens of funnels simultaneously while incom can only handle a few at
a time.
Last edited by Hyakushiki on Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
DeltasTaii

Incoms still pose a threat, because they're still an all-directional attack, which is more of a problem than already rather dangerous mobile suits shooting at you from one direction.

Funnels however, can rip them to shreads quite easily, dependance on the user's mental state and all. They aren't reliable, but they're so much more effective it doesn't really matter.
Yuusha Tokkyu Might Gaine

Aren't funnels faster then Incoms?
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
J-Lead

Honestly, a newtype with an incom-equipped MS woundn't be any more effective than an oldtype with the same equipment, as incoms are really dumbed down funnels made specifically so that oldtypes could have the advantage of the all-range attack. Somehow, I just don't think a Newtype with incoms would be any more effective than an oldtype. Since Incoms are dumbed down funnels attached by wires, and their abilities are almost completely inferior to that of funnels, a newtype would actually do worse with incoms than he would with funnels.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
"Kamille! Kamille!

What the heck are Incoms? I watched V Gundam recently and I don't remember any mention of them.
Deus EpS Machina

A remote weapon designed for use with the quasi-psycommu system system. These disc-shaped devices are armed with internal beam guns and controlled via wire cables. Every time an incom changes its flight direction, it deploys a tiny relay incom to hold the wire in place and maintain its connection to its parent mobile suit. When the pilot recalls the incom, it retraces its course as the wire is retracted.
INCOMs = remote weapons for oldtypes

Newtypes can use funnels and bits to do remote weapons, but obviously oldtypes cannot seeing as how you'd need some sorta pychic connection and whatnot. Anyways, INCOMs...think of them as the wired remote weapons.

I know of four MS off the top of my head that carried them...S, Ex-S, Gundam Mk V, and Doven Wolf.

S and Ex-S, afaik, used reflector INCOMs...the pilot would shoot at the INCOMs and they would relay the beam in several angles before hitting the target. MK V and Doven Wolf used them in somewhat the same way, iirc.

This is the best example of the Ex-S using its INCOMs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jaf8T2AIWbY
Last edited by Deus EpS Machina on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nyan nyan nyan nyan ni hao nyan!~~~
"Kamille! Kamille!

Deus EpS Machina wrote:INCOMs = remote weapons for oldtypes

Newtypes can use funnels and bits to do remote weapons, but obviously oldtypes cannot seeing as how you'd need some sorta pychic connection and whatnot. Anyways, INCOMs...think of them as the wired remote weapons.

I know of four MS off the top of my head that carried them...S, Ex-S, Gundam Mk V, and Doven Wolf.

S and Ex-S, afaik, used reflector INCOMs...the pilot would shoot at the INCOMs and they would relay the beam in several angles before hitting the target. MK V and Doven Wolf used them in somewhat the same way, iirc.

This is the best example of the Ex-S using its INCOMs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jaf8T2AIWbY
Ah, thanks. Although I still don't remember them being used in V Gundam.

Another reason why I need to watch ZZ. I had heard of a similar system on the Doven Wolf but wasn't sure that was it.
Deus EpS Machina

i havnt seen all of ZZ myself but i assume it would use the INCOM in the same way since it is the Gundam MK V's cousin.
Nyan nyan nyan nyan ni hao nyan!~~~
Hyakushiki

Their first mention I think was ZZ Gundam and Gundam Sentinel , the Incom system is a quasi psycommu type weapon operated by non-newtype pilots. They are remote weapons attached to control cables that function in a manner similar to bits.
The difference is they have to receive manual inputs from the pilot supplimented by a on board computer which is they are not as flexible as bits or funnels. The Dooben Wolf, Gundam Mk. V, and the S Gundam are some of the suits that use them.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
HalfDemonInuyasha

To me, I consider the Neue Ziel's wire-controlled arms as the first "incom" weapons (given the "half-control" system which seemed to be an early quasi-psycommu system).
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet

Deus EpS Machina wrote:i havnt seen all of ZZ myself but i assume it would use the INCOM in the same way since it is the Gundam MK V's cousin.
The Doven Wolf indeed dose have Incoms. As seen in the ZZ Evolve
Tell me bats, what are you really scared of? Failure to save this cesspool of a city? Not finding the Commissioner in time? Me, in a thong?-Joker Arkham Asylum

My father was a wheel! THE FIRST WHEEL! And you know what he transformed into?! NOTHING! But he did it with honor!-Jefire, Transformers 2
AmuroNT1

Technically, there aren't any incoms in V Gundam. However, several Zanscare MS such as the Rig Contio make use of wire-guided quasi-psycommu weapons. Of course, they might be full-fledged psycommu weapons; V isn't exactly my area of expertise.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
EZero8

I believe that the remote weapons in V are quasi-Psycommu. Newtypes have become rare by that time, so the Psycommu systems would be rarely used for about 30 years up until V Gundam.
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
Aegis

The way those stats on MAHQ implied, given how it stresses the need for a pilot to be skillful, it didn't strike me that any sort of mind to machine interface was involved, be it psycommu or quasi-psycommu. It seems to imply more manual control than thought commands.

At any rate, lets not kid ourselves. Funnels have much more free movement than INCOMs as a result of having no wires, and an interface that allows for direct control and fullfledged 3D movement. A newtype using a quasi-psycommu system wouldn't be able to control the movement of an INCOM as precise as even a psycommu controlled wire guided weapon. If Usso is having trouble against wire guided weapons, it's pretty much because of two reasons: remote weapons are tricky to handle regardless, and because of Usso's (lack of) skills in that department. If Usso has trouble in the V2 against even supposedly inferior MS, I'd hate to see how he'd fare against a machine with actual remote weapons (like the Zanspine and its tinkle bits).
wing zero alpha

Technically, Uso did fight against a MS with a "true" newtype controlled remote weapon system: the Gengaozo and its Back Engine Unit, used by artificial newtype Fuala Griffon. However, he had just as much trouble fighting her.
Kuruni

And I can't remember when people deploy more than 2 incoms at once, this may be its limit and quite big gap against 6+ funnels.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Wingnut

Kuruni wrote:And I can't remember when people deploy more than 2 incoms at once, this may be its limit and quite big gap against 6+ funnels.
That's because I have yet to see a MS that has more than two built in. If there is one that has more than two, I must have missed it somewhere.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.

There is the Mass Produced Nu Gundam

Wingnut

Optional fixed armaments: incoms; fin funnels
It only says this. It doesn't say how many. The Technical and Historical Notes section says the same thing.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.