Lunar Gravity, genetic modification & the Zabi family

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Brave Fencer Kirby

What's that got to do with the conditions of Lunarians in UC Gundam?
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Hyakushiki

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:What's that got to do with the conditions of Lunarians in UC Gundam?
I was referring to the fact that changing the moon's gravity would be beyond
the capabilities of UC gundam technology though I'll my conjecture may have
wandered off-topic. So back to the point, most lunarians may have simply accepted the fact that they will be confined to space unable to tolerate Earth's
gravity.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Ascension

Maybe there's some sort of lightweight powered frame which could be used to support Lunarians under Earth gravity? If it's small enough, it might fit underneath clothing...
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
razgriz

not unimaginable they already have form fitting space suits that you can survive in a vacuum with even though your layers covering is no thicker than a christmas sweater
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Brave Fencer Kirby

There's nothing too special about those. We could make them today, with a bit of an investment into the research. Your skin is already airtight -- all you need is an elasticy-type substance to apply approximately the same pressure as one atmosphere on your body, and a helmet filled with air to breathe, and you've got yourself a pilot suit. Of course, the tricky bit is making a material that's stretchy, thin, and capable of blocking nasty cosmic radiation all at the same time.

On an unrelated note, considering that a pilot suit is basically a space-age leotard, I can understand why some pilots refused to wear the things. I imagine they would be highly uncomfortable until you got used to it...
Hyakushiki

From what I've read an elastic counter pressure suit wouldn't be all that uncomfortable to put on. Inflatable seams in the suit would take up the slack in the suit, not unlike anti-g suits worn by fighter pilots. Radiation would be an issue if you spent more than few hours outside in one, though pilots are protected by the mobile suit's armor.
OrionsGambit

Couldn't the simple explaination of some sort of artificial gravity generator/whatever explain the Lunarians seemingly "normal" appearance.

Prior to when these things were developed or could be built, you get early generations who end up like Degwin but once they are created you get normal healthy humans.

Lunarians aren't living in nice suburbs on the surface of the moon, they are confined to the relatively small and multi-layered lunar cities...
Wingnut

CrimsonStar wrote:Couldn't the simple explaination of some sort of artificial gravity generator/whatever explain the Lunarians seemingly "normal" appearance.
Not in the UC universe. Nor would it in the AC time line. Only in FC and CC would such a device possibly exist.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Phantomexe87

You know, despite UC Gundam's general retrofuturism (IE wired telephones... telephones period, electric cars, etc) it is possible that the Lunarians found some advanced technology to solve the problem, as long as you have some techno babble, anything is liable.
razgriz

giant magnet buried deep below von braun city, hehe i jus have a thing for magnets is all. they can help achieve anything. :lol:
(setsuna giggling)
Paul McCartney Jr

Wasnt the point of the coordinator so they could live in a Zero G environment?
Lert

razgriz wrote:giant magnet buried deep below von braun city, hehe i jus have a thing for magnets is all. they can help achieve anything. :lol:
Yep, they're a regular poor-man's-minovsky-particle. :D
Be alert. The world needs more Lerts.
Wingnut

Paul McCartney Jr wrote:Wasnt the point of the coordinator so they could live in a Zero G environment?
I've heard a lot of things about them, but being designed to live in a zero G enviroment was never one of them.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
razgriz

it would probably take too much conditioning in order to create someone already adaptive to a zero g environment. it would probably just be better to train them to deal with it and have a preference for some sort of gravity, like sleeping or living in a centrifuge module. floating around the entire time cant be good for someones psyche let alone their body, no matter what genetic enhancements have taken place.
(setsuna giggling)
Brave Fencer Kirby

You can live quite comfortably in a zero-g environment for your entire life, with no ill effects. The problems come when you try to move from a zero-g lifestyle to somewhere with normal gravity like Earth or a space colony. Look at Robert Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress for an exploration of some of these problems (though the book was written in the '60s, so much of the actual science is questionable, but you'll get the idea).
Hyakushiki

You're right, that book is based on out dated science. Even if you stayed in
zero-g, bone and muscle deterioration would be a serious, if not life-threating
problem to continued living in space.
razgriz

not to mention that some things were never meant to be done in zero-gravity like umm using the bathroom comes to mind
(setsuna giggling)
Brave Fencer Kirby

The human body did not evolve for zero g living, true, but it's still perfectly possible for live in a zero-g environment essentially indefinately. Again, problems occur when moving from a microgravity environment to a place with Earth-like gravity. The physiological changes that happen to a person in space are actually the body's attempt to adapt to living in a weightless environment -- so they only cause trouble when you return to Earth.
razgriz

and all space tyrants know that conquering the earth is the ultimate goal so theres gonna be some issues in reverting back to gravity :lol:
(setsuna giggling)
Gadget

razgriz wrote:and all space tyrants know that conquering the earth is the ultimate goal so theres gonna be some issues in reverting back to gravity :lol:
Space tyrants lives in colonies with artifical gravity. All colonies across the different univers generate 1 gee gravity by spinning. The tube in UC, the wheel in AC and hourglass in CE.

Only moon base tyrants will have gravity issues......