Land Battleships: How, Why and When?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Ork_dreadnought

Land Battleships: How, Why and When?

Something which has been praying on my mind for a while now has been the various Land Battleships, such as the Big Tray, or SEED's Lesseps class. I'm having a hard time placing these in wider scheme of things.

Let's focus on the One Year War for now. If we assume that the Federation arsenal (MS excluded) was designed for the radar era, gigantic hovercraft make little sense, as they would be bombed from on high. They make slightly more sense in Minovsky era, but this would imply that such vehicles are recent inventions. That is questionable, as the Federation was conversative to the point of stagnation before the war, and it seems a strech that they would build such a weapons in response to the invasion of earth. One possibility may be that Zeon pioneered these with the Gallop class, which was in effect a land based MS carrier.

My problem is that I can't find a reasonable explanation for this other than as I was to show the complacency of the Federation, or the coolness factor. I don't even want to think about the Motorad fleet.

Any thoughts?
NAMSOC's mecha fanboy
ORegan

I always thought that Big trays also doubled as a sort of moveable HQ. they stay there, hold down the fort for awhile until the operation area is over, then they get resupplied and shipped somewhere else. to me that made the most sense of why they would need something so giant.
mcred23 wrote: Well... it's official: O'Regan is the next Hitler.
WhiteWingDemon wrote: Not to start anything, seeing as that is O'Regan's job...
ShadowCell wrote: O'Regan, quit hitting on other users.
Orrick Alexander wrote: Did anyone know that O'Regan is the reason there's no air in space?
"Kamille! Kamille!

Big Trays were originally civilian transport craft or something along those lines. They do focus as mobile headquarters as ORegan said. They're not meant for combat as much as to provide a mobile strategic base.

Likewise, the Gallop is a transport, again not exactly made for combat. It has guns to defend itself, yes, but you don't see Zeon deploying tons of Gallops to the front lines. It's easier to bring Zakus along in one of those than to have them walk all that distance.
mcred23

[quote=""Kamille! Kamille!"]Big Trays were originally civilian transport craft or something along those lines. They do focus as mobile headquarters as ORegan said. They're not meant for combat as much as to provide a mobile strategic base.[/quote]

I'm not entirely sure how true that first part may be (Although it does make some sense), you are correct in that they are often used as mobile headquarters, as shown by Revil in MSG and Ryer in 08th MS. Of course, they have guns so they can provide fire support and things of that nature.
Ork_dreadnought wrote:Let's focus on the One Year War for now. If we assume that the Federation arsenal (MS excluded) was designed for the radar era, gigantic hovercraft make little sense, as they would be bombed from on high. They make slightly more sense in Minovsky era, but this would imply that such vehicles are recent inventions. That is questionable, as the Federation was conversative to the point of stagnation before the war, and it seems a strech that they would build such a weapons in response to the invasion of earth. One possibility may be that Zeon pioneered these with the Gallop class, which was in effect a land based MS carrier.
Well, I think it's fairly safe to say the Big Tray class was around before the One Year War. I think they may have been a part of the 70's Rearmament Plan that produced the Salamis and Magellan class ships, but I'm not sure where I heard that so it may not be true...

However, perhaps the Big Tray's did have guided weapons and what not, but once it was determined they'd be useless, such weapons were removed by the time Zeon invaded Earth in March of 0079, giving us the Big Tray as we know it...
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Phantomexe87

I always saw the Big Tray class a mobile HQ, not really a battleship. There is nothing to say the BT was made as a result of the OYW, by all means it was likely made before the war as it seems rather datted. I believe the main factor for the land battleships is due to orbital bombardment, as if the Zeon got their hands on a mass driver, they could easily bombard open bases. While Jaburo was saved due to its location, conventional military bases are an easy target. It is also possible they BT was used due to Operation British to give the feds mobile HQs. The League Militarie could have used them when they faced the Zanneck.
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

Well the BT we know was probably meant to be a mobile HQ/ transport/ artillery platform, seeing as it does have large bore guns, it could be mainly a long range support ship, shell firing weapons don't need much (if any) guidance.
Gadget

Mobile HQ make sense. They are more of tatical HQ rather than a region HQ. But the planners have to weigh the cost effectiveness. There is also supportive role. During the Vietnum war, an arterlliary bombarbment is faster and move devestating than air support.

The reason for land battleship is Seed is rather obvious. MS are battery powered. So that means that their operation range or time is limited. So they really do need the land battleship as support.
Draco Starcloud

Is it true that Big Trays are able to carry tanks inside? The ability to carry a tank group would be more valuable than the Big Tray's bombardment ability, in my opinion.
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
mcred23

Draco Starcloud wrote:Is it true that Big Trays are able to carry tanks inside? The ability to carry a tank group would be more valuable than the Big Tray's bombardment ability, in my opinion.
I've never heard that before, but it wouldn't suprise me if they could carry some tanks or other machines inside of them...
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
razgriz

is the big tray a hovercraft in the traditional sense as in air cushion vehicle like those giant acvs in the us navy (although they would look tiny compared to the big tray) or is it motivated by a more exotic means of propulsion. i know its not a minovsky craft system.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
RGM-79 GM

As far as I know they are just traditional hovercraft and don't have any other kind of propulsion but I don't know for sure.
US Army Infantryman's creed wrote:In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous; Armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country's trust. Always I fight on: through the foe, to the objective, to triumph over all. If necessary, I fight to my death
CYNICISM AT IT'S BEST

Draco Starcloud wrote:Is it true that Big Trays are able to carry tanks inside? The ability to carry a tank group would be more valuable than the Big Tray's bombardment ability, in my opinion.
Well if IIRC from MSG there was an aircraft hangar onboard, I could be wrong (Could have just been the pad where Amuro landed that little plane), but if there is then I would assume that it would have the same for vehicles such as tanks and jeeps.
razgriz

i would hate to think of the power needed to generate that much air cushion lift. probably 1/3 of the big trays usable volume was in reactor space and generator space.
(setsuna giggling)
Hyakushiki

With those heavy deck guns and its size, I don't it has the space for hangar
facilities. I looked at a panel from MSG Blue Destiny, it showed a couple of
T-74 tanks flanking a Big Tray and they looked too big fit inside whatever
interior space maybe available.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Phantomexe87

Hyakushiki wrote:With those heavy deck guns and its size, I don't it has the space for hangar
facilities. I looked at a panel from MSG Blue Destiny, it showed a couple of
T-74 tanks flanking a Big Tray and they looked too big fit inside whatever
interior space maybe available.
Granted games are bad to go by, but in Zeonic Front the BT looked like it could easily house a few tanks, if not some MS (laying down of course).

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/6524 ... 007wk5.jpg
razgriz

i still have to wonder about those 2 huge mega particle guns mounted in the big tray's umm bow, front bumper. they dont seem like they would be all too useful considering they are a line of sight weapon. they seem to just have intimidation factor.
(setsuna giggling)
RGM-79 GM

IIRC those aren't mega-partical cannons and are just large shell firing ones.
US Army Infantryman's creed wrote:In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous; Armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country's trust. Always I fight on: through the foe, to the objective, to triumph over all. If necessary, I fight to my death
Ork_dreadnought

A thought occurs. Isn't there inherent problems with mounting weapons on a hover platform? (I base this on the terrible Sgt Bilko movie)
NAMSOC's mecha fanboy
Hyakushiki

Hmm... good question. A vehicle like a hover truck mount weapons like heavy machine guns that a vehicle its size can handle without the recoil interfering with mobility, a larger gun like a cannon could cause problems unless it was a recoilless rifle perhaps. The Big Tray, as far as I know only fires its main guns while stationary.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Asuka

I don't see a problem with mobility as much as with everything inside being shook loose. A free-floating craft would have nothing to dissipate the shock (e.g. the earth) so that recoil would travel through the entire 'ship'. That would suck to be on the crew, getting knocked over every time the cannons fire.