A.S. Planet Defensors

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
ExhileVoid

A.S. Planet Defensors

The Scorpio and Mercurius Shuvian are the only two units that poseses this shield. It is capable of standing up to both ranged and melee weapons in one direction. Is this suppose to be AC's versions of their beam shield sort of like the same kind of beam from beam sabers contained by a powerful electromagentic field? And what do you think A.S. stands for anyways?
Zeonic Glory

I think it might be an AU cross between a beam shield and the Nu's beam barrier. As for what A.S. stands for, maybe it means:

Automated

Sentries
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
EZero8

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree on the AS PD's are pretty much the AC version of the Nu Gundam's funnel barrier. They share the same purpose and have nearly identical functions (only that the AS PD's cannot fire beams.).
ShadowCell wrote:"Poor fool, ShadowCell!" you say. "You can't win against fandom stupidity with the Power of the Mod!"
HalfDemonInuyasha

Also, unlike the beam barrier (or at least beam shields later on), a MS or any other object can physically touch it without losing a limb (as shown when the Sanc Kingdom Taurus units just shoved their way through them with their bare hands) while a beam barrier/shield is still capable of lopping off limbs given that they are, basically, shield-shaped beam sabers almost (and have computers to automatically shut off segments so MS don't hit themselves with it).

Of course, the other similarity being that a focused beam can pierce through them effortlessly (as shown with the Taurus MDs using strong laser cannons) similar to how a sped-up VSBR can OR a very powerful force all at once (Alpha Azieru's MPC or Wing Gundam/Gundam Zero's buster rifles and such).

Of course, the brute force one can depend on the number of PDs as well since the more PDs you have deployed, the stronger the barrier as shown with multiple MDs gathering together and combining their PDs or how, on one side, you have the Vayeate which is NOT able to pierce through the Mercurius' PDs (since the Mercurius' PDs are meant to be able to stand up to it), yet the Wing Gundam Zero's buster rifle CAN, showing that it required much more force to break through it.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
AmuroNT1

I personally subscribe to the beam shield theory, seeing as in BFoP we see the Scorpio's ASPD take a glancing blow from the twin buster rifle and generate some form of energy field. Immediately afterwards, it appears completely undamaged.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
ExhileVoid

By combining A.S. PDs with several of the Mercurius's PDs, does it create a defense similiar to the mega beam shield? I mean the Mercurius Shuvian's defense was virtually impenatrable to both ranged and melee weapons (when it used its AS PD to block the beam lancer).
razgriz

in GW how is it that duo is able to slice through the mercurius' PDs so easily with his twin beam scythe when he had to take on the MD version of mercurious and vayeate after rescuing hilde. was he just that determined? or did he manage to swing the scythe with that much force to rip through the defensor like it was fresh baked bread?
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Ork_dreadnought

I'm tempted to suggest character shielding here, but I suspect the mobile doll system was a factor. Mobile dolls were deadly effective, but they don't seem to have been hugely original thinkers, and by that point in the series Duo had taken dwon dozens of them. The fact those perticular dolls were based on Hero and Trowa seems to have added a minute to their life exptancy though.
NAMSOC's mecha fanboy
ExhileVoid

The Mercurius's PDs can be destroyed via melee weapon when enough force is applied to it to overpower the force field. This was also shown in G-Unit when the Mercurius Shuvian's PDs were destroyed by Roche dual wielding a beam sword and lance. My theory is that Dr. Berg may have refined the PD designs originally developed by the 5 scientists. The Mercurius's original PDs had flaws such as they were vulnerable melee and certain laser weapons. To fix these problems, he probably redesigned PD in a beam shield fashion so it can now stand up to these attacks making it practically an indestructable shield. However in exchange, it could now only defend attacks from one direction at a time. The A.S. Planet Defensor was probably first test fitted on the Mercurius Shuvian which would be later equiped on the Scorpio.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Of course, like funnels and other remote-weaponry, the PD itself can be taken out as well (which is what Duo did when the Mercurius MD sent them at him), weakening the overall shield power little by little since there will be less PDs to use to power it.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
AmuroNT1

Well, the question on how to get through was already answered. The field blocks regular attacks because they lack the energy to break through; however, lasers are concentrated enough, and melee weapons can be provided with constant force and power, which makes them suitable candidates. When Zechs used those three Virgo IIs, they were able to block even the twin beam scythe because they layered their field, similar to how Kincaide managed to greatly weaken a VSBR shot by using both his beam shields and his beam zanber to block the attack.

And I don't think the AS defensor can operate in conjunction with the regular defensors. Of course, we've only seen one MS with both, and it never did that, so who's to say it's impossible
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
HalfDemonInuyasha

AmuroNT1 wrote:Well, the question on how to get through was already answered. The field blocks regular attacks because they lack the energy to break through; however, lasers are concentrated enough, and melee weapons can be provided with constant force and power, which makes them suitable candidates. When Zechs used those three Virgo IIs, they were able to block even the twin beam scythe because they layered their field, similar to how Kincaide managed to greatly weaken a VSBR shot by using both his beam shields and his beam zanber to block the attack.

And I don't think the AS defensor can operate in conjunction with the regular defensors. Of course, we've only seen one MS with both, and it never did that, so who's to say it's impossible
The example with the 3 Virgo IIs reminds me of another "layered defense" example. In Victory Gundam (I forget which episode, but it was in the last sections of it), in 1 scene, you'll spot 3 Javelins gathered together and "layering" their beam shields together, making them able to block even the Gottrlatan's mega beam cannon from hitting the ship.
Camille Vidan

Of course, the other similarity being that a focused beam can pierce through them effortlessly (as shown with the Taurus MDs using strong laser cannons) similar to how a sped-up VSBR can OR a very powerful force all at once (Alpha Azieru's MPC or Wing Gundam/Gundam Zero's buster rifles and such).
Laser can, but regular beams not. Don't you remember how mercurius blocked vayeate's cannon?
HalfDemonInuyasha

Camille Vidan wrote:
Laser can, but regular beams not. Don't you remember how mercurius blocked vayeate's cannon?
I went through that below that paragraph...

"Of course, the brute force one can depend on the number of PDs as well since the more PDs you have deployed, the stronger the barrier as shown with multiple MDs gathering together and combining their PDs or how, on one side, you have the Vayeate which is NOT able to pierce through the Mercurius' PDs (since the Mercurius' PDs are meant to be able to stand up to it), yet the Wing Gundam Zero's buster rifle CAN, showing that it required much more force to break through it."
Camille Vidan

Zero's cannon was blocked many times as well.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Yeah and broke through most of the time.

The only time it didn't, Heero even said that it wouldn't hold up any longer. The other 2 times, it just went right through it and shoved the Mercurius back. Quite hard, I might add. Would've taken it out if Heero hadn't had the Crash Shield as well.