Shields

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Zetsu

Bazookafied wrote:I'm no expert in post CCA technology, but don't beam shields have an emitter that is exposed when the shield is turned on? I was always under the impression that the emitter isn't protected by the beam shield and was the shield's weak spot. Someone please tell me that this awesome technology doesn't have this glaring downfall!
Technically yeah, the emitter should be unprotected and easy to destroy. However, in Victory Gundam, we see many, many instances of the emitter being hit head on(ie the pilot used the center of the beam shield to block the beam, hurr hurrr), yet it holds just fine. While in other scenes, we see the beam emitters stabbed by beam sabers which of course breaks them. Maybe the emitters have some kind of strengthened/advanced ABC that protects them from beam shots, but not sabers? Dunno, it's not in the stats or alluded to ever, so probably not. But it wouldexplain this inconsistency other than a simple "plot contrivance".
Wingnut

Bazookafied wrote:I'm no expert in post CCA technology, but don't beam shields have an emitter that is exposed when the shield is turned on? I was always under the impression that the emitter isn't protected by the beam shield and was the shield's weak spot. Someone please tell me that this awesome technology doesn't have this glaring downfall!
In the real world it likely would be a severe weakness, however there is one instance in F91 that shows it isn't.
A Jegan is shooting at a Denon Zon (XM-01) and the Zon has its beam shield up and blocking the shots. Thing is the Jegan blasts seem to hit that big round emitter in the center at least 3 times in a row and the shots end up doing absolutely nothing.
Why, I can only guess. My first instinct is to say ABC is used heavily on the emitter face to compensate, though something else may be at work to deflect hits off of the emitter when the shield is active.

Also the grunt CB suits have beam guns under their beam shield emitters so they have a beam shield, and still pack a weapon where the shield is mounted on the forearm. However the XM-01 and -02 are the only ones that do this for some reason.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
razgriz

maybe the beam shield's emitter is protected by the beam shield itself. meaning when activated the shields will not only deploy around the emitter but surround it with a field of energy over the top, the emitter may have some sort of strong magnetic field generator to keep the energy covering it in order to provide, LIMITED protection, obviously not the direct force of a beam saber slamming into it.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
latenlazy

Perhaps the I-field the beam shield generates arches around the surface of the beam shield generator?
Bazookafied

latenlazy wrote:Perhaps the I-field the beam shield generates arches around the surface of the beam shield generator?
Heh, its almost like you thought was I was about to say only earlier than I did!

An I-field being emitted by that beam shield generator seems likely.

Perhaps the reason that shots to the center don't seem to work as opposed to a saber stabbing it is the concentration of the beam. Theres alot of things at work that are deteriorating a fired beam. The beam saber, however, is constantly powered. This would probably give the beam saber the power to cut through it.
Scorchijs

One question about the beam shields. What happens when someone thrusts/stabs the beam shield with a beam saber. Would it hold or would the beam saber penetrate the shield?
I ask this, because I have never seen someone do this in MS combat.
Wingnut

Scorchijs wrote:One question about the beam shields. What happens when someone thrusts/stabs the beam shield with a beam saber. Would it hold or would the beam saber penetrate the shield?
I ask this, because I have never seen someone do this in MS combat.
The shield itself can repel a beam saber like, well a beam saber would. It happens very quickly, but Seabook does just that in his first sortie with the F91.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
razgriz

i guess it would be kinda like trying to drive a carpentry nail through solid concrete. it would impact, make a spark but ultimately bounce off and away with little damage done to the concrete (shield)
(setsuna giggling)
bluemax151

Ryujin wrote:
razgriz wrote: a modern soldier knows their kevlar vest would do little against an ak-47 round but they would still rather take a slim chance at surviving a fatal shot than just letting themselves get blasted or god forbid trying to matrix oncoming shots.
That's what the ceramic SAPI plate inserts for the Interceptor & MTV vests are for.
Dragonscale anyone?
こいつ が ガンダム か
RIP John Neil Seward Jr/Jack Seward 10/11/1924-11/10/2010
Binker

Wow 4 pages, well thats expected from me not going here for a bit.

Anyway, I wanetd to point (unless someone already did) that if you look at ZZ, and the mecha from Sentinel, they don't have any shields either.
DCU: Yesterday, Today & Beyond

The Ultimate Community site for all things DC Comics

http://www.dcuytb.com
Wingnut

Binker wrote:Wow 4 pages, well thats expected from me not going here for a bit.

Anyway, I wanetd to point (unless someone already did) that if you look at ZZ, and the mecha from Sentinel, they don't have any shields either.
The ZZ does have shields. They are the red fin-line devices on the arms. Also the Z-Plus series have shields as does the Mark V, but most of the others do not.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
Mwulf

Wingnut wrote:
Binker wrote:Wow 4 pages, well thats expected from me not going here for a bit.

The ZZ does have shields. They are the red fin-line devices on the arms. Also the Z-Plus series have shields as does the Mark V, but most of the others do not.
But most of the ones that don't were production models.

Virtually EVERY mass-produced mobile suit has a shield, of one kind or another. And EVERY mainstream gundam has one too.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
razgriz

every armored knight needs a shield
(setsuna giggling)