Vanguard Ship sizes

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Chavelo

Vanguard Ship sizes

So does anyone have any dimensions for their ships? I'm trying to compare them to the Ra Cailum, but it's hard to say by picture alone.
Mark064

While there are no lenght listings, Gundam Fact File has the ships in a comparison shart showing how long ships are compared to the White Base or if small enough the Core Booster. Anyways going by the charts Zamouth-Garr is about 160 m, Zamouth-Giri is about 120 m, Zamouth-Jeth is about 100 m, and Zamouth-Nada is about 60 m. So compared to the Ra Cailum's 487 m, the biggest, the Zamouth-Garr is only about a third of the lenght.
Zeis

I think there might be a problem with those sizes. Just take a look at the Zamouth Nada destroyer. There's no way you're going to fit a 15-meter mobile suit on one of those pallets if it's only 60 meters long.

Edit: Taken from Gundamofficial.com:

This class of destroyer is the smallest vessel in the Crossbone Vanguard space fleet, only a third of the size of the flagship Zamouth Garr.

I would have to say that the Zamouth Nada is at least 100 meters, just by eyeballing it.
Mark064

Sure you can the mobile suits's width is only going to be a few meters. The mobile suit isn't lying down so it's only from foot to foot. So at best oh 5 meters as the size of the platform. So about 5 times 12 should be the lenght of the ship, eyeing this seems to be as right as well. Gundam Offical states that it's also only a third of the lenght of the Zamouth-Garr as well. Regardless it's a rough estimation, so it's most likely a bit off in either direction.
razgriz

everything got smaller in the late uc even the ships? hmm, i know bigger isnt necessarily better but it sure makes for the intimidation factor.

ever seen an iowa class battleship up close? then see a perry class frigate right afterward? it can be a letdown. i guess the vanguard was going for technological prowess over design but since they were lead by the vain and aristocratic ronahs i wouldve thought that designs that lead to fear would be something of a mainstay for their ships.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Mark064

While mobile suit technology is the main focus of the show ship technology increases as well so they'd be able to build smaller ships if that suits their purpose. And with the scaling back of mobile suits as well less space is now needed to be devoted to mobile suit facilities. Since the Crossbone Vanguard seems to be a relatively small army they'd probably want to spend less money on ships and go the smaller route. A lot of the Crossbone Vanguard ships are taking the route of putting their catapults on their hull as well which makes the ships a lot shorter as well this is apposed to a lot of other designs such as the Clop, Amalthea, and Calisto all who have huge catapult decks on the front extending the lenght quite a bit. Since there are no width comparison it's also possible the ships are quite wide.
razgriz

makes a lot of sense Mark thanks, i failed to look at it that way, i guess im just a fan of mega-engineering.
after all the us navy is investing in smaller more efficient ships as opposed to massive sea-going bohemoths, except for the new ford class cvns.
setsuna: I AM A GUNDAM!!!
graham: I AM A FLAG!!!
(setsuna giggling)
graham: NO!! i said FLLLAG!
Chavelo

Wow. I was not expecting them to be so small. Though I suppose the ships probably have proportionate size MS capacity.

But I wonder, with updated equipment, would the bigger EFSF ships have a higher MS compliment with the smaller suits?
Mwulf

Probably, though not by very much. While the new suits are smaller, they're not ~that~ much smaller. The smaller MS are about 75% the size of the older MS, so a Musai that could hold 5 Zakus, for example, could theoretically hold 6 smaller suits.

A carrier that could hold 20 older suits could then theoretically hold 26 smaller suits... though I'm not aware of many (any, off the top of my head) ships with that much capacity.
Another Day, Another Mishap.

Gundam Seed Fates
ASA (comic)
"Kamille! Kamille!

Does anyone have the diagram of all the silhouettes of the various ships of the UC era?
Phantomexe87

Mwulf wrote:Probably, though not by very much. While the new suits are smaller, they're not ~that~ much smaller. The smaller MS are about 75% the size of the older MS, so a Musai that could hold 5 Zakus, for example, could theoretically hold 6 smaller suits.

A carrier that could hold 20 older suits could then theoretically hold 26 smaller suits... though I'm not aware of many (any, off the top of my head) ships with that much capacity.
The Gawzine Class holds exactly 20 MS.
Zeonic Glory

Mwulf wrote:Probably, though not by very much. While the new suits are smaller, they're not ~that~ much smaller. The smaller MS are about 75% the size of the older MS, so a Musai that could hold 5 Zakus, for example, could theoretically hold 6 smaller suits.

The Dolos class holds even more units.

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/msgundam/dolos.htm

Thats 182 old generation units. It could hold alot of new gen mobile suits.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
mcred23

Theoretically, but I doubt ships would carry more than one or two of the smaller MS, if any extra MS at all (Unless they get some renovations to the interal layouts of the ships to better suit mini-MS).
Zeonic Glory wrote:The Dolos class holds even more units.

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/msgundam/dolos.htm

Thats 182 old generation units. It could hold alot of new gen mobile suits.

Yeah, but neither Dolos class ship survived the One Year War. Big ships with large numbers of MS such as the Dolos class or Dogosse Gier are very rare, with few ships getting more than 20 or so MS on board.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Zeonic Glory

I know they were destroyed. I was just saying imagine how many new gen MS would fit on it.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
Wingnut

[quote=""Kamille! Kamille!"]Does anyone have the diagram of all the silhouettes of the various ships of the UC era?[/quote]
Indeed I do.
However, it doesn't seem to cover the second century UC, only the major ships of the first.
From top to bottom: (And no, I don't know what the huge ship is at the top)
Right side: Dogosse Gier, Ra Callum, Irish class, Nahal Argama (ZZ version), Argama, White Base, Birmingham.
Left side: Magellan, Alexandria, Lombardia, Clop, Salamis.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Zeonic Glory

Maybe no one will ever know the big ship at the top. (Does even Mark Simmons know what that ship is?)

I've seen that handy chart in many previous discussions....

Its a shame that there doesn't seem to be a chart for the latter UC.
Phantomexe87

Damn that ship is big... it could hold 20 mobile armors... and no one knows its name?
toysdream

Zeonic Glory wrote:Maybe no one will ever know the big ship at the top. (Does even Mark Simmons know what that ship is?)
Actually... :-)

This chart comes from a Japanese fanzine, and the ship at the top is an original design from the fanzine itself. The last time this came up in discussion, I actually managed to figure out the identities of the fanzine and the ship, which involved an awful lot of Google.co.jp sleuthing. But I guess neither I nor anyone else took notes.

As for the original question, judging from the line art (which includes a mobile suit scale comparison), the Zamouth Nada is supposed to be about ten times as long as the mobile suits that stand on its external platforms. That would make it about 150 meters, and the largest ship in the Crossbone Vanguard fleet is supposed to be roughly three times as long. I have no idea where Gundam Fact File came up with its teensy size estimates, but I'd say that about a lot of the information in that series.

-- Mark
"Kamille! Kamille!

Wingnut wrote:[quote=""Kamille! Kamille!"]Does anyone have the diagram of all the silhouettes of the various ships of the UC era?
Indeed I do.
However, it doesn't seem to cover the second century UC, only the major ships of the first.
From top to bottom: (And no, I don't know what the huge ship is at the top)
Right side: Dogosse Gier, Ra Callum, Irish class, Nahal Argama (ZZ version), Argama, White Base, Birmingham.
Left side: Magellan, Alexandria, Lombardia, Clop, Salamis.[/quote]

Thanks, but there's another that shows it in silhouettes with ships from the latter UC (IIRC) and the Dendrobium and Neue Ziel.
Wingnut

Yeah, I had that once, but I lost it the last time my computer crashed.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.