The medical downsides to being a Newtype

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
False Prophet

The medical downsides to being a Newtype

Reading through the X-Men comics gave me this idea: Until now we have only seen the "good side" of being a Newtype on the battlefield. But what about real life? Which problems does a person who turned into a Newtype must overcome? (The same with Innovators and X-Rounders)

For example, the brain is dizzying complex, and even then it takes a lot of "shortcuts" so as to cope wiht reality (such as selective attention). With the new stream of data being fed by the Newtype sense, how will the brain change?
Kuruni

Re: The medical downsides to being a Newtype

I'm more curious that you become concern about this issue by reading X-Men of all thing...
My girlfriend was a loli.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:30 am Reading through the X-Men comics gave me this idea: Until now we have only seen the "good side" of being a Newtype on the battlefield. But what about real life? Which problems does a person who turned into a Newtype must overcome? (The same with Innovators and X-Rounders)
One thing we can say for certain is that any poor schlub researching the subject at one of the Newtype labs that the Earth Federation and/or Principality of Zeon maintained would have their hands full trying to separate the appalling psychological damage done to Newtypes by using them in warfare from any potential impact their abilities might be having on them.

It's not easily sorted out for the viewer either, since the natural newtypes are almost invariably not particularly well-adjusted individuals to begin with... a lot of them come from troubled families and/or are your bog-standard mildly antisocial teenage boys. Cyber-newtypes are pretty uniformly screwed-up, but it's hard to say if that's a product of the new sensory inputs or the extreme mental and physical conditioning they're subjected to.

All told, the only evident and acknowledged downside to being a newtype is that you'll almost certainly end up a draftee in your nation's military, being sent into the heaviest combat in experimental mobile suits because you're their definition of a "supersoldier" whether you like it or not. It certainly doesn't seem like being a newtype, an Innovator, or X-rounder has any real negative impact on them otherwise. The only change it seems to bring is an understandable increase in empathy as a result of being able to read minds at a range.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
hitokirigarou

Kuruni wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:58 am I'm more curious that you become concern about this issue by reading X-Men of all thing...
In the mainstream continuity, the US government have certain Weapon Plus programs that turn mutants into brainwashed super-soldiers in preparation for a Mutant-Human war. In an alternate dystopic timeline, some mutants are molded into animalistic "hounds" to hunt down other mutants.

It's kinda similar to how Newtypes and Cyber Newtypes are treated by the military in UC Gundam.