The SE Project and its fate

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Rex

The SE Project and its fate

So outside from some blurbs on the Gundam Wiki, I can't find much about the Tyrant Sword and the story around it. I'm not even sure where to find translations of the photo novel.

What do we know about the SE Project? Is it still an official part of the UC story? Why was it abandoned if the new SE-Generator is capable of competing with the Minovsky Generator?

Does anyone have any information on this at all? I'm really quite curious about it.
Kuruni

Re: The SE Project and its fate

No, it's in alternate timeline.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Deacon Blues

Kuruni wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:10 am No, it's in alternate timeline.
There is no such thing as an "alternate timeline". Please, show me where Gundam publications state "代替のタイムライン" or "異なる時間軸 " or something of the sort. This mentality that the community thinks there is some bizarre secondary timeline for the Universal Century is really getting old. It doesn't exist.

Tyrant Sword comes from a time (the late 80s) when there wasn't much guidance on where Gundam was going. Given the nature of this particular project, there is nothing to indicate that it could not have existed. While some of the names of MS and what not could pose a "problem", in the end the entire project was scrapped with data being deleted in a fashion similar to what happened in 0083. There's a claim that Tyrant Sword was ran with the title of "Gundam Another Story" which someone erroneously seemed to claim meant it was an "alternative timeline" but none of the installments that I have of Tyrant Sword list it as "Gundam Another Story".
Kuruni

When I said "alternate timeline" I didn't mean it as a formal term, it's just that AFAIK the background events of the story is contradict with orthodox continuity already. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Nemo is called RS-81 in TS because it was developed in UC 81? (the one in profile is an improved model, Nemo STI) And GM II was developed after it as RS-82 with RX-86 Sam being Titans' main MS.

Unless I got all of that wrong, the whole events is too different to orthodox continuity, which is why I said it's alternate timeline. It isn't formal term, just how I see it. Well, I should said it's "black work" instead. Sorry.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Seto Kaiba

Rex wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:55 pm What do we know about the SE Project? Is it still an official part of the UC story? Why was it abandoned if the new SE-Generator is capable of competing with the Minovsky Generator?
I have no idea if it's an official part of the Universal Century continuity or not... I would assume "not", given the below-described contradictions in the Nemo's development history.

SE stands for "Subject Effacement", it's a type of particle annihilation reactor that is apparently so potent that it's capable of manipulating local spacetime. The spatial and magnetic field distortions caused by an active SE System are apparently exploitable for both propulsion and anti-gravity effects (including inertial shielding of the cockpit). The program was kicked off as a bluff by Anaheim to prevent interference in its affairs from the Titans, Neo-Zeon, and the AEUG. They apparently didn't expect that it would actually be workable as a power source, but it proved too dangerous to use and was quietly buried.

(The SE system is rather unstable, damage to the mobile suit mounting it can cause the reactor to built up to an overload and explode in the manner that wiped out the first Nemo Sword Custom prototype. The SE system's inertia control field was intense enough to act as a defensive barrier, but as a result the field was vulnerable to external disruptions. Being struck by beam weapon fire was enough to cause power losses in the field and generator, resulting in loss of performance and reduced protection from high g-forces for the pilot. A fix was tested for the field instability problem, and the resulting mobile suit was so destructive in combat against Scirocco's Jupiter Fleet that Anaheim scrubbed the entire program in terror to prevent the technology from ever being used in war.)

Kuruni wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:35 am When I said "alternate timeline" I didn't mean it as a formal term, it's just that AFAIK the background events of the story is contradict with orthodox continuity already.
Gotta be precise when it comes to stuff like this, since Gundam's continuity (via ∀ Gundam) wasn't exactly user-friendly in its official state...

Kuruni wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:35 am Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Nemo is called RS-81 in TS because it was developed in UC 81? (the one in profile is an improved model, Nemo STI) And GM II was developed after it as RS-82 with RX-86 Sam being Titans' main MS.
Lucky me, I had some of these old issues of Hobby Japan sitting around.

Tyrant Sword of Neofalia seems to present an alternate development history for the Nemo series. As I understand it, the [official/canon] development history of the Nemo from Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam was that it was a new mobile suit Anaheim Electronics developed for the AEUG and Karaba in UC 0087 based upon the RMS-179 GM II that Anaheim had developed for the EFF in the early UC 0080s. The RS-81 Nemo, as described in the Tyrant Sword of Neofalia photonovel, is instead presented as having been a rejected competing prototype that lost to the [RGM-79R/RMS-179] GM II in the EFF program to obtain a replacement for the RGM-79 GM. The RS-81's relation to the MSA-003 Nemo from Zeta Gundam is unclear, in light of the RS-81 Nemo being identified as a "defective" design that was vastly inferior to the GM II.

The RS-81-STI Nemo STandard Improvement type was an upgrade of the rejected RS-81 Nemo prototype by Anaheim in a failed attempt to address the defects in the original design. Anaheim's Neofalia branch later retrofitted three Nemo STIs for use as SE Project test articles, fitting each with a SE System in addition to its Minovsky reactor, and redesignating them RS-NF-81-STI-SES Nemo Sword Custom. Two prototypes were taken out of action during testing, one due to an unrecoverable system failure that forced the operator to eject the SE System core, and one was a total writeoff due to damage. The third prototype was modified into an unmanned mobile suit and deployed in live combat testing.

It's not clear if "RS-82" is Anaheim's internal designation for the GM II or not, but the GM II is identified as a contemporary program that was competing with the RS-81 Nemo for selection as next main MS for the EFF. The RS-82B-R in Tyrant Sword is presented as a late model customized high-mobility variant in 0087, a derivative of the base model GM II. Data from the RS-82B-R GM II Custom was used to in development of the RX-178 Gundam II and RX-86 Sam.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...