Are E.F.F. 'goatees' equivalent to Zeonic command horns?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
DoleBananas

Are E.F.F. 'goatees' equivalent to Zeonic command horns?

If there's any sort of hard source on that particular subject matter, I'd be surprised, but regardless the question per the title seemed like an interesting one to ask you guys, at the very least, to hear various opinions on the matter.
Seto Kaiba

Re: Are E.F.F. 'goatees' equivalent to Zeonic command horns?

DoleBananas wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:35 am If there's any sort of hard source on that particular subject matter, I'd be surprised, but regardless the question per the title seemed like an interesting one to ask you guys, at the very least, to hear various opinions on the matter.
I'll admit, it took me a bit to figure out what this was about...

I am not aware of anything that would suggest the Earth Federation Forces only use the pointy chin design on "unit leader" type mecha, and I can think of two clear examples that would contradict the supposition: the stock RGM-79 GMs in Gundam Evolve, and every variant of the RGM-89 Jegan.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
MythSearcher

A few counter examples, not repeating what Seto Kaiba said.
Non-leaders with:
RGM-79[G] Ground type GM
RX-79[G] Ground type Gundam (since they form teams without other leading units, they are not necessarily leaders)
RGM-79HC GM Guard Custom
RX-178 Gundam Mk-II (Techinically not a leader unit)
RMS-154 Barzam (Refine) (Sentinel)
MSZ-006 Zeta plus
MRX-011 Mass Production Type Psycho Gundam
RX-94 Mass-production Nu Gundam
F71 G-Cannon
RGM-109 Heavy Gun
RGM-111 Hardygun
Mass production F91
RGM-196 Freedom

Leaders without:
RGM-79GS GM Command Light Armor
TGM-79C GM Cannard/Cannes (technically a leader unit that can remote control student units) (Ecole du Ciel)
RMS-142 Xeku Zwei
Too-lazy-to-name various Titans Mono-eye models
RGZ-95C
DoleBananas

Aah, sorry. The pointy chins always struck me as... Separate from the chin, and looked like goatees, ergo...

Anyway, for both Zeon and the Federation, one might be in a suit that certainly is both a high spec machine and has command flair/or is designated a "command" model, and not necessarily be part in command of a unit. Specifically pointing to the Gouf and GM Command which can both certainly be deployed in at least teams. Likewise, mixing high or middling performance mobile suits in the team is something that doesn't really happen, right?

So, in line with that, while I didn't really consider outside of the OYW, I wanted to point out that most of the units on that list, despite being mass production, or intended for mass production (or greater mass production a prototype before it), are Gundams, and similar to the Gouf, I kind of feel that these are the exceptions that kind of prove the rule, if not, they sort of follow it.

That leaves us with the Ground types, and the Guard Custom. The two former units can support beam rifles, which leads me to place them in the territory of high spec machine and, like the above, exceptions that prove the rule. The Guard Custom, meanwhile, also has knee projections like a Gundam-type or most GMs capable of supporting full beam rifles, but that of course carries no weight without any specs.

So really that makes that list kind of, well, interesting to me, because not very GM or GM-types break the rule if it were one, specifically, the Jegans/Heavy Guns/Hardy/etc, and they come around awfully late. It's an amusing thought I had, to say the least, especially with how it fits and where it doesn't.

(And, the GMs from Gundam Evolve wouldn't, really, right...?)
MythSearcher

DoleBananas wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:22 pm Aah, sorry. The pointy chins always struck me as... Separate from the chin, and looked like goatees, ergo...

Anyway, for both Zeon and the Federation, one might be in a suit that certainly is both a high spec machine and has command flair/or is designated a "command" model, and not necessarily be part in command of a unit. Specifically pointing to the Gouf and GM Command which can both certainly be deployed in at least teams. Likewise, mixing high or middling performance mobile suits in the team is something that doesn't really happen, right?

So, in line with that, while I didn't really consider outside of the OYW, I wanted to point out that most of the units on that list, despite being mass production, or intended for mass production (or greater mass production a prototype before it), are Gundams, and similar to the Gouf, I kind of feel that these are the exceptions that kind of prove the rule, if not, they sort of follow it.

That leaves us with the Ground types, and the Guard Custom. The two former units can support beam rifles, which leads me to place them in the territory of high spec machine and, like the above, exceptions that prove the rule. The Guard Custom, meanwhile, also has knee projections like a Gundam-type or most GMs capable of supporting full beam rifles, but that of course carries no weight without any specs.

So really that makes that list kind of, well, interesting to me, because not very GM or GM-types break the rule if it were one, specifically, the Jegans/Heavy Guns/Hardy/etc, and they come around awfully late. It's an amusing thought I had, to say the least, especially with how it fits and where it doesn't.

(And, the GMs from Gundam Evolve wouldn't, really, right...?)
They are kinda like goatees.
Gundam's concept came from Samurai's armour, that is a part where they have a chunk of rope tied to their chin.

The mixing of different performance units at least happens on the EFSF side, where they had GM and Ball mixing and matching. (I always forgot if its 3 GM 2 Ball or 2 GM 3 Ball)
The Zeon side seems to be mixing as well, mostly 05, 06 and 07 on ground (since 09s are on hover and much more agile) Space side must be more serious, they are already on the losing end and production cannot catch up.

The GM Ground type has a goatee, and a request of increased communication power (for command) was responded with the Gundam Ground type, and the GM Ground is actually weaker than the later GM in spec.
So I doubt the EFF really cared about the goatee that much.

The goatee pretty much just signifies the closer reproduction of Gundam(RX-78-2) head features, which may give you the idea that they are more expensive thus commander units, but not really supported if you look at the whole picture, the most powerful(spec wise) GM in OYW is 79SP, which has no goatee. The MG Manual team composition samples given also have normal GMs and even Ball as team commander, so...