[Ship Mystery] - Biscay-class Transport

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Deacon Blues

[Ship Mystery] - Biscay-class Transport

Well, I'm stumped. In translating the latest Anaheim Laboratory Log, they mention a mysterious transport that is affiliated with Anaheim. This is none other than the Biscay-class (ビスケー級輸送艦). Googling around pulls up some interesting information on some Japanese sites (one which has an exhaustive listing of ships and info) but it seems a little bogus to me. One site did say that this particular transport ship is the class in question but according to the "Ship and Aerospace Plane Encyclopedia" this is listed as just a "space transport" that was a former Federation vessel that is now used by the AEUG and Titans...

I've never seen this name mentioned in any other publication. Was this a real throwaway that AnaLog is pulling out of storage to utilize?
bilbros

Re: [Ship Mystery] - Biscay-class Transport

Interesting suggestion, but if this is the site you're referring to, I'm afraid it mixes info actually published on books (or other reference material, also quite obscure... see for instance teh Garonne ship, directly taken from the Z Gundam gamebooks) with fan-made speculations, and as far as I can tell there's no easy way to distinguish one source from another.

As a side note, to my knowledge the original Japanese for that vessel from Z Gundam (seen also in episodes 20 and 21 of ZZ) has always been 宇宙輸送艦, i.e. space transport ship. The book Ship and Aerospace Plane Encyclopedia provides as English name "Space Crane Ship".
But in my opinion it wouldn't be bad at all if this will eventually turn out to be retconned as Biscay-class: you know, named classes, proper names, explicit model numbers and so on are surely better than generical designations 8)
Deacon Blues

Re: [Ship Mystery] - Biscay-class Transport

bilbros wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 2:44 pm Interesting suggestion, but if this is the site you're referring to, I'm afraid it mixes info actually published on books (or other reference material, also quite obscure... see for instance teh Garonne ship, directly taken from the Z Gundam gamebooks) with fan-made speculations, and as far as I can tell there's no easy way to distinguish one source from another.
Yeah, that's the sad part about that site... lots of ship names with no references. I'm sure it's probably something from one of the obscure books I haven't located yet. I just find it odd that the Anaheim Laboratory Log referenced it.
As a side note, to my knowledge the original Japanese for that vessel from Z Gundam (seen also in episodes 20 and 21 of ZZ) has always been 宇宙輸送艦, i.e. space transport ship. The book Ship and Aerospace Plane Encyclopedia provides as English name "Space Crane Ship".
But in my opinion it wouldn't be bad at all if this will eventually turn out to be retconned as Biscay-class: you know, named classes, proper names, explicit model numbers and so on are surely better than generical designations 8)
Yeah, that's the one I checked in the book beforehand (as noted above). One of the random sites suggested that it may be that particular class but offered no evidence, sadly. Still strange that there's nothing out there on it... Maybe the authors referenced that site :lol: