The Official Gundam Twilight AXIS Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Chris
Administrator

The Official Gundam Twilight AXIS Mecha Thread Mk I

Have at you.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Dark Duel

Re: The Official Gundam Twilight AXIS Mecha Thread Mk I

Okay, so I rewatched the teaser again on a decent-sized screen instead of on my obsolete iPod touch.
And I recall reading elsewhere a listing for a "Byarlant Isolde" apparently being featured in Twilight Axis. Now, I know nothing about the series/novel beyond what little I gleaned from Gundam Wiki and here...
But I do believe that this is the Byarlant Isolde.

Setting aside the wonky shape of the head, I was looking at what little we can see of the torso in that image and comparing it to the lineart of the Byarlant Custom from Unicorn, and it appears to match pretty closely.

I'd be curious to see the rest of it, though.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
yazi88

I honestly thought the other Gundam shown aside from the Tristan was the Isolde... cause the names would match, and Gundam names are sometimes relevant to each other, especially if they are sibling units. But we don't know if that's the case.

I mentioned this on facebook, but the Tristan is heavily inspired by Izubuchi's designs from 0080 and CCA. You can see parts similar to the Alex, Nu Gundam and even non-Izubuchi designs like the Mk-II's backpack.
Dark Duel

Its shield looks very GP01-like, in my opinion. It really does seem to be a mish-mash of different elements from pretty much the entirety of the development history of the RX-78 line from 0079 to 0088, all distilled into a single mobile suit.
And by golly, I like it!

Though on the subject, I did a little more digging into Twilight Axis, and I was very amused to learn that the specific color scheme of that particular AMX-011S Zaku III Custom is very much not a coincidence :P

The main thing I'm really curious about is the modified Jegans that are mentioned as appearing in this novel/series. I'd be very intrigued as to how they differ from the standard model.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
False Prophet

So... Can we presume that Haman's obsession with Char is officially taken to another level?

And anyone here has any grip with the Tristan's legs? I admit that they look unique, but god damn they are ugly. They should had gone with the Mk-II's or the Nu's legs.
Chris
Administrator

False Prophet wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:42 am So... Can we presume that Haman's obsession with Char is officially taken to another level?
What does Haman have to do with anything? This is set long after she's dead.
yazi88

Yeah, this takes place AFTER Unicorn.
False Prophet

Chris wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:22 pm
False Prophet wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:42 am So... Can we presume that Haman's obsession with Char is officially taken to another level?
What does Haman have to do with anything? This is set long after she's dead.
Wasn't she the one commissioned the development of the Tristan and red Zaku III custom? Or at least that is what I heard.
Dark Duel

Not the Tristan AFAIK. But the novel all but outright states she personally commissioned the creation of that Zaku III specifically for Char's personal use - though he never did use it.

yazi88

Why would Haman want to construct a Gundam like the Tristan? In the entire UC, Zeon has stolen about 2 Gundams (GP02 and F90) and salvaged the Psycho MK 2, they have never made a Gundam and why would they make a suit that is a symbol of their biggest enemy since the OYW?
domino

Is it just me or is the Tristan basically a composite of damaged Gundams that Zeon may have gotten their hands on? A Gundam wikia says that it's based on the Gundam Alex which may or may not have been abandoned with other mobile suit relics after the Gundam MkII series. It also incorporates the GP01Fb's shield and a beam rifle very similar to the Nu Gundam (which was destroyed - but there may have been spares).

I'm assuming that Tristan was hastily cobbled together to test some other technology but I'm really speculating here. It's entirely possible that they mimicked a Gundam for espionage reasons - or something else entirely
Dark Duel

"Something else entirely" would be it.
Spoiler
The Gundam Tristan is not fielded by Neo-Zeon, based on what I've been able to learn about the novel. It, along with the Byarlant Isolde and an as-yet-unknown custom RGM-89 Jegan variant, are deployed by another faction, bankrolled by the Ronah family. Yes, that Ronah family.

The reason they're inside Axis is that they're looking for the same thing the Federation is, which is why our two ex-Zeon protagonists are accompanying a Federation Special Ops team when they are attacked by this other group.
This site's description for the Tristan explicitly mentions the NT-1, though I'm not entirely sure what it actually says.

Arsarcana

"[The Tristan] is based on the NT-1 'Alex' but who developed it and where its parts came from are unknown" more or less.
Dendrobium Stamen

Dark Duel wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:30 pm This site's description for the Tristan explicitly mentions the NT-1, though I'm not entirely sure what it actually says.
The Google Translate translation says something to the effect of:
Although it is an aircraft based on the Gundam NT - 1 "Alex", the acquisition route and the development lineage etc of the body itself are not disclosed.
So it seems that, if nothing else, the Tristan is inspired by RX-78NT1, even if it doesn't directly recycle the frame or any components. The legs scream NT-1 to me, and maybe the forearms, but the rest has a real Build Fighters kitbash feel to it - not that that's a bad thing. I'll be interested when the anime is out to learn more about its exact heritage.
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Wingnut

The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Dark Duel

So if I'm reading this correctly - the English-translated sections, anyway - the AN-01 literally is a kitbash of sorts, being put together from a mish-mash of salvaged parts from different mobile suits(apparently including the NT-1) and newly-developed parts.
Huh. Interesting.

BrentD15

Dark Duel wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:26 am So if I'm reading this correctly - the English-translated sections, anyway - the AN-01 literally is a kitbash of sorts, being put together from a mish-mash of salvaged parts from different mobile suits(apparently including the NT-1) and newly-developed parts.
Huh. Interesting.
Well, the leg and arm units in particular seem to come from the Alex. 8)
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
False Prophet

http://i.4cdn.org/m/1496904829043.jpg

So, the Tristan (and by extension, Nu Gundam) has a built-in generator within its own rifle.

Also, when did Buch Junk (maker of Crossbone Vanguard's MS) become "Buch Junk Inc.,"?
Chris
Administrator

False Prophet wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:04 amAlso, when did Buch Junk (maker of Crossbone Vanguard's MS) become "Buch Junk Inc.,"?
As the image states, Buch Junk Inc is a subsidiary company of the Buch Concern.
E08

False Prophet wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:04 am http://i.4cdn.org/m/1496904829043.jpg

So, the Tristan (and by extension, Nu Gundam) has a built-in generator within its own rifle.

Also, when did Buch Junk (maker of Crossbone Vanguard's MS) become "Buch Junk Inc.,"?
1)Although the Tristan's beam rifle look like Nu's, we do not know if they are the same internally.

2)The HG manual only says the rifle has an in-built energy source (which could be a reference to E-Cap), not built-in generator.

3)According to the archived Gundam Official website, the maker of Crossbone Vanguard's MS is Buch Aerodynamics.