question regarding rau le creuset piloting a MS

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Den

question regarding rau le creuset piloting a MS

i've been rewatching a bit of seed and remembered that Rau is not a coordinator but a natural with high spatial awareness like Mu. With regards to that, during the early stages of the seed series, did the coordinator MS have OS' that would enable a natural to pilot it effectively? was there any explanation as to why Rau can pilot a MS while other natural have great difficulty piloting one without Kira's modified natural OS. pardon me if i have made a mistake regarding which forum to put this question on, mods pls move if this does not fit into the technology sub. thanks!
Dark Duel

Re: question regarding rau le creuset piloting a MS

With regards to your first question - would the PLANTs have MS designed or programmed to be used by Naturals, I think given that the most influential member of the Supreme Council other than Siegel Clyne is a fanatic Natural-hater, I think the answer to that would be a resounding "Hell, no."

As for your second question - why/how Rau, who is presumably a Natural(given that he is a clone of a Natural) is piloting mobile suits for ZAFT when mobile suits thus far have been piloted only by Coordinators - it's never addressed at all, as far as I can recall. All we can do, really, is speculate that either Rau could do it because he's simply that good, or somehow he or someone else calibrated the CGUE (and later the GuAIZ, then the Providence) to ensure that he could pilot it.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
MythSearcher

Den wrote:i've been rewatching a bit of seed and remembered that Rau is not a coordinator but a natural with high spatial awareness like Mu. With regards to that, during the early stages of the seed series, did the coordinator MS have OS' that would enable a natural to pilot it effectively? was there any explanation as to why Rau can pilot a MS while other natural have great difficulty piloting one without Kira's modified natural OS. pardon me if i have made a mistake regarding which forum to put this question on, mods pls move if this does not fit into the technology sub. thanks!

Coordinators do not all have superb abilities. In fact, coordinators only have a higher than average(natural average) ability, meaning some naturals can have higher ability than some of the coordinators. Mu and Creuset are good examples. Considering PLANT also has some naturals(A lot of them are coordinators but not all of them) and their MS development history is longer, their OS would be likely more suited for both natural and coordinators.

Actually, considering the other 4Gs robbed by ZAFT all has to be reprogrammed, the original 5G OS from Orb is likely extremely non-user friendly and that is not a problem of naturals or coordinator only. Kira was part of the development and a hacker, thus he is better in modifying the OS, probably not because the OS was written for coordinators.

Also, the OS for Naturals in the Earth Alliance side was not modified by Kira but somehow managed to complete by themselves.(Kira only modified the Orb's M1 Astray OS, which was also glitchy and only perfected when the data of Blue Astray is obtained and with the pilot of Red Astray help.)

The main difference between the coordinator and natural OS is the coordinator OS mainly relied on the reflex of the pilot, but the natural OS can automatically take care of some of the situation itself, lessening the burden of the pilot. So as long as the pilot have enough reflexes, a natural can still pilot an MS with a coordinator OS.
Dendrobium Stamen

It's been a surprisingly-long time since I watched SEED, but my assumption was always that, either at Al Da Flaga's instruction or just as part of the cloning process, Rau was made into a Coordinator from day #1 - albeit one with the shortened telomere issue which caused him issues as an adult, and a drastically-shortened lifespan.

Given that prior to the Atlantic Federation and Orb's independent developments of Natural-compatible MS OS software, it required a Coordinator to balance all the operations of a mobile suit - which to me always suggested ZAFT needed way better developers, but never mind - it'd be pretty difficult for Rau to make use of a GINN or CGUE without having Coordinator-level reflexes; on balance, it seems more plausible to assume he was indeed a Coordinator. Otherwise, he'd have to have been cloned from one of the most talented Naturals ever to walk the Earth; not impossible, given Mu's piloting prowess, but in this case I'd consider that option more of a stretch, personally.
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
Brave Fencer Kirby

Rau being a Coordinator at Al da Flaga's orders doesn't really make any sense, though. The whole reason he had Rau created in the first place was because he wanted an exact genetic duplicate of himself. He disliked Mu, his own son, because half of Mu's genes belonged to someone else (his mother). With that in mind, having Rau Coordinatorized seems out of character. Though the Coordinator process generally improves one's genome, Al was of the opinion that he was already perfect -- any changes would have been downgrades, in his mind.

My take on it is that the difference between a Natural OS and a Coordinator OS isn't actually as stark as it's made out to be. OMNI's OS in the Gundams was likely even less capable than the OS ZAFT used; Kira had to modify it in order to pilot the Strike worth a damn, so it's clearly not the case that they just needed a Coordinator to pilot it. Presumably the Coordinator OS requires better reflexes and more precise piloting than the Natural version does, but it's not unreasonable to think that a talented Natural -- like Rau -- would be able to handle that. Coordinators aren't superhuman badasses, after all, they're just above average compared to the Natural norm.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
MythSearcher

Dendrobium Stamen wrote:It's been a surprisingly-long time since I watched SEED, but my assumption was always that, either at Al Da Flaga's instruction or just as part of the cloning process, Rau was made into a Coordinator from day #1 - albeit one with the shortened telomere issue which caused him issues as an adult, and a drastically-shortened lifespan.

Given that prior to the Atlantic Federation and Orb's independent developments of Natural-compatible MS OS software, it required a Coordinator to balance all the operations of a mobile suit - which to me always suggested ZAFT needed way better developers, but never mind - it'd be pretty difficult for Rau to make use of a GINN or CGUE without having Coordinator-level reflexes; on balance, it seems more plausible to assume he was indeed a Coordinator. Otherwise, he'd have to have been cloned from one of the most talented Naturals ever to walk the Earth; not impossible, given Mu's piloting prowess, but in this case I'd consider that option more of a stretch, personally.
This led me to check the official website(by the help of way back machine) and see if they listed what Rau is, and found the fun fact that while most main characters were in fact listed to be either Coordinator or Natural before their age, but Rau only had his age listed there for all 4 parts.

I am with Brave Fencer Kirby about Rau being a Natural.

And like I said, Coordinators are not all super human, most are only above average of Naturals, most likely some are better at other aspects but not as good in reflexes, yet they can still use ZAFT's MSs without any problem.
It is actually more reasonable that he is simply that good than assuming he is a coordinator which defies the main point of his existence, being the true copy of Al.
With the existence of Ray, it is also quite likely that there are multiple copies around, and Rau is not just born good, but paid a lot of effort in being superb.
Also, Al might just happen to have good abilities in piloting an MS, not necessarily "one of the most talented Naturals ever to walk the Earth" Considering Mu is also really good in piloting, that is not really too much of a stretch to claim the families DNA is actually pretty decent in piloting.
stormturmoil

Also, Rau had the advantage of Time to Learn; something in short supply once the War started in Earnest, but it could simply be that Rau took longer in training - but he had the time to do that training -to get to where he was.