Late UC Reactors: switch to He3-He3?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
stormturmoil

Late UC Reactors: switch to He3-He3?

Had an odd idea and wondering about since re-reading Crossbone.

During he Late UC period, there are noticeable changes to Mobile suit technology, and to technology in general (though we obviously see the Mobile suits more).
The change appears to happen in the run-up to F91, and several effects are noticeable

Reactor output improves, not only in terms of electricity, but also Minovsky particle output; it used to be impossible to directly run Megaparticle weapons of a Mobile suit sized reactor except in specialty cases of overjuiced reactors with mitigating factors; By F91, the VSBR proves this not to be the case any more. Widespread proliferation of beam shields also tends to indicate this.

Mobile suit Sizes reduce significantly, shaving 3-4 meters height and a lot of Volume off; some of this is explained by armour reductions and moving components outside the chassis.

I was wondering if there might be more to this than merely the constant march of technology and miniaturisation. Then I wondered if maybe it could be attributed to a single governing factor.

Then I remembered that Pure He3-He3 Fusion is a possibility, and has some advantages over De-He3, and began to wonder if the Changes might result from Reactor Technology having advanced to the Point that a switchover to Pure He3-He3 Fusion was possible.

CAVEAT: For the purposes of this hypothesis, I'm assuming that He3-He-3 Fusion is also Minovsky-Compliant; if it isn't the whole thing is dead in the Water.

Now, that out of the way, I also add a Second CAVEAT: this is purely speculation that is never referenced in any Canon; it's purely Theorycrafting.

So, Why would you change from De-He3 to He3-He3 Fusion?

PRO:

Single Fuel system: Even assuming the Deuterium tankage is replaced with equivalent amounts of He-3, the fact you're using the same single fuel means one set of types for things like tanks, fuel conditioners, pre-heaters etc; so you simplify and maybe shave off mass and bulk by only having to have one set of ancillary equipment to pretreat your fuel.

Existing Fuel type: the Jupiter energy Fleet is well established; the switchover is using existing resources, logistics and technology

Truly Aneutronic: Though not referenced in Gundam (since it wasn't realised at the time) De-He3 Fusion is not fully Aneutronic due to De-De side reactions that occur; this means that the reactor vessel should itself be radioactive due to Neutron Activation of the sidewall, and that some radiation Shielding will be needed for the core, adding mass and bulk. With He3-He-3 those Side reactions can't happen, so Radiation Shielding can be cut back. In addition, working on the reactor becomes simpler and safer.

Reaction Products are all charged Particles: All the reaction products of He3-He3 Fusion are charged, making it simpler and easier to deal with them using Magnetics; Direct conversion of Energy to Electricity can be done using Magnetohydrodynamic traps, and the Exhaust could also be directed and vented for MHD Rocket purposes using Magnetic nozzles meaning less reliance on Chemical rockets or propellant.

CON:

Requires much more He3 Fuel, increasing Dependence on He3 availability

Higher initiation Temperature probably leads to more heat removal issues overall. Possible part of the reason F91 and Crossbone ended up with their Heat Vent Faceplates. Probably also why the changeover took as long as it did.

Possibly even more Volatile than De-He3 Fusion reactors when hit with Beams, due to above reason.

So; Thoughts on this? Clearly not remotely Canon or anything, but it's a possible explanation for some of the Technology changes we see happening.
toysdream

Re: Late UC Reactors: switch to He3-He3?

The He3-He3 reaction would have heavier reactants (6.03 mass units versus 5.03 mass units), and it produces barely 2/3 as much energy per reaction, so this seems like it would be inferior in terms of fuel efficiency. I've seen some Japanese publications claiming that, from F91 onwards, the fuel used by fusion reactors is "pre-doped" with Minovsky particles and that this accounts for the higher output...

-- Mark
stormturmoil

toysdream wrote:The He3-He3 reaction would have heavier reactants (6.03 mass units versus 5.03 mass units), and it produces barely 2/3 as much energy per reaction, so this seems like it would be inferior in terms of fuel efficiency. I've seen some Japanese publications claiming that, from F91 onwards, the fuel used by fusion reactors is "pre-doped" with Minovsky particles and that this accounts for the higher output...

-- Mark
I already Knew about the increased Mass of Fuel, but my implication was that reductions in necessary equipment would outweigh that increase. I had misjudged the difference in energy release though, I admit; I had thought the gap smaller, enough that increases in energy conversion Efficiency would compensate.

I had never heard about the pre-doped Fuel theory though.
MythSearcher

From the idea of Minovsky particle catalyzed fusion, I don't see He3-He3 as a possibility.

The +ve and -ve Minovsky particle forms virtual molecules with D and He3 respectively, making them in a well defined lattice form and separating the reactants perfectly, and then the lattice is compressed to ignite the fusion process.

He3-He3 would not form virtual molecules with both +ve and -ve Minovsky particles(since all of them are He3 thus only able to form with one of those), making it likely less dense to begin with.