Random Gundam Tech Tidbits

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Jameedaark

Re: Random Gundam Tech Tidbits

Hi, what do you think about the main cannon of the Big Rang description:
"The Big Rang's powerful reactor supposedly allowed it to quickly replenish its energy supply (although Lt. Oliver May, the unit's test pilot, was dissatisfied with the recharge rate of the main beam cannon aboard, and was reduced to firing short low-power bursts soon after entering combat)."

So is it possible to fire Mega cannons based on the condenser tecnology at a low power bursts?
MythSearcher

Jameedaark wrote:Hi, what do you think about the main cannon of the Big Rang description:
"The Big Rang's powerful reactor supposedly allowed it to quickly replenish its energy supply (although Lt. Oliver May, the unit's test pilot, was dissatisfied with the recharge rate of the main beam cannon aboard, and was reduced to firing short low-power bursts soon after entering combat)."

So is it possible to fire Mega cannons based on the condenser tecnology at a low power bursts?
I don't see this contradicting any other settings.
I'd say it is possible at least for the guns that are designed to do so, just not going to be efficient in terms of power. (the most efficient output might not be the full burst either)
Jameedaark

To me is more logical that the energy required to fuse few minowsky particle is less than to fuse a massive amount of minoswky particles into mega particles, despite of the chamber dimension.
For what I can see on animation and specs, mega cannon based on condenser are much more powerful of beam rifles based on ecaps or epacs. Is evident in animation and output specifications.

About the "Beam Weapon Outputs Revisited" and the Nu Gundam shield mega cannon, to me is incorrect to assume theat the megawatt figure represents the electrical power going into the weapon rather than the power of the resulting beam. Is complicating and illogical.
The values of mw output are more probably the energy output of the resulting beam misured in watt.
About nu gundam we have a little confirm to that in the description of the funnels:
"The actual beam fired by the fin funnels was also more powerful, given that they are emitted by a generator instead of an E-cap, allowing for better performance compared to Zeon's funnels. "

And the rifle of the nu gundam is much powerful of that of the shield without the use of equivalence or multiplicator of ecap based weapons.
The shield output is 7.8mw but fire one beam. The beam rifle is only 3.8mw for every "bullet" but it fire clearly at a high rate like a geelgog beam machine gun or more. So in the same amount of time is more powerful than the shield cannon.
MythSearcher

Jameedaark wrote:To me is more logical that the energy required to fuse few minowsky particle is less than to fuse a massive amount of minoswky particles into mega particles, despite of the chamber dimension.
For what I can see on animation and specs, mega cannon based on condenser are much more powerful of beam rifles based on ecaps or epacs. Is evident in animation and output specifications.

About the "Beam Weapon Outputs Revisited" and the Nu Gundam shield mega cannon, to me is incorrect to assume theat the megawatt figure represents the electrical power going into the weapon rather than the power of the resulting beam. Is complicating and illogical.
The values of mw output are more probably the energy output of the resulting beam misured in watt.
About nu gundam we have a little confirm to that in the description of the funnels:
"The actual beam fired by the fin funnels was also more powerful, given that they are emitted by a generator instead of an E-cap, allowing for better performance compared to Zeon's funnels. "

And the rifle of the nu gundam is much powerful of that of the shield without the use of equivalence or multiplicator of ecap based weapons.
The shield output is 7.8mw but fire one beam. The beam rifle is only 3.8mw for every "bullet" but it fire clearly at a high rate like a geelgog beam machine gun or more. So in the same amount of time is more powerful than the shield cannon.
That is what I am saying.
You need less energy to do so with less M particles, it is only less efficient to do so in a larger chamber. Force Fields weaken over distance, inverse square law, with a larger chamber, you need to cross a longer distance to reach the particles and thus more energy is needed than a small chamber.

For the e-cap vs condenser, I'd say the main difference is the power source. Let's look at the beginning of e-cap, it is designed for the use of low power consumption as the MS did not have as high power as warships, and it would be impractical for them to charge the beam weapons themselves. I'd say since you still need to final triggering energy, you really can't have too much of a power requirement on an MS since they also need to charge up their own capacitors as the final trigger. If the power requirement is too high, you need to install a higher capacitance and each unit will be more expensive and also you need more energy to charge them(longer charging), thus defeating the purpose of the e-cap.

If you have e-caps on high power units, they should still be able to fire powerful shots. I guess Mark was implying the Zanzibar in CDA is using similar technology on its main guns so that it can fire rapid shots. That is always my view. Once you have e-cap technology, you can really use it anywhere given the right designs. The only draw back will be lowered efficiency(more power connections), more complicated systems(again, due to more power connections) and more expensive units(obviously)
On the other hand, you get really good advantages: Higher power shots, energy is precharged and stored so that you can charge them when not in battle, rapid firing.
If deployed right, you may even get secondary gun sized turrets working like main gun turrets for a short period before you empty their e-caps.
The only problem here is how expensive are e-cap units in the size of ship guns.

Maybe what I am getting from is the development of real life shell firing guns. If you load your gun with powder everytime, you are less advanced than pre-packed powder packs.
At first people have to pour gun powder down the barrel, pack them tight with a stick, later they simply pack them inside cloth or paper and push the whole pack down the barrel.
This is what the condenser and e-cap technology look to me. If you look at how real life ship guns are loaded(videos can be found on youtube, like the 6 packs of explosives loaded for the 16" guns) E-cap is a really great advancement in my eyes and strangely not adapted into more of the warships in UC, and people keep stepping back to trying to use older tech condenser as if it is better in some way.
Gelgoog Jager

Straying a bit out of topic, was it ever clarified why the funnels of the Jagd Doga and Sazabi seem to fire laser beams instead of mega particle beams?

Assuming the former is the case, could that explain why those weapons seemed to be one use only unlike the rechargeable ones from previous Neo Zeon models?
MythSearcher

Gelgoog Jager wrote:Straying a bit out of topic, was it ever clarified why the funnels of the Jagd Doga and Sazabi seem to fire laser beams instead of mega particle beams?

Assuming the former is the case, could that explain why those weapons seemed to be one use only unlike the rechargeable ones from previous Neo Zeon models?
If I recall correctly, Sazabi's funnels can be recharged in its pods, the Jagd Doga simply didn't have the pods and hang its funnels on hard points, possibly due to ease of manufacture or economical reasons with the fact that not that much NT can do such precise control to dock the used funnels back in place.

The laser beam appearance probably is just for visual preferences of the artist. The GM[G] Sniper's beam looked awfully like a laser as well.
greboguru

NNnnnnnnecrothread, ARISE!

I wonder why the Psycho Gundam's generator output is 33,600 kw, yet the Psycho Gundam Mark II's generator output is 19,760 kw -- that's a lot less. Weird.