The RX-78-6: What the hell what it REALLY built for?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
J-Lead

The RX-78-6: What the hell what it REALLY built for?

A thought crossed my line recently; I've noticed that the Gundam Mudrock in Battle Operation doesn't hover quite like it does in other games, which isn't terribly something that stood out to me at first, until I noticed that the Armored GM DOES within the same game, and even has a unique animation for it, too.

It seemed like a conscious decision, as if the developers took a look at Mudrock and said "this big, top heavy thing really shouldn't be hovering like that," but didn't come to the same conclusion with the Armored GM, which I guess might have something to do with the Armored GM having large air intakes on the legs whereas Mudrock does not.

But now that I've taken a closer look, just about every iteration of the Mudrock's completed form features a thruster arrangement that's almost perfect for outer space, which leads me to my question; was the Mudrock's completed form still meant for ground assault? The original prototype Agar used at Jaburo seemed pretty suited to the ground, but the completed Mudrock is absolutely laden with multidirectional maneuvering thrusters and verniers that wouldn't be all that helpful in Earth's gravity (Katoki's in particular, which is peculiar, since it seems to be the go-to version for most games and manga.) Considering the fact that the Armored GM actually DOES have a thruster arrangement most suitable to a gravity environment, yet operates very similar to the Mudrock in games that aren't Battle Operation, I can't help but think the RX-78-6's status and a ground assault MS is suspect, and that it might have actually been meant to travel to space with the Blanc Rival.

So I'm curious; are there still modern japanese sources that make mention of the Mudrock being EXCLUSIVELY meant for combat in Earth's gravity, or are they more ambiguous about it's actual intended purpose and just make mention of Agar commandeering it for the assault on California Base?
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
AmuroNT1

Re: The RX-78-6: What the hell what it REALLY built for?

I dunno how much it counts, but the G Generation series and (IIRC) Pilot's Locus for Gamecube both let you use the Mudrock in space.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Gelgoog Jager

Personally I awakes considered the Murdock to be a sister unit of the RX-78-4 and RX-78-5, and its improved form the equivalent of the BST configuration those two units receive (or at least meant to receive in the case of the RX-78-4).

Since Zeonci Front introduces the Murdock at Jaburo, defending the Blanc Rival, i used to assume that it was the Gundam unit assigned to that ship and before being damaged during the assault was meant to join the other decoy Pegasus ships at the start of the EF's space campaign.

As for its leg thrusters, they look quite similar to those found on the Alex and Pale Rider, both of which can be used in space, so I wouldn't have issue assuming that the same is true for the Murdock, and that it's hovering capabilities are simply the result of using constant thrust instead of a proper hovercraft system.

All that being said, I'm more inclined to think that the real reason the Murdock doesn't hover in Battle Operation is simply due to its classification as support unit, which overall tend to be slow units (with some exceptions). Considering that so far we haven't received any hovering support type MS for Zeon, it would seem that the devs are uncertain on who to properly add one such unit with hovering capabilities, which would probably have to be slower while keeping the odd movement mechanics of a fast hovering MS.
JEFFPIATT

Technically it could be the gundam the data for the GM Cannon II came from. while the rgc-83 is considered an GM N sibling both using tech from the Gundam NT-1 project the RX-78-7 Gundam Murdock is basically the earth fedration continuing to test new support ms tech with out continuing the RX-77 line instead using an RX-78 frame as the federation was wanting to focus on getting the Guncannon's backpack style fully working on the close range body frame. the main tested system was the dual beam cannon backpack that would later be used on the RGC-83 with the beam sabers removed.
E08

A quick search on the internet got me a few scans/pictures on Mudrock's MS profile (including from the battle operation). Here they are:

A: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/gun ... 0510122033
B: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/gun ... 0821202916
C: http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig03/10036713a2.jpg
D: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/gun ... 0806232134
E: http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/201 ... on-rx.html
F: http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/201 ... eonic.html
G: https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnykulas/5818264177

Only the link A scan mentions the Mudrock's operating environment with a simple, vague statement in the box on the bottom right indicating that the suit takes into view ground combat.

Meanwhile, the other links (B-G) provide an explanation for the leg thrusters and this is related to the Mudrock's reason for existence. Basically, Mudrock is developed to solve the RX-78-2 Gundam's problem of insufficient firepower whenever its beam rifle ran out of power and needs to be recharged. Mudrock overcome this problem with the addition of a pair of 300mm cannons and a pair of 4-tube grenade launchers. However, these new weapons increase the suit's weight. The suit's backpack is thus enlarged and leg thrusters are added to maintain the suit's mobility. Link G mentions that this only gives the mudrock the same level of mobility as the original Gundam.

Seems to be a pretty good reason why Mudrock has no hovering ability.
MythSearcher

Well, you don't really need to go to the latest sources to get te answer.

The Gundam Encyclopeadia Ver. 1.5 already mentioned that it was planned to serve in the Operation Star One(星一号作戦, the one EFF launched 80+ space warships from Jaburo and ultimately battled at ABQ) thus it is sure that it can operate in space.

The plot is the accident that made it failed to enter the operation in the end.

It is designed to make it the best Ground combat Gundam in OYW, but it is not Ground exclusive.
False Prophet

Gelgoog Jager wrote:Personally I awakes considered the Murdock to be a sister unit of the RX-78-4 and RX-78-5, and its improved form the equivalent of the BST configuration those two units receive (or at least meant to receive in the case of the RX-78-4).

Since Zeonci Front introduces the Murdock at Jaburo, defending the Blanc Rival, i used to assume that it was the Gundam unit assigned to that ship and before being damaged during the assault was meant to join the other decoy Pegasus ships at the start of the EF's space campaign.

As for its leg thrusters, they look quite similar to those found on the Alex and Pale Rider, both of which can be used in space, so I wouldn't have issue assuming that the same is true for the Murdock, and that it's hovering capabilities are simply the result of using constant thrust instead of a proper hovercraft system.

All that being said, I'm more inclined to think that the real reason the Murdock doesn't hover in Battle Operation is simply due to its classification as support unit, which overall tend to be slow units (with some exceptions). Considering that so far we haven't received any hovering support type MS for Zeon, it would seem that the devs are uncertain on who to properly add one such unit with hovering capabilities, which would probably have to be slower while keeping the odd movement mechanics of a fast hovering MS.
Funny that you mention the Blanc Rival. MSV-R confims that it is still in use after the First Neo Zeon War, and carried Ingrid 0 and her Heavy Gundam (another Gundam with cannon, like the Murdock) looking for the the Sangre Azul Zanzibar-class.
ChaoticSheep1

I wonder why that Pegasus never received a full refit as part of the UC 90 EF military buildup. It's still has the old bridge. Seems like it's weapons and hull is way too out of date. I don't know how the incompetence boat that the EF party on is still afloat.
HalfDemonInuyasha

And even if the Mudrock wasn't made specifically for hovering, it doesn't mean it can't in general, assuming its thruster power is strong enough to compensate for the extra weight of the additional weapons and ammo and able to maintain its balance and such. Like the MS-07H-4 Gouf Flight Type was originally meant to be a flight-capable mobile suit, but never succeeded in being able to go very far for very long, but was used as a hovering unit on the ground by the EFF after the OYW, defending Jaburo. ZZ also had the Blue Team Gelgoog seemingly hovering around in its battle with the ZZ Gundam too, despite being a standard Gelgoog.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
JEFFPIATT

HalfDemonInuyasha wrote:And even if the Mudrock wasn't made specifically for hovering, it doesn't mean it can't in general, assuming its thruster power is strong enough to compensate for the extra weight of the additional weapons and ammo and able to maintain its balance and such. Like the MS-07H-4 Gouf Flight Type was originally meant to be a flight-capable mobile suit, but never succeeded in being able to go very far for very long, but was used as a hovering unit on the ground by the EFF after the OYW, defending Jaburo. ZZ also had the Blue Team Gelgoog seemingly hovering around in its battle with the ZZ Gundam too, despite being a standard Gelgoog.
it was implied by the late war period and during the zeta - zz era all ms had limited dom like hovering ability
J-Lead

Well, damn; I completely forgot I made this topic. I'll chalk that up to me having four Belgian Tripels in me when I made it...
E08 wrote:Meanwhile, the other links (B-G) provide an explanation for the leg thrusters and this is related to the Mudrock's reason for existence. Basically, Mudrock is developed to solve the RX-78-2 Gundam's problem of insufficient firepower whenever its beam rifle ran out of power and needs to be recharged. Mudrock overcome this problem with the addition of a pair of 300mm cannons and a pair of 4-tube grenade launchers. However, these new weapons increase the suit's weight. The suit's backpack is thus enlarged and leg thrusters are added to maintain the suit's mobility. Link G mentions that this only gives the mudrock the same level of mobility as the original Gundam.
This likely also means that the Mudrock is likely very fuel inefficient compared to the RX-78-2/02 and it's bretheren...
MythSearcher wrote:Well, you don't really need to go to the latest sources to get te answer.

The Gundam Encyclopeadia Ver. 1.5 already mentioned that it was planned to serve in the Operation Star One(星一号作戦, the one EFF launched 80+ space warships from Jaburo and ultimately battled at ABQ) thus it is sure that it can operate in space.
Well, that's actually quite an interesting addition to the lore. Wonder how well Agar would have done against the forces of A Baoa Qu instead of the Midnight Fenrir who was more or less very ready for him at the time of their engagement.
ChaoticSheep1 wrote:I wonder why that Pegasus never received a full refit as part of the UC 90 EF military buildup.
Probably had something to do with it's unimpressive MS capacity in comparison to other ships at the time. By the time the Federation was truly reorganizing their fleet, the Alexandria Class was in production and could handle 2 more than the usual Pegasus Class. The Thoroughbred could apparenltly handle 15 MS if the need arised so it could be assumed that the rest could handle the load of 15 if ABSOLUTELY necessary, but was only designed to handle 6, as per the usual Pegasus-Class Assault Carrier's optimum on-board Mobile suit capacity.
HalfDemonInuyasha wrote:And even if the Mudrock wasn't made specifically for hovering, it doesn't mean it can't in general,
Well, yeah. Just about any mobile suit with leg thrusters can hover to some degree, as the Zaku II Kai demonstrated; the question is, how long and how efficiently? I always kind of figured that the Dom, a mobile suit that was specifically built for hovering, could do it better than a Gundam that just kind of had the idea worked into it's general design after the fact (*cough* Mudrock *cough*) and Zeonic Front readily demonstrates that, with the Dom being able to move faster while hovering and whatnot. That said, the RGM-79FD could hover as well as it did thanks to it's air intakes on the legs as opposed to the Mudrock, which wasn't designed with hovering in mind in the planning stages. It may be a personal extrapolation, but I think the RGM-79FD might be far more suited to fast paced ground combat than the RX-78-6, given what it's equipped with, and that the RX-78-6 is best used in short engagements rather than protracted battles, given it's more cumbersome weight and probable lack of fuel efficiency.
JEFFPIATT wrote:it was implied by the late war period and during the zeta - zz era all ms had limited dom like hovering ability
True, but also during the OYW, as well. The Zaku II Kai was perfectly able to hover across the ground at considerable speed, and the Kampfer has shown itself to be able to as well, and while Christina Mackenzie may not have been the ideal combat pilot, Gundam Alex could have easily handled such a task with far more ease than any of the aformentioned models.

Personally, and this may be a personal extrapolation, but I think that any mobile suit with extra leg thrusters beyond the Navicular/Metatarsal thrusters (speaking of, I'm curious as to how the RX-79[G] got away with omitting those) can hover to some degree, whether easily ala Zeta-Era MS or with minor, but manageable difficulty, like with crappy old MS used in the Jaburo battle in Z Gundam...

Om an related note, it seems that the RX-78-4, RX-78-5, and RX-78-6 all put out the same thrust at 70500 kg...I guess that really does lend to the theory that RX-78-6 was meant merely solve a problem with RX-78-2's firepower and not turn it into the Federation equivalent of a Dom...

But then again, Universal Century numbers have never added up very well in comparion to MS dreampt up by those OVA high budget animation savants, so who knows how the truth works?
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Dark Duel

J-Lead wrote:Personally, and this may be a personal extrapolation, but I think that any mobile suit with extra leg thrusters beyond the Navicular/Metatarsal thrusters (speaking of, I'm curious as to how the RX-79[G] got away with omitting those)
I always assumed that since the 79[G] was essentially meant as purely a ground-type unit, it was deemed unnecessary.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
JEFFPIATT

Dark Duel wrote:
J-Lead wrote:Personally, and this may be a personal extrapolation, but I think that any mobile suit with extra leg thrusters beyond the Navicular/Metatarsal thrusters (speaking of, I'm curious as to how the RX-79[G] got away with omitting those)
I always assumed that since the 79[G] was essentially meant as purely a ground-type unit, it was deemed unnecessary.
The Rx-79{G} came out before the Dom was deployed. and the concept behind the efgf units and the zaku ground typed was to remove any thruster mounts from the frame on the legs making them walking tanks. it wasn't till the Gouf and the Dom that Hovering was added and the first plan was to make an flying ms only to have the test units over heat and explode.