What MS design would you like to fix?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
False Prophet

What MS design would you like to fix?

As the title says, this thread is all about laying down your gripes about particular MS and discuss about them.

I'll start with the Galluss-S from AOZ Reboot. What I want to see here is more thrusters on the skirt and leg areas (compare to the Galluss-J, the Galluss-S seems only to have two addittional thrusters on the calves and two tiny ones on the waists), beacause from its intended operation enviroment and giant lance, I imagine the MS is designed to fufill the role of a fast-attack unit (like the Dom) on the wide plains of Mars; and I think that the original urban-combat Galluss-J is under-populsion for this task compare to the Dwadge and Dreissen.
YokozunaBulldozer

Re: What MS design would you like to fix?

1. Whether people hate or like SEED Destiny, I would have liked to repaint those gold parts to good ol' gunmetal and get rid of that godforsaken gold death ray belly button.
What's wrong with good ol' gunmetal?
On a side note, I like the existing color scheme of the Destiny Gundam, but I think a good ol' Char custom color scheme or maybe the Titans Gundam MK-II color could have worked to help make the Destiny look more menacing and ooze hate from all its creases.

2. The head and shoulders of the TV version of Wing Gundam could be revised to resemble more of the left side of Wing Gundam Fenice(the side with the unbroken V-fin and green shoulders).
Ever since EW and Build Fighters the TV version does not age well for me.
Also just have all the Endless Waltz color schemes for the Gundams on TV because I think the Endless Waltz colors work better.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Dark Duel

Well, assuming we exclude the Cosmic Era altogether because I've already expounded ad nauseam on the subject on several occasions, the next target I would want to do something with is the 00-Raiser.
Because frankly, with that big friggin' plane dangling off its back, it looks completely ridiculous.
What I think I would do is strip the key components of the 0-Raiser and the Raiser System, and build them directly into the main body of 00 itself.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
PowerdGNFlag

Double X. Remove sideburns. That is all.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
MythSearcher

Applies to all.

Armour placement should be improved in all MSs. cover joints with at least double layers and space between them.

Boosters should be used in most situations before encounters.

Counter weights should always be there on longer weapons or handle should be closer to centre of mass.

Defense should be mainly kept to armour.

EWAC Nero wired camera should be light enough to be installed on all MSs.

Fingers are mostly useless, removing those can simplify production by a lot.

Grapping wire manipulator, of about 10 km in length, should replace fingers as standard issue.

Hyper Mega Cannon(of FAZZ) should be modified as standard sniper weapon against ships.

Incom tech should be used on above grapping wire.

Joints should be covered with softer but resistive material like kevlar or at least chains(like what you see under the tank turrets).

Kinectic energy weapons should be improved, like HEAT shells should fire beam instead of metal jet.

Laser scope should be used to assist aiming and firing.

Main thrusters should be at bottom of feet or at least legs.

Normal suit should have motion capture function for hands to directly control the MSs at the very least.

Optional equipments should have standard mass, extra heavy options should come with extra sturcture to strengthen MS capacity.

Propulsion systems should be kept in parallel and sum of thrust should pass through COM when you want full thrust.

Quantum communication should really be developed to mass-productionable. I mean, at least make it so in the CE-verse(since they do have that for Super Dragoons).

Remove overly large calibre head vulcans, 20mm, or even 12.7mm would be more than sufficient, actually might as well just add CIWS like turrets on shoulders instead.

Shields are inefficient and slows down turning speed so ditch them unless you need them for some other reasons. And no, using it as a nose cone is not a good enough reason(I am talking about you, Zeta)

Take away all the transformation parts of TMSs and strengthen their structural integrity.

Utility MSs should not exist, you don't need something that complicated to fix your ship, you have things like Ball.

Verniers should be kept at minimal to decrease failure rate, more vernier thrusters doesn't really mean better, it means you have more dead weight when they are not firing.(The-O really need to improve on this, ZZ is not much better)

Walking is not a necessary function, use hovering instead if you really need to fight in places with gravity.

can't think of XYZs. ;9
ShadowCell

i'd copy the 00 Qan[T]'s big shoulder attachment onto the other shoulder, because i demand symmetry for irrational but compelling reasons

also i think i would've lopped off the Dagger torso from the Gells-Ghe and just gone full-on angry beetle machine with it. and probably blown it up to twice its size.

aaaaaaaaaaand uh...y'know what, as long as they had the Destroy Gundam stomping around cities like a kaiju, i would've just gone all-out with the kaiju look on it instead of making a Gundam with the largest of backpacks. the Danazine from Gundam AGE had the right idea there.
Dark Duel

With the Destroy, the only thing I did personally was ditch the transformation and make it a Big Zam-style mobile armor rather than the world's stupidest-looking TMS. Other than that and some very minor alterations to some of the weapons, I left it pretty much intact.

As for the Gells-Ghe, I actually kept the torso and opted to go all the way with the drider comparison instead - added a fourth pair of legs and changed the colors to a mostly black color scheme.
But lopping off the Dagger torso entirely is another possibility, provided you find a way to reengineer the emitters for the positron reflector.

And after all here I am talking about CE. Let's see then...
The entire New Millennium line - ZAKU and all descendents thereof - incorporate an escape pod system - not the Core Splendor, which is far too complex to be suitable for mass-production. No, what I did was take the ZAKU Splendor's(from MSV) escape pod and have that installed in the ZAKU Warrior and all derivatives thereof.
Oh, and the GOUF Ignited's total lack of any truly long-range weapon is ridiculous, so I gave it the same beam rifle and gunlauncher as the BABI(Which I didn't use at all, but that's another discussion entirely).

As for the Gundams...the Impulse's Silhouette Flyers being flown in by a separate separate booster-thing that drops off the Flyer and disappears into a plot hole annoyed me, so instead each Silhouette Flyer would be a singular, entirely self-contained unit with the guidance/propulsion systems integrated into the Flyer, with the nose cone folding down during docking.

Apart from the oft-mentioned(by me) overhaul of the Destiny's design, that's about all as far as stuff the CE did that annoyed me.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
ShadowCell

oh yeah also, the Gyan. i would respectfully point out that if the shield is supposed to be absorbing enemy fire then that may not be the place where you want to store a large quantity of explosives.
Massignifico

Big Zam should have better arrangement for its beam guns to cover all the blind spots and no stupid toe missiles.
False Prophet

Dark Duel wrote: The entire New Millennium line - ZAKU and all descendents thereof - incorporate an escape pod system - not the Core Splendor, which is far too complex to be suitable for mass-production. No, what I did was take the ZAKU Splendor's (from MSV) escape pod and have that installed in the ZAKU Warrior and all derivatives thereof.
Not a bad choice, although I think the Gouf Combined Test Type in UC is an even more simpler and efficient design.

For the Waterproof Gundam, I would like to see a shorter, more aerodynamic legs to make the movement of the MS more in-line, instead of moving "leg heavy" like how space MS moves. Or better, makes the legs retractable.
SonicSP

Take the AGE-FX and revert it back to the AGE-3 Normal.
Dark Duel wrote:Well, assuming we exclude the Cosmic Era altogether because I've already expounded ad nauseam on the subject on several occasions, the next target I would want to do something with is the 00-Raiser.
Because frankly, with that big friggin' plane dangling off its back, it looks completely ridiculous.
What I think I would do is strip the key components of the 0-Raiser and the Raiser System, and build them directly into the main body of 00 itself.
For what it's worth, they managed to build the 0 Raiser stabilizer machine into the GN Buster Sword II of the 00 Seven Sword/G variant. That's why both 00 Raiser and 00 Seven Sword/G variants are able to take advantage of the Twin Condenser System, because the 0 Raiser system is onboard. Building the components directly into 00 probabaly shouldn't be too difficult.

Personally though I am okay with the 00 Raiser design as it is, though I really hated it at first initially because of the plane thing. But it grew on me over time and became my favorite Gundam design.
Gelgoog Jager

False Prophet wrote:As the title says, this thread is all about laying down your gripes about particular MS and discuss about them.

I'll start with the Galluss-S from AOZ Reboot. What I want to see here is more thrusters on the skirt and leg areas (compare to the Galluss-J, the Galluss-S seems only to have two addittional thrusters on the calves and two tiny ones on the waists), beacause from its intended operation enviroment and giant lance, I imagine the MS is designed to fufill the role of a fast-attack unit (like the Dom) on the wide plains of Mars; and I think that the original urban-combat Galluss-J is under-populsion for this task compare to the Dwadge and Dreissen.
One minor, but important retcon I would do on the Gallus series based on the Gallus S would be the inclusion of the same type of beam saber racks on its sister units. If the ZZ Gundam was retconned to include head vulcans after ZZ aired, I think such change should be acceptable.

There are many odd details about the Gallus series I would like to discuss, but I think it might be better to make a different thread specifically for that.
domtropen

For UC Goufs I hope to get rid of those above-crotch cable, it restricts waist rotation in all model incarnations...

Dijeh: splitting or get rid of that red piece at the belly for the same reason as Goufs' cable...

ZZ: change the way it transform; for me flipping hands and feet with thrusters is just stupid.
Gelgoog Jager

domtropen wrote:For UC Goufs I hope to get rid of those above-crotch cable, it restricts waist rotation in all model incarnations...
I can see what you mean, but as long as the cable can be stretched enough for the Gouf to rotate its torso 45º, I see no harm done.

In fact, I dare say that torso cables, in both Goufs and Zakus, are the only ones that ever struck me as somewhat useful since the provide an secondary route from the generator (in the waist of the MS) to the backpack, in case the primary route became compromised due to damage or maintenance.

Compared to the leg cables or the even more pointless head cables that simply go around the head, I think that at least these ones could have a relevant purpose.
domtropen

Not even HG Gouf revive can rotate its waist more than 45 degree before really stretching the cable so much that it pops out, and I don't even want to talk about MG 2.0... While in anime Gouf can rotate its waist fine, in reality you cannot make the cable long enough without making the kit look ugly.....
Gelgoog Jager

I'm pretty sure that in the animation when such cables break they are shown to be quite flexible, unlike what the model kits may lead you to think. Let me check and try to find some specific examples, but from the top of my head I think that in the first ep of MS Igloo 2 it can be appreciated when the Zaku Hunter unit fails at destroying the first Zaku II.
J-Lead

The Origin's RX-78-02 is by far my favorite interpretation of the Gundam with the new FIX Figuration and the MG, but the upside down shield drives me up a wall. Made sense when Origin was starting, but with the rotating mount, it's kind of redundant. All it means is that when the shield isn't in the defensive position, Amuro can't see shit if he looks left. That's why I like this modeler, who fixed my gripe.

I cannot abide Night Seeker's dinky little back thrusters. Go Full Burnern or not at all.

I'd also change a few details on the RX-79(G) to make it clear it actually did take parts from the V Project. Like, change the head, feet, and forearms to RX-78-2s with a few modifications so the explanation behind it's origin story makes visual sense.
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
yazi88

I'd say remove the green chest piece on the Dreadnought Gundam and change the colors too... it already resembles the TV Wing Gundam too much already...

Also... change the crotch area of the Barzams... those look like a beam cannon... doesn't help considering where the placement is...
ShadowCell

no no that's the best thing about the Barzam

in fact there should just be more Barzams in general. more Zakrellos, too.
ChaoticSheep1

Fix the best thing about the Barzam? Don't fix what ain't broken.