MBF-P03secondL Gundam Astray Blue Frame Second L - Mask

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
knighief

MBF-P03secondL Gundam Astray Blue Frame Second L - Mask

The chin guard(?) of Blue frame Second L (not Revise) was able to flip up into a 'mask'.

I first saw the 'mask' was many years ago while searching for Blue Frame videos in the 2005 PS2 game "Gundam Generation of CE", which Blue Frame Flip it's chin guard(?) into a 'mask' before charging onto the enemy,

then years later found another reference in Gundam Seed Astray Masters Magazine (2006) with a Gunpla mod of the 'mask', which the chin guard(?) extend to covering the face forming a mask,

after that i went to search my NG 1/100 Gunpla Manual (2004) which i found (probably the first shown image of) a line art of Blue Frame charging with Tactical Arms in sword form with the 'mask' on.

So, my question is, is there any mention anywhere else of this elusive unknown 'mask'. Is there any mention in the Blue Frame's Gunpla Manual?
balofo

Re: MBF-P03secondL Gundam Astray Blue Frame Second L - Mask

No mention in any manual as far as I can see, but jp wiki says the chin guard becomes a shutter to protect the face during peek-a-Boo style boxing.

However, the lineart showing the boxing stance doesn't have the shutter deployed while the one you mentioned has it(TA charging).

Maybe it's explained in one of the novels...
knighief

didn't know peek-a-Boo style boxing was a real term.

anyway, boxing stance with mask on did appear in the Gundam Generation of CE where Blue Frame equip the mask, fire a few shots with T.A. Gatling Mode, peek a boo stance and then rush onto the enemy exactly same as the lineart with Blue Frame charging except without the mask.

Shutter, shutter mask it is then.
E08

Personally, i don't remember Blue Frame 2ndL having a mask mentioned in any of the chinese fan translation of the astray novels i have seen. Perhaps, one of the other board members who have the access to the japanese text can check?
knighief

probably one of the reason that Bandai discontinued the mask gimmick, was that it was either hard or troublesome to make it into the scale of HG, NG and probably even MG as the Revise has even slimmer face.
Xenosynth

http://imgur.com/W0St0OJ
Another bit of media that shows it is SRW W, just thought I'd upload it so people would have an image of it.
knighief

I just rewatched the Blue Frame OVA and the chin guard is a shutter mask!
Blue Frame didn't turn it to a mask but i found it, THREE layers of the shutter mask in chin guard mode.
exactly the same 3 layer armor as the line art, game appearance and the Gunpla Mod.
knighief

Xenosynth wrote:http://imgur.com/W0St0OJ
Another bit of media that shows it is SRW W, just thought I'd upload it so people would have an image of it.
forgotten that it even appeared in SD Gundam G-Generation Overworld (2012) (PSP)
E08

knighief wrote:I just rewatched the Blue Frame OVA and the chin guard is a shutter mask!
Blue Frame didn't turn it to a mask but i found it, THREE layers of the shutter mask in chin guard mode.
exactly the same 3 layer armor as the line art, game appearance and the Gunpla Mod.
Just curious, which part of the OVA?
knighief

00:10 there is a mechanism under the chin guard
04:38 as he swings the T.A., the close up frame show there are 3 layers of chin guard armor