The Generation issue of U.C MS

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
ShadowCell

Re: The Generation issue of U.C MS

False Prophet, please stop linking to scanlation sites. thanks.
Gelgoog Jager

False Prophet wrote:A little tidbit: Ever since the GP04, there has been a number of MS with propulsion fins (A.K.A thrusters that protrude from the backpack, unlike the OYW MS which only have the nozzles mounted directly on the lowerside of the backpack.) like the Mk.II, the ZZ, Jegan, even the Hi-Nu has one

So should we also take this into the classification of MS generation? I mean, it and the wing binders/tail stabilators can be grouped into the "Improved AMBAC" design elements.
Actually, those are technically on the opposite spectrum of AMBAC: to best explain this we just need to take a look at the MS-21C, which is known to not use the AMBAC system due to its lack of proper legs and instead uses these "fin thrusters" for cruising and a large number of verniers on its shoulders for maneuvering. I presume the same might be true for the space-bound GP04, meant to those thrusters for high speed space cruising, but unlike the Dra-C, the GP04's are supposed to be ejected once they run out of propellant, making them closer to ejectable boosters similar to the Gerbera Tetra's sturm booster.

As for the other examples of thrusters placed on minor protrusions from the backpack, I don't think that they are much different from Zeon MS having thrusters on their skirts or supposedly even on their forearms. In fact, the ZZ's shoulder thrusters could well be considered a trait based on the Gelgoog series own shoulder thrusters.

Last, but not least, Gundam Thunderbolt has placed many MS with similar booster systems already around since the OYW.
MythSearcher

Gelgoog Jager wrote:
False Prophet wrote:A little tidbit: Ever since the GP04, there has been a number of MS with propulsion fins (A.K.A thrusters that protrude from the backpack, unlike the OYW MS which only have the nozzles mounted directly on the lowerside of the backpack.) like the Mk.II, the ZZ, Jegan, even the Hi-Nu has one

So should we also take this into the classification of MS generation? I mean, it and the wing binders/tail stabilators can be grouped into the "Improved AMBAC" design elements.
Actually, those are technically on the opposite spectrum of AMBAC: to best explain this we just need to take a look at the MS-21C, which is known to not use the AMBAC system due to its lack of proper legs and instead uses these "fin thrusters" for cruising and a large number of verniers on its shoulders for maneuvering. I presume the same might be true for the space-bound GP04, meant to those thrusters for high speed space cruising, but unlike the Dra-C, the GP04's are supposed to be ejected once they run out of propellant, making them closer to ejectable boosters similar to the Gerbera Tetra's sturm booster.

As for the other examples of thrusters placed on minor protrusions from the backpack, I don't think that they are much different from Zeon MS having thrusters on their skirts or supposedly even on their forearms. In fact, the ZZ's shoulder thrusters could well be considered a trait based on the Gelgoog series own shoulder thrusters.

Last, but not least, Gundam Thunderbolt has placed many MS with similar booster systems already around since the OYW.
Hmmm, I view this in a totally different angle.

If the fins/protrusions are moveable, they can serve as AMBAC limbs(whether it actually does depends on the system configuration onboard, porbably do since processing power doesn't seem to be a problem in UC), since they carry certain mass and with the CoM extended that far out, they should be a quite significant contributor to the moment of inertia. Similar to the wing binders on Hyakushiki and Zeta, which is clearly stated that they improve the AMBAC functions.

The GP04G fin thrusters, I usually assumed that they can move, but never thought of they being detachable, the reason is that the nozzles on them are too small to be considered main thrusters, thus I don't consider them the same as AGX-04G's strum boosters. They look much more like extended verniers for picking up a longer moment arm to increase turning speed of the unit instead of the acceleration in one direction.
E08

Actually, the fins/protrusions/fin thrusters of Gundam GP04 are indeed sturm boosters. They are identified as such in the RE1/100 manual, and here's an animated screenshot (from which animation i could not recall, perhaps from the end of GP03 Gundam Evolve?) calling them as such: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/gun ... 0412143437

Sure their thruster nozzles are small, but they have quite a number of them. Anyway, RE 1/100 did describe the GP04's sturm boosters' purpose as allowing the suit to reach the frontline in a hurry and participate in the fighting quickly.
Gelgoog Jager

In my case I think that MS or MA that can combine with a large attachment for conducting anti-fortress/anti-fleet battle and then separate for engaging smaller but faster enemies, or performing more delicate missions (such as fighting inside a space colony) would be more fit of a being given a classification of their own.

The RX-78GP03 Dendobrium, AMA-01X+AMF-02R Jammu Fin and the NZ-999 Neo Zeon are examples of such units. In particular, the RX-78GP03S Dendobrium and MSN-06S Sinanju can even store MS-sized weapons for their individual use within their MA attachments. If these MS could afterwards return to their "bases" and also resupply their propellant and fixed weapon ammo, they could probably be able to operate on their own without support over long periods of time.

IIRC, the Turn A Gundam's DOC base was supposed to be a similar kind of system.

There's also the particular case of the Big Rang, which unfortunately loses mobility while carrying its AD (ammunition depot) attachment, I suppose that it's speed problem could be at least partially addressed with some of the boosters we were talking about earlier), but becomes able to resupply ally units (it would be interesting to know if it could be configured to resupply MS and MA besides Mobile Pods).

If the MA-05AD is able to separate and reconnect its AD attachment, and the later could operate without the Bygro connected to it, the Big Rang could get close to the battle are, detach its AD attachment where allies could reach it to resupply and engage the enemy as a standalone MA-05, acting as a diversion while the resupply operation takes place.