The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk II

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Calubin_175

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk II

IBO is one of the few Gundam Universes to have open market MS.

The Hexa Frame(Hugo, Gilda) and Rodi Frame(Garm, Man, Spinner) are equivalent to the GM and Hizack frame respectively in the 0083-87 era where both equally ranked frames are widely available and their use are mainly determined by pilot preference.

However, in a world where armor could fend off solid rounds and light armor couldn't, the Hexa frame fares very poorly if the pilot could not manoeuver well due to lack of skill, regardless of being in space or under gravity.

On the other hand, the Rodi series fares much better with heavier armor, with the extreme variant being the Man Rodi, it is a machine that allows the pilot to take more hits without getting destroyed. Its manoeuvrability in space is pretty adequate too.

But then, even a Hugo with a buster sword is capable of out maneuvering a Rodi and smash it to pieces. So it is ultimately a contest between the fragile speedster and stone wall.

Newer frames like the Graze, Hyakuren and Shiden are more balanced.
E08

That's not totally true, remember that the characteristic of the Rodi frame is its versatility and lack of weakness, and not the ability to carry heavy armor. It is just that the Rodi Frame MS we have seen in the series all tend to have heavy armor.
yazi88

The Garm and Man Rodi's have heavy armor... Spinner Rodi's seem to have medium armor. Armor arrangement depends on what mode to use for that frame. Garm Rodi's seem more balanced than the Man Rodi's in terms of weight and fuel consumption. The Gilda seems to be have more armor than the Hugo.
Wingnut

Well, looks like we have a Ghost in the Shell when it comes to Vidar, and possibly Beal as well. Interesting...
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Shinji_Shinigami

Interessting to see, that with this kind of twisted technology, Vidar has the full capability of the AV system, without the drawbacks (so far). Amost reminds me of some sort of Zero system from Gundam Wing. I personally believe, that Mcgillis had and AV all along. The backplane of it looked different then what the kids from Tekkadan use. So i could imagine, that through some kind of better treatment, it would not stick out of your body, as it does with all of the boys from tekkadan. As far as we have been shown, the medical treatment they have been give was barbaric and somewhat medieval. So i would say, that even though it is an AV it is not the most advanced version of it.
SonicSP

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk

It reminds me of 1 Gundam quite a bit. The lineart is also the best depiction of it I've seen so far......though keep in mind that's I'm also five episodes behind in the show.
E08

Shinji_Shinigami wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:59 am I personally believe, that Mcgillis had and AV all along. The backplane of it looked different then what the kids from Tekkadan use. So i could imagine, that through some kind of better treatment, it would not stick out of your body, as it does with all of the boys from tekkadan. As far as we have been shown, the medical treatment they have been give was barbaric and somewhat medieval. So i would say, that even though it is an AV it is not the most advanced version of it.
Prior to activating Bael, McGillis said he is showing to Gaelio the fruit of the research he did with the help of Gaelio and Ein. To me, this implies that the earliest Mcgillis could possibly have the AV surgery was after the battle of Edmonton. As for the metal piece on his back, i'm not sure if that is the equivalent to the spike protrusion on Mika and Co's back, or the equivalent to the oval dome-shaped device that Mika and Co had to put on the spike protrusion before connecting to the AV system in the mobile worker/suit.

The official site's profile for Bael did not reveal anything new. What it says is roughly this: A Gundam Frame machine, the soul of Agnika Kaieru, the founder of Gjallarhorn, is said to reside within it. It has been placed in the basement of the Gjallarhorn's Earth HQ for a long time. On a side note, the japanese official site also updated certain MS profiles (those with 'pick up' sign) with info and pictures from the model kit manuals as well as screenshots from various episode.

On the topic of Bael, It is the only one to have the cockpit from the Calamity War era. This is from the japanese wiki, which list its source as Kanetake Ebikawa's twit

yazi88, here's the answer to your Landman Rodi question thanks to japanese wiki again for pointing out the source: Landman Rodi's legs are high class/grade parts, and that's why it can function in space. In comparison, the Man Rodi's legs are low cost, space use version. Source: ippei gyoubu
This twit also mention some kind of link between the maker of Man Rodi and Gusion (I assume the Gusion here is the Brewer's and not the Calamity War era), and about the popular usage of H debris after brewers' disbandment and JPT trust. I have some problem reading these later parts, perhaps one of the better japanese speaker can translate them?

Last but not least, here's more info for Golden Jasley from Kenji Teraoka's twit as listed by the japanese wiki: A heavily armored ship, the armor on the Halfbeak class' bow and bridge have been greatly enhanced. The added armor on the bridge prevents it from retracting.
yazi88

Thank you for the info about the Landman Rodi.

Also... about the Bael still having its cockpit... wouldn't the Flauros still have its original cockpit as it was found in the mines? Or was it damaged that it had to be replaced?
PowerdGNFlag

yazi88 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:53 am Thank you for the info about the Landman Rodi.

Also... about the Bael still having its cockpit... wouldn't the Flauros still have its original cockpit as it was found in the mines? Or was it damaged that it had to be replaced?
I would assume that to reduce any compatibility problems they replaced the cockpit they found in the Flauros with one of their own (i.e. more compatible with the Alayashiki that they have).
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
wizardsrequiem

Considering that the Kimaris is a family heirloom of the Bauduin's, is it possible that its Calamity War cockpit is still usable and was integrated in the creation of Vidar's pseudo Alaya Vijnana system? Although judging on the scenes in the show, this doesn't seem so.
yazi88

Given how Gaelio piloted the Kimaris in season 1, he might have removed and disposed of the original cockpit. Is it confirmed that the Vidar Gundam is retrofitted/rebuilt Kimaris? Cause the manual for the kit highly suggests this.
SonicSP

yazi88 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:33 pm Given how Gaelio piloted the Kimaris in season 1, he might have removed and disposed of the original cockpit. Is it confirmed that the Vidar Gundam is retrofitted/rebuilt Kimaris? Cause the manual for the kit highly suggests this.
I don't think it's been explicitly confirmed yet, but all signs more of less points to that including the fact that it went through an extensive repair phase and the fact that added a third reactor to hide just the signature and not to performance due the twin reactors' output being "more than enough".

There really wouldn't be any reason to hide the signature if they found a new Gundam Frame somewhere. They can still pull a plot twist and make it a different Gundam Frame but there wouldn't be much logical reason for them to pull the costly stops that they did in-universe otherwise unless the writers really just wanted an out-universe surprise for viewers just for the sake of it (due to Vidar's identity being a shoe in the moment he appeared).
yazi88

Well... I'm guessing some tech from the Graze Ein is added to the Vidar Gundam when it was being upgraded from the Kimaris, and the armor and weapons did change quite a bit too, sort of like how different the Gusion Rebake is from the Brewers Gusion which itself was redesigned from whatever the original Gusion looked like.

Also... isn't it kind of weird we haven't seen or heard ANYTHING of a IBO MSV guide? The only other thing going on is the sidestory manga which is pretty much the closest thing to variation designs and a few more Gundams.
Kuruni

IIRC, G-Reco only get MSV after finish it run. Same as GBF (although GBF get more variants from Try-Age and side stories).

I guess after Age, Sunrise just decide to get back to how they handle 90s AU era.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Arsarcana

I imagine they'll do some some MSV based on season two material once the show is done, then they'll put out a book. Speaking of MSV, it's actually getting some more gunpla love with a Vual kit due out in a couple of months. Did that story end? Because the last I heard of it the Astaroth was still missing a good chunk of its original parts (ie, up for more MSV).
E08

yazi88 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:53 am Also... about the Bael still having its cockpit... wouldn't the Flauros still have its original cockpit as it was found in the mines? Or was it damaged that it had to be replaced?
It is possible that the internal of the Flauros' cockpit was missing when it was discovered similar to the Gundam Barbatos.
E08

1/100 Barbatos Lupus Rex manual: 1, 2

Other than the heel bunker profile, the rest are all the same as the HG.

Reginlaze Julia manual: 1, 2

There is the usual odd wording, but other than that i don't think there is any major mistake. Its link to Graze Ein is a nice touch, but too bad no mention of the feet blades, the machine guns on the shoulder thruster binders, and the unique side skirt armor structure. Guess there is insufficient space.
Dark Duel

Maybe it's just me, but the binder-looking things on the side skirt of the Reginlaze Julia remind me of enlarged versions of the ones that were mounted to the outer legs on the Schwalbe Graze.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
yazi88

Dark Duel wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:02 am Maybe it's just me, but the binder-looking things on the side skirt of the Reginlaze Julia remind me of enlarged versions of the ones that were mounted to the outer legs on the Schwalbe Graze.
Its probably Gjharrhorn using design features/concepts from other previous units and just upgrading them. Like the Regular Reginglaze uses a similar type of space backpack that the Space Grazes use. The Vidar Gundam has verniers on the knees in the similar fashion as the Schalbe Graze.