MMP-80 VRS MMP-78 whic zaku gun would you prefer?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
nacho-wan

MMP-80 VRS MMP-78 whic zaku gun would you prefer?

Suppose you are an experienced Zeon pilot -battle hardened but not yet an ace. You don't have enough pull to get a next gen machine, but at least you are assigned a Zaku II FZ. You get to choose your main gun: a new MMP-80 90MM or a old but proven MMP-78 120MM.

Which would you choose? Why?
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Gelgoog Jager

Re: MMP-80 VRS MMP-78 whic zaku gun would you prefer?

I believe that in such situation the biggest determining factor would be the MS in question: the MS-06FZ.

As we have discussed in other threads, it seems that the MS-06FZ was designed with a focus on colony defense and/or combat in asteroids. This is due to its overall high performance, but ridiculously low propellant capacity which would limit its operational time in open space.

Given such circumstances, the shorter range/faster firing MMP-80 might be the better choice for fighting inside colonies, while the slower firing longer range MMP-78 might be more suitable for attacking enemies approaching the surface on an asteroid or space colony.

That being said, there might be a couple of better options for short range combat, such as the M-120C with heat bayonet of the MS-06S (as per MSV-R) or the short MMP-80 bureau used by Angelo's AMS-129 during the battle of Palau (I supposed the M-120AS from the MS-06D would be a rough equivalent).