The Official Gundam Thunderbolt Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
False Prophet

Re: The Official Gundam Thunderbolt Mecha Thread Mk I

Dark Duel wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:51 pm
Gelgoog Jager wrote:-The pilot from the first Elmeth unit, which is said to have lost control and destroyed itself with its own bits.
LOL what? Never heard that one before. The only Elmeth I'd known about prior to reading the novels(which I just finished a couple of nights ago) was the one Lalah piloted.
Wait, where did you find the novel anyway?

While w'e're at it, which earlier MA of Zeon does the Elmeth take design inspiration upon? I mean, every Zeon MA has that smooth oblong shape.

Also, do you think that we'll see a new MAM-04 (the Bigro's predecessor) in Gundam Origin?
Gelgoog Jager

Well, looking at the overall design, I'm inclined to say that the shape was inspired by the Zakrello:

Remove the claws & missile launchers, close the mouth, replace the eyes with a mono eye, and you end up with something similar. In particular the thrusters hint at this: both the Elmeth and Zakrello have two sets of protruded thrusters beneath the main body, almost like legs.

The green color and more stylish exterior likely follow the trend of the Bigro and Big Zam though.

By the way, did you meant MA-04X instead of MAM-04 (whose model number would indicate it to be a marine MA like the MAM-07 Grublo)?

In The Origin manga, the Zakrello was mass produced and many participate in the defense of Solomon, while the Bigro only briefly appears as a single prototype at A Baoa Qu and ultimately never participates in combat.
False Prophet

Gelgoog Jager wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:57 pm By the way, did you meant MA-04X instead of MAM-04 (whose model number would indicate it to be a marine MA like the MAM-07 Grublo)?
Yeah, you're right, I typed it wrong. An MA-04X that is (Zeon gives consequence number to all mobile armor, regardless whether it is a space-use, a marine-use, or a Newtype-use, correct?)

Also, why didn't the Apsalus get a number designation? Because it is a prototype, or because it is not a "sanctioned" design?
Gelgoog Jager

MA model designations have each their own numbering:

MA:

MA-04X
MA-05
MA-06
MA-08
MA-09

MAM-07

MAN-00X-2
MAN-03
MAN-05
MAN-08

MAX-03

The Braw Bro and Adzam share the same number, and so does the Bigro & Gromlin as well as the Big Zam and Elmeth. On second though, it would seem that it's just the MAN series the one that overlaps with the rest: perhaps every non-newtype MA did follow a single numerical sequence.

IIRC, a while ago someone posted that in a card game the Apasalus was given the model number MAX-10. I don't know if there has ever been mentioned a model number for the Rhinoceros MA.