The Official Macross Delta Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Seto Kaiba

Re: The Official Macross Delta Mecha Thread Mk I

Areku wrote:I see. That's about when I'd expect them to start the TSU, as it's a countermeasure against the Var that we now know couldn't have been a problem before the end of Frontier.
Not necessarily... Macross Delta Gaiden: Macross E presents Var syndrome as something that wasn't completely unfamiliar, but didn't have a known countermeasure when the first Tactical Sound Unit was formed in 2062. It may not have been a galaxy-wide pandemic before that, but we know from the last few episodes that the apples that cause the syndrome were commercially available in the galaxy for decades.

Areku wrote:It occurs to me that the more relevant question for me to ask is: What do we about the Epsilon Foundation and their activities? I'm particularly concerned with their activities through the past decade, especially in the year between the end of Frontier and the Windermerian war of independence. Also, do we know of any involvement between their companies and either SMS or Kaos (beyond what Ep.19 mentions)?
Apart from an apparent hint that they may either be working with, or cribbing the notes of, the Critical Path Corporation from Macross VF-X2, we've had pretty much nothing about their backstory so far beyond that they've worked with Roid and company to restore the Sigur Valens and enhance the song shrine's abilities and provided the Draken III fighters the Aerial Knights use.

(The hint is a blink-and-you'll-miss-it thing, one of the technicians working to repair Heinz's song shrine mentions one of its components is a Zauberflote system... a fold quartz-based fold wave communication and amplification system that was developed by Critical Path and used as the basis for the Sound Jamming System that gave the VF-X Ravens a LOT of grief by disabling missile guidance across whole battlefields.)

It seems highly probable that Windermere and the Epsilon Foundation had a pre-established working relationship when the War of Independence started... otherwise Windermere would never have had the resources to give the NUNS a hard time. The previous Windermerean main fighter, the Sv-154 Svard, is likely one of theirs as well.

yazi88 wrote:So I guess this newest ep kind of told us that the Draken's engineers/designers were leftovers from the re-unification war's SV-51? That might explain the model number then, unless I read that the wrong way.
Sort of. You might say it's more a spiritual connection than a direct and literal one, given that the Sv-51's developers would be easily pushing 80 at the time the Draken III was completed.

The Anti-Unification Alliance formally dissolved in 2008 at the end of the Unification Wars, and its former constituency was wiped out in the explosive conclusion to the First Space War. Some of the development engineers who'd worked for the alliance on the sly were able to quietly reintegrate themselves into the pro-UN Government manufacturers and survive, nurturing resentment against the UN (and later New UN) Government. Those malcontents, and various other unscrupulous individuals, sometimes collaborated with (or defected to join) the anti-government groups that made a stand against the (New) UN Forces, helping develop new variable fighters for those rebel groups.

You could say it's that "school" of designers that supported the development of the Sv-262 Draken III and in so doing made it a nominal successor to the original Sv-51 and Sv-52. It seems like the Sv designation may no longer refer to Sukhoi as a manufacturer, but rather any anti-government faction's VF design.

Curiously, until now the distinctive hallmark of their design process was capturing the latest UN Forces fighter, reverse engineering it, and using its technology as the basis for a new VF with greater proportions of Zentradi overtechnology. One has to wonder if that's actually changed... other than the visual aesthetic. Their Variable Glaug was based off of a stolen VF-4 Lightning III and the resulting aircraft was a 3rd Generation-equivalent. The Feios Valkyrie was based off a stolen VF-11 Thunderbolt III, and was a 4th Generation-equivalent. Given its proportions and GERWALK-mode shape, I have this nagging suspicion the Draken III is based off a captured Nightmare Plus.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Seto Kaiba

Macross Delta Vol.2 BD liner notes have specs for the Sv-262 Draken III! In M3 form:

Equipment Type: Variable Fighter
Government: Windermere Kingdom
Manufacturer: General Galaxy Corporation SV Works
Accommodation: Pilot only
Dimensions:
  • Length: 17.54m (Sv-262Hs)
  • Wingspan: 13.00m (Sv-262Hs)
  • Height: 5.74m (Fighter), 15.78m (Battroid)
Mass: 9,810kg
ISC Max G-Load: 30.8G
Power Plant: Two P&W/RR/LAI FF-2999/FC2 Stage IIG thermonuclear reaction turbine engine
Propulsion: 2x 1,955kN (Hs type can increase output nearly 30% using reheat system)
Thrust-to-weight ratio: 40.642 (unboosted)
Performance: Mach 5.8+ at 10,000m (capable of independent flight to satellite orbit)
Design Features: 3-mode variable transformation, ISC/T021G inertia store converter, SWGA energy conversion armor, pinpoint barrier system, active stealth system, chaff/flare/smoke discharger, bulletproof shield.
Armament:
  • 2x Ramington LM-27C 27mm railgun pod (right forearm)
  • 1x General Galaxy GBP-35A beam gun pod
  • 4x Micro-Missile Pod (detachable)
  • 2x Lilldraken (armament options available)
  • 2x Laser machine gun (Hs type only)
Armament: (Lilldraken)
  • 1x 30mm beam cannon
  • 4x Micro-Missile Launcher
Armament: (Lilldraken, Alternate)
  • 1x Jamming System
In this day in age, Sv apparently doesn't stand for Sukhoi Variable anymore... it's "Slayer Valkyrie".
The Macross Mecha Manual
Red Zaku

http://s12.postimg.org/d4vyyziwt/SV_154_2.png

http://s16.postimg.org/segwortqt/SV_154.png

About the only screen grabs I could get of the SV-154 Svard, but god is it ugly.
"I'M THE CRIMSON LIGHTNING DAMNIT!" - Johnny Ridden
Dark Duel

Better-looking than the Draken III, anyway. At least in my opinion. But maybe it's because the way it looks, it reminds me of some of the very earliest generations of jet fighter aircraft, like the Shooting Star.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Seto Kaiba

Red Zaku wrote:http://s12.postimg.org/d4vyyziwt/SV_154_2.png

About the only screen grabs I could get of the SV-154 Svard, but god is it ugly.
The Windermere Kingdom's General Galaxy Sv-154 Svard is another one of those designs Kawamori did ages ago and just reused for a new series... like the VF-9, VA-3, etc.

Specifically, it's a reuse of the Fanelian LV-7 Valorious Rapier "Excalibur" from Kawamori's Air Cavalry Chronicles design series. By an amusing coincidence "Air Cavalry" and "Aerial Knights" are spelled almost identically in Japanese.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Chris
Administrator

I suspected he'd done that given the planes and fantasy aesthetics in both titles...
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
yazi88

That's not really surprising given that Kawamori likes to reuse design elements, like for example, the heads of the valkryies in Macross Frontier were based off the heads of the Aquarion units from Aquarion, same thing with Delta's mechs using design elements from Aquarion EVOL and Logos.
Red Zaku

Was it just me or was Mirage sitting in Miriya's VF-X-11? And if so that makes no sense, Mirage wasn't even born yet when Max and Miriya were part of the test pilot team that evaluated the VF-X-11.
"I'M THE CRIMSON LIGHTNING DAMNIT!" - Johnny Ridden
yazi88

Red Zaku wrote:Was it just me or was Mirage sitting in Miriya's VF-X-11? And if so that makes no sense, Mirage wasn't even born yet when Max and Miriya were part of the test pilot team that evaluated the VF-X-11.
Given that Millia kept older planes during Macross 7, like her VF-1J, she probably kept her VF-X-11 too.

Or it could be a modern replica, like the VF-1EX that Mirage used that was painted in Milia's colors.
hitokirigarou

Red Zaku wrote:Was it just me or was Mirage sitting in Miriya's VF-X-11?
That's the VF-9 Cutlass. There's another one (Max's) in the hangar.
Seto Kaiba

Red Zaku wrote:Was it just me or was Mirage sitting in Miriya's VF-X-11? And if so that makes no sense, Mirage wasn't even born yet when Max and Miriya were part of the test pilot team that evaluated the VF-X-11.
Presumably her VF-9A Cutlass from the early years of the UN Spacy Dancing Skulls special forces team (depicted in Macross M3).
The Macross Mecha Manual
Wingnut

Yep. From left to right: VF-9 (Millia), VF-1 (type unknown), VF-9 (Max)
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Red Zaku wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm http://s12.postimg.org/d4vyyziwt/SV_154_2.png

I completely and totally disagree with you. :D
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion