The Official Macross Delta Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Seto Kaiba

Re: The Official Macross Delta Mecha Thread Mk I

Henyo wrote:The Vajras i'd assume. they did become friendly with humanity once free from Grace's manipulations. they could have given the Frontier fleet lots of Fold Quartz. (or borrowed them Mister Krabs style.)

Henyo wrote:also, my supplier pointed the VF's similarities to this guy.
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Space_Case_(G2)

also to the Ixion plane from Raiden Fighters Jet
If it is what that guy on Twitter thinks it is, then it's probably based on this guy here, the same design from VF-Experiment that was also the starting point for the YF-29.

(You can even find a YF-29 in Schneegans colors in the VF-25 Master File.)

Kawamori's a big, BIG fan of recycling his own unused designs like that... there are loads of VF designs in Macross that were drawn for non-Macross projects and then not used, only to later be adopted into one Macross title or another, sometimes a decade or more after their completion. The VF-9 Cutlass, VA-3 Invader, and Varauta VFs are all examples of this.
Last edited by Seto Kaiba on Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
Arbiter GUNDAM

I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Henyo

it does. there's not much stuff on the lower back of the battroid. the "folded" parts of the YF-30 can be seen more when in side view.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
MrMarch

Yeah, that's really looking like the YF-30 Chronos. Same overall structure, especially the silhouette of the torso and those destinctive back mounted wings.
Arbiter GUNDAM

--Freyja Wion
Arbiter GUNDAM

It seems like the VF-31 has an integrated gunpod in its right forearm?

Also, those Regulds in the trailer seem to only have one chin gun?

--Freyja Wion
hitokirigarou

Siegfried is the dragon-slayer hero in the epic poem, The Song of the Nibelungs.

Draken is Swedish for dragon.
Arbiter GUNDAM

hitokirigarou wrote:Siegfried is the dragon-slayer hero in the epic poem, The Song of the Nibelungs.

Draken is Swedish for dragon.
Probably not a coincidence. :)

Also, I notice the VF-31 has very visible missile ports on its legs that the VF-25, 27 and YF-30 didn't have.

--Freyja Wion
hitokirigarou

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:It seems like the VF-31 has an integrated gunpod in its right forearm
Both forearms: http://oi65.tinypic.com/6q8g0j.jpg

I just noticed that the blue Draken is the commander type. It has different wings from the green/grunt Drakens.
Arbiter GUNDAM

--Freyja Wion
Seto Kaiba

I'm vexed by the back end of the VF-31 GERWALK... it looks like it might still have the ordinance loading container system from the YF-30 Chronos it was based on, but it's not shown deployed.

It's clearly not, as previously suspected, an antiprojectile shield.

Very interested in this integrated gun pod concept it's got going on.
The Macross Mecha Manual
hitokirigarou

Seto Kaiba wrote:it looks like it might still have the ordinance loading container system from the YF-30 Chronos it was based on, but it's not shown deployed.
The trailer shows it deployed but its details are obscured by the sun's glare.
Henyo

wonder what the VF-31's hand held weapon will be. you know since it has gunpods on both arms.
Beam gatling perhaps? or maybe, as a reference to Orguss, a gun that fires missiles.
but..both would be redundant huh? 8)
Seto Kaiba

hitokirigarou wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:it looks like it might still have the ordinance loading container system from the YF-30 Chronos it was based on, but it's not shown deployed.
The trailer shows it deployed but its details are obscured by the sun's glare.
Here's hoping we get some of the promised-but-not-delivered options for the ordinance container system in Macross Delta. All Macross 30: Voices Across the Galaxy gave us was their default micro-missile container (capacious though it is)... we didn't get to see the container used with the beam cannon or reconnaissance equipment options.

Henyo wrote:wonder what the VF-31's hand held weapon will be. you know since it has gunpods on both arms.
Beam gatling perhaps? or maybe, as a reference to Orguss, a gun that fires missiles.
but..both would be redundant huh? 8)
Since the VF-31 Siegfried has integrated guns into the arms, I'm inclined to suspect that it might not actually carry a gun pod as standard. The VF-4 also had integrated guns in its arms, and it's usually deployed without a separate gun pod system.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Henyo

Seto Kaiba wrote: Since the VF-31 Siegfried has integrated guns into the arms, I'm inclined to suspect that it might not actually carry a gun pod as standard. The VF-4 also had integrated guns in its arms, and it's usually deployed without a separate gun pod system.
another possibility would be close ranged weapons. full length swords this time. not like the puny knife of the VF-25. i think it'd fit in with the knight motif that the pilots have going on.

SLICING While in Fighter mode! definitely something I'd like to see.

a side question: were there earlier VFs with actual close range weapons? or is the VF-25 the first model to have one?
Seto Kaiba

Henyo wrote:another possibility would be close ranged weapons. full length swords this time. not like the puny knife of the VF-25. i think it'd fit in with the knight motif that the pilots have going on.
Can't imagine where they'd keep something like that... though it wouldn't be the first time our boy Shoji Kawamori put longswords on giant robots. He's got a history of doing that that goes back to Air Cavalry Chronicles, an offshoot of Advanced Valkyrie that ended up becoming two different 90's mecha anime... Macross 7 and The Vision of Escaflowne.

Somehow, the Draken III seems like a better candidate for a humongous sword tho... as that VF's operated by a group that styles itself as a knightly order. It wouldn't be entirely surprising if they gave the Draken III a sword with a built-in converging beam cannon the way he did with Caesar's war armor Quo Vadis in Nobunaga the Fool.

Henyo wrote:a side question: were there earlier VFs with actual close range weapons? or is the VF-25 the first model to have one?
Concepts for a VF with a close-combat sword go back to the aforementioned 1990 design series Air Cavalry Chronicles, with two of the Kingdom of Fanelia's mecha.

We didn't see a canon VF design with a dedicated close-combat weapon until Macross Plus's VF-11B Super Thunderbolt and its folding anti-armor bayonet. After that, pin-point barriers were the standard for close quarters combat until the 5th Generation VFs in Macross Frontier and related titles (Macross the Ride, Macross 30, probably Macross Delta) that had close combat blades equipped either as removable knives or fixed blades mounted in the shield.

Variable Fighter Master File's write-up of the postwar D-variant GU-11 gun pod (which you may know better as the gun pod in the VF-3000's line art) indicates that variant had the ability to mount a detachable bayonet... which may have given the early postwar Valkyries like the VF-1's Valkyrie Plus type, the VF-3000, and possibly VF-4 access to a close combat blade.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Henyo

Gunblade. better yet, Anti ship swords. yeah. I'll take that!

as for where the where swords can be mounted in Fighter mode..i'd like to say the Sword Grasper..but that fighter doesn't exactly have a standard wing design. or rather, it's wings are designed to mount the Strike Pack Parts. an extra manipulator arm? no that wouldn't fly moi thinks..
hitokirigarou

Looking more closely at the battroid mode VF-31 toy, I noticed that when the ordnance container isn't deployed, it's positioned in a way that makes it look like a tail.
Seto Kaiba

hitokirigarou wrote:Looking more closely at the battroid mode VF-31 toy, I noticed that when the ordnance container isn't deployed, it's positioned in a way that makes it look like a tail.
That's... odd. It's modeled on the YF-30, so the ordinance container should hang down around the battroid's upper back like the Tornado Pack's beam cannon.

Incidentally, after a frame-by-frame through the trailer it appears that the VF-31 Siegfried might indeed have gone the beam cannon route for its ordinance container. When it transforms in that action sequence it looks like the ordinance container has split into two gun-like objects.
The Macross Mecha Manual