Macross armament questions

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
hitokirigarou

Macross armament questions

Found these weapons from the VF-19 and VF-22 VF Master Files. Can anyone well-versed in Macross describe the following:
HMM-111CS
SPP-8
LPP-12
ALP-125

What is the difference between the AGM-118 and the AGM-122?

What is the difference between the weapon pallet and the weapon container of the VF-22?
MrMarch

Re: Macross armament questions

Translated information on these weapons is still scarce. I only have a few notes, but I'll post the info I have so far.

HMM-111CS are long range missiles
SPP-8 a self-propelled mass-driver weapon system
LLP-12 is a type of beam weapon

I'll try to grab some more information for you.
Seto Kaiba

I haven't really dug into Variable Fighter Master File: VF-22 Sturmvogel II in depth yet (it's not been a priority for me or Mr March due to it being rather light on trivia), but here's the brief version from what I've got out of the VF-19 Master File... I'll try to tackle the VF-22 items in the evening.

hitokirigarou wrote:Found these weapons from the VF-19 and VF-22 VF Master Files. Can anyone well-versed in Macross describe the following:
HMM-111CS
That's the "new" high-maneuver missile first seen/mentioned in Macross Plus (and first shown in use by the target drones simulating attacks on the YF-21. There's not really a lot said about it... mostly that it's basically a replacement for the AMM-1 Arrow family of multipurpose missiles, and that the CS variant means it's a "cruise + stealth" missile (literally how it's written) in the medium-to-long range category.

hitokirigarou wrote:SPP-8
This is a fun one... basically a funnel missile, when you think about it.

The SPP-8 propelled mass driver pod is a missile (of sorts) that, instead of a warhead, basically has a tiny, 8-barrel railgun instead of an explosive warhead. It maneuvers in close like a more conventional missile, then unloads a shotgun-like blast of high-velocity projectiles to destroy its target. It's got 100 armor-piercing projectiles stored in its body.

hitokirigarou wrote:LPP-12
Same story as above, but with a twist... this time, instead of a mass driver, it's got a high-output laser cannon! Its full name is the LPP-12 propelled laser pod.

hitokirigarou wrote:ALP-125

What is the difference between the AGM-118 and the AGM-122?
I'll come back to these.

hitokirigarou wrote:What is the difference between the weapon pallet and the weapon container of the VF-22?
Not sure what you mean here?
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
hitokirigarou

Thanks for the replies.
Seto Kaiba wrote:Not sure what you mean here?
I found the terms on page 87 of the VF master file.
Seto Kaiba

hitokirigarou wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:Not sure what you mean here?
I found the terms on page 87 of the VF master file.
Ah, yeah... I see what you mean.

Returning to where I left off... from a quick once-over of the Variable Fighter Master File: VF-22 Sturmvogel II's weapons section, the ALP-125 Laser Piercing Pod appears to be a bigger, nastier version of the LPP-12 intended for anti-warship use.

("Bigger, nastier, for use against ships" seems to be a bit of a recurring theme here with the new weapons.)

The difference between the AGM-118 and AGM-122 cruise missiles appears to be in guidance systems (with the former using the same FLASH-LADAR technology used in the military grade optical sensors on the VF-19 and VF-22) and a larger warhead on the latter... which, again, looks to be designed for anti-warship use.

hitokirigarou wrote:What is the difference between the weapon pallet and the weapon container of the VF-22?
Lookin' at it, it seems like the Master File take on the VF-22 is presenting the internal gun pod storage first seen in Macross 7 as an optional (and removable) ordinance container for the GV-17L so it can be stored internally instead of hanging on the underside of the airframe for improved stealthiness.

If stealth is not essential, they can just mount the gunpods directly to the fuselage or use those spaces for extra pylons. (This is almost certainly a nod to the F-22 Raptor, which has a similar armament-stealth tradeoff.)
The Macross Mecha Manual
hitokirigarou

Thanks again!

Oh, I missed the ASM-91 from the VF-22 master file. I'm assuming it's based on the HMM-111CS and is intended for anti-warship use?
Seto Kaiba

hitokirigarou wrote:Thanks again!

Oh, I missed the ASM-91 from the VF-22 master file. I'm assuming it's based on the HMM-111CS and is intended for anti-warship use?
Pretty much... the title kind of says it all: "ASM-91 Stealth Anti-Ship Missile".
The Macross Mecha Manual