The Official Gundam The Origin Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Deacon Blues

Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Mecha Thread Mk I

There's also a red band for whatever reason on Revil's ship...
toysdream

The profile text says it has special painting to distinguish it from other Magellans. I guess they figure it worked for Neil Armstrong's spacesuit...

-- Mark
BrentD15

toysdream wrote:The profile text says it has special painting to distinguish it from other Magellans. I guess they figure it worked for Neil Armstrong's spacesuit...

-- Mark
As if that antenna wasn't enough. :P
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
nickh46

To be fair, and I'm putting that term loosely, this were the "first" (as in timeline) iterations of the warships we see. Every Naval vessel or aircraft is designed to be a little bit more improved from the previous model (an old aviator joke, "Never fly the A model of anything!").

As far as the manga goes, I don't think Yas had the "hey, let me draw a Magellan with two turrets bigger then the others!" when he did the manga. So mech designers probably and deliberately made this different because (as artists who have to take food home to their families) they are always bound to make a "new" product that has differential advantage, it can't simply be a copy cat of a previous model, otherwise it has no value. So I understand it from their point of view.

So maybe it's little weird in this early 0079 era. Okay. Roger that. If it's "improved" into the models we know and love by the time the Side 7 era starts, hey, it all converges together, the Mech Designers keep their families fed. Everyone's happy.

Knowing these, I'm really eager to see what they'll do with the Chivvays (Chibes, or whatever they call it now) and the Salamis. I already posted something about the different Chivvay models previously, so maybe we'll see both twin and triple turreted versions. Or the Salamis. I wonder how many people's jaws will drop if they start cranking out Salamis Kai (with launch pads and all) for the Solomon campaign!
Erisie

balofo wrote:Yep, we see a Musai launching from the Origin Dolos
Holy moly, it's true!
nickh46 wrote:I wonder how many people's jaws will drop if they start cranking out Salamis Kai (with launch pads and all) for the Solomon campaign!
They are keeping things pretty faithful to the manga. Thus, we won't see any upgraded Salamis. What we will see, however, are the other Pegasus-class during A Baoa Qu.
Deacon Blues wrote:Man, we've got some kick ass updates to the Magellan and Musai on the Gundam the Origin website! I'm digging these new designs!
I'll add more later
Please do. I'm working on some Burke-style profiles for the OVA's units: I've got Guntank, Salamis, Magellan, Saberfish and Musai done. Hopefully Chris will use them.
toysdream

Just to follow up on the new specs for the Salamis and Magellan: I threw these into one of my existing comparison graphics, and it turns out that they're pretty reasonable considering the changes in the designs.

http://www.ultimatemark.com/gundam/imag ... rison3.jpg

The Salamis is actually proportionally smaller than the classic version. If anything, it seems to be scaled based on a classic-version length of 212 meters (as per MS Igloo) rather than 228 meters (as per most other recent sources). I've placed it next to a scaled-down 212-meter classic Salamis, and you can see it's about the same size, but with a really extended engine section.

As for the Origin version of the Magellan, it's likewise about the same size as the classic version, but with a longer engine section that accounts for the extra 20 meters of length. So overall, I'd say these specs reinforce the previous ones - in particular the MS Igloo specs - while establishing the Origin designs as discrete new variants.

-- Mark
Deacon Blues

Aw no fair... Mark has BW lineart from the Origin!

Just out of curiosity, Mark... what are your thoughts on the depictions of the ships as seen in Gundam Thunderbolt? The artist has some pretty jawdropping renditions in it and I think he's one of the few that actually draws a lot of stuff to scale. Especially when it comes to a mobile suit being near a thruster:

http://www.zeonic-republic.net/wp-conte ... 26-127.jpg
http://www.zeonic-republic.net/wp-conte ... age128.jpg
balofo

Updates! They are going all out with ship variations, also Char's Zaku II with anti ship sniper rifle(didn't happen in the manga, did it?)

http://www.gundam.info/topic/12346
Deathzealot

What the heck? That isn't a Salamis?? Hmmmm... Lepanto Class Missile Frigate? Interesting. Looks like it has role similar to the CE Drake Class.
toysdream

It's the hitherto-mysterious missile frigate mentioned in EB 39 and the comic version of The Origin (where it was represented in the Zeon tactical displays with a Public's silhouette). Now how about that giant Columbus, huh?

-- Mark
Deathzealot

Yeah Mark wasn't the Lepanto mentioned in the Novels? I don't have my copy with me right now but i seem to remember some sort of Frigate mentioned in some of the battle scenes.
balofo

Found this, it calls the left the early type chest and the right the late type chest.

http://i.imgur.com/lU67JRO.jpg

Anyone have this Gundam Ace edition? I'm interested in what the chest weapons are called, also what are the other boxes with arrows represent(laser torch/verniers)?
nickh46

Nice update! While the poor English version sits off in the corner, all alone and un-updated. :(

The translation infers that different variants of vessels exist. Here's to hoping there will be more variants during the Solomon/A Baoa Qu era.
Deathzealot

And we may actually get to see a true Vinson Plan Refit Ships Animated. Instead of the IGLOO Salamis Refits.
toysdream

nickh46 wrote:Nice update! While the poor English version sits off in the corner, all alone and un-updated. :(
They just updated the English site. It's lagging the Japanese version by one update cycle, though.

As for the missile frigates, these weren't mentioned in the novels. As I noted above, the main precedents are EB 39 (which had a category in its Battle of Loum table for "missile frigates", such as the "L144 minesweeper"), and the Origin manga (which listed missile frigates in the Zeon side's display of the Federation fleet, representing them with Public silhouettes). The actual name and design used in the Origin anime are completely new as far as I recall.

-- Mark
Deacon Blues

At least the giant Colombus-class sorta fall in line with the Thunderbolt renditions. Haha
toysdream

Nah, the carrier in Thunderbolt is made from two extended Columbus-class ships stacked on top of each other. The actual cargo compartments are the same size as First Gundam and 0083 indicated - a single level about 1.5 times the height of a GM, close to the 25 meters indicated by previous sources.

The Columbus-based carrier in The Origin, on the other hand, has two levels and thus seems to be twice as big in every dimension. In other words, they doubled the size of the standard Columbus to make it as big as the composite carrier in Thunderbolt. Behold:

http://www.ultimatemark.com/gundam/imag ... rison4.jpg

As for the Magellan in Thunderbolt, this seems consistent with 0083, where the model sheets indicate that each engine block is about as high as a mobile suit.

-- Mark
Deathzealot

Hmmm... A question Mark. What do you think those eight strange looking pods on the Lepanto are? Some sort torpedo launchers? Missile Launchers?
toysdream

According to the profile text, the Lepanto's armament includes one mega particle cannon, forward missile launchers (in the bow), VLS launchers (on top of the hull), and missile pods and missile launchers (on the sides). So yep, pretty much all missiles of one sort or another.

-- Mark
CloudFF7

Nice seeing the 3-tube missile pods, on the Zaku's shoulder shield instead of the legs. Few other works like Gundam Unicorn(Geara Zulu) and Gundam Build Fighters(Zaku Tank) have shown this configuration. Upon closer inspection I noticed that at least one of the Black Tri-Stars High Mobility Zaku's uses this setup, since they cant mount them on their bulky legs, this allows the High Mobilty Zaku's to use them.