The Official Gundam The Origin Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
toysdream

Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Mecha Thread Mk I

Kind of kooky. This indicates that Zimmad started out developing two lines of mobile suits based on licensed Zeonic designs - space types based on the Zaku (i.e. the MS-06RD-4) and ground types based on the Gouf (i.e. the MS-07C-5). These two lines were developed in parallel - thus there are two versions of the YMS-08B, a ground type with a Gouf chest and a space type with a Zaku chest. The ground type turns into the Prototype Dom and standard Dom, and finally they roll the space features into the Rick Dom.

I don't see how this really makes more sense than just developing the Dom as a pure ground type, and then adapting it for space. But I guess we have a while to ponder the idea.

-- Mark
Wingnut

toysdream wrote:I don't see how this really makes more sense than just developing the Dom as a pure ground type, and then adapting it for space. But I guess we have a while to ponder the idea.

-- Mark
Sounds like someone is trying to reinvent the wheel just to see if they can do it.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
JEFFPIATT

Wingnut wrote:
toysdream wrote:I don't see how this really makes more sense than just developing the Dom as a pure ground type, and then adapting it for space. But I guess we have a while to ponder the idea.

-- Mark
Sounds like someone is trying to reinvent the wheel just to see if they can do it.
ironically the old 0079 backstory for the rick dom still works when zeon was facing the fight returning to space there limited industrial capability may have been fully switched over to the production of the MS-09 Dom during world war II the us miltary had many different companies putting out production of units designed by other companies the jeep for example as quoted by the Wikipedia article.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep wrote:Since the War Department required a large number of vehicles to be manufactured in a relatively short time, Willys-Overland granted the United States Government a non-exclusive license to allow another company to manufacture vehicles using Willys' specifications. The Army chose Ford as the second supplier, building Jeeps to the Willys' design. Willys supplied Ford with a complete set of plans and specifications. American Bantam, the creators of the first Jeep, built approximately 2700 of them to the BRC-40 design, but then spent the rest of the war building heavy-duty trailers for the Army.
the same concept could be applied to the Zaku and Dom lines where after formal adoption zeonic allowed the government to give Zimmid the zaku blueprints to produce them under licence and when the dom came out and was adopted zeonic retooled there plants to build doms. after earth was known to be lost zeon basically requested that the dom frame be quickly retrofitted in to an space use suit to save costs until an true space use suit was ready. the new origan back story works in elements of the real life predecessor of the jeep the Bantam Reconnaissance Car see this wiki quote
The Army felt that the Bantam company was too small to supply the number of vehicles it needed, so it supplied the Bantam design to Willys and Ford, who were encouraged to make their own changes and modifications. The resulting Ford "Pygmy" and Willys "Quad" prototypes looked very similar to the Bantam BRC prototype, and Spicer supplied very similar four-wheel drivetrain components to all three manufacturers.

Fifteen hundred of each of the three models (Bantam BRC-40, Ford GP, and Willys MA) were built and extensively field-tested. Delmar "Barney" Roos, Willys-Overland's chief engineer, made design changes to meet a revised weight specification (a maximum of 1,275 lb (578 kg), including oil and water). He was thus able to use the powerful but comparatively heavy Willys "Go Devil" engine, and win the initial production contract. The Willys version of the car would become the standardized Jeep design, designated the model MB and was built at their plant in Toledo, Ohio. The familiar pressed-metal Jeep grille was actually a Ford design feature and incorporated in the final design by the Army
the mixed prototype tree is an result of the internal engineering teams at both companies taking each others ms and enhancing them to test new ms model concepts the later ump and the galabaty projects aimed to force more compatibility and fully merge the tech trees the UMP took existing models and retrofitted them in to an standard platform while the Galabaty was Zeon forcing both companies to design one unified model useing the best features from the Zeonic and Zimmad concepts for an multi-use MS Zeonic tended to aim for one frame modifiable for many deployment zones and combat roles while zimmad leaned to specialized for one use units the Dom series being an heavy support unit and the gyan being an close combat only suit with no real mid range use beyond an mine layer in the shield.
Gelgoog Jager

Is there confirmation on the name of the YMS-03?

The translation from the official site seems to be "Vaff" or something like that, which is echoed for the HG kit in at least one site:

http://www.gundam-the-origin.net/mechanical/0301.html
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail ... 6&page=top

I did also find another site using "Wafel":

http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/201 ... -info.html

Anyway, here's the google translation of the YMS-03's profile on the official site:

Will invest a huge budget and development period, but the development plan of serving as main weapons of war of independence humanoid mobile weapons = mobile suit was in progress, in the Universal Century 0077 years, Mobile worker 01 Formula last season is a prototype testing machine miniaturization of power for fusion reactor was the largest concern was stomach to not be realized in the mold. As a result, the mobile suit development plan by Gillen Zabi with the highest authority of weapons development to face the discontinuation of the crisis. And to break such a situation, that was dictated the continuation of the mobile suit development plan, it was the presence of a prototype YMS-03 Vu~affu proposed by Torenofu · Y · Minofusuki Dr. YMS-03 Vu~affu, by employing the technique using Minofusuki particles, achieve improvements in driving performance by applying the compact fluid pulse system power for fusion reactors. As a result, won the freely maneuverability in space, was presented the possibility of as mobile weapons to surpass the ship and guided weapons for space combat. In addition, the arms attachment exchange function that has been adopted in Mobile worker 01 Formula Late later also inherited. Such as some of the armed mounting experiments were also performed. For YMS-03 Vu~affu to be the founder existence of facts on the mobile suit, although a few are produced as a prototype, then, to the side dishes the time, has been carried out more development of combat successor aircraft, weapons as it was never formality adopted. It has become a fuselage name "Vu~affu" is pointing to the "weapon = armor".
toysdream

That's just nonsensical word salad. My translation should be up on the official site shortly - I just sent it in. They haven't decided on the name spelling yet, but I suggested "Waff" since it's very close to the kana for "Waffe" (German for "weapon").

-- Mark
Gelgoog Jager

YMS-08 Dom Demonstrator / Dom Test Type with beam bazooka and beam saber(?):

http://na.gundam.info/topics/white/8261 ... t=&bigcat=

Since it seems to be storing the "beam saber" in some of the pics, I want to assume that someone simply messed up the translation for heat saber.

Otherwise, I guess we could once again consider the possibility of Ramba Ral's Gouf actual using a beam sword instead of a heat sword made with memory metal.
JEFFPIATT

Gelgoog Jager wrote:YMS-08 Dom Demonstrator / Dom Test Type with beam bazooka and beam saber(?):

http://na.gundam.info/topics/white/8261 ... t=&bigcat=

Since it seems to be storing the "beam saber" in some of the pics, I want to assume that someone simply messed up the translation for heat saber.

Otherwise, I guess we could once again consider the possibility of Ramba Ral's Gouf actual using a beam sword instead of a heat sword made with memory metal.
i would agree since it also mentions it having an zaku torso when the model clearly has an gouf torso.
Gelgoog Jager

Actually that is not wrong: it has 2 chest options, a Zaku chest and a Gouf chest.

Look closely the pic with the YMS-08B standing on the ground while holding its beam bazooka, which shows the unit with a Zaku II chest.
toysdream

Yeah, "beam saber" is just a translation error. The Japanese version of that page says "heat saber".

http://www.gundam.info/topic/14811

-- Mark
Chris
Administrator

I'm a little confused by the on-page text saying Dom Demonstrator, but the box art saying Dom Test Type. So which is it supposed to be?
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
toysdream

Dom Test Type. (By the time it gets printed on the box, the spelling is generally frozen.) The translation on that English page has a couple of issues.

-- Mark
Gelgoog Jager

I'm not sure what to make of the YMS-08B having a beam bazooka: I sometimes feel that they keep bringing up that weapon to keep it relevant and/or perhaps even to make it seem like it was not such an uncommon weapon after all. Perhaps they are trying to turn it into something more along the lines of its CE counterpart, the GINN's heavy ion cannon, which was available even before ZAFT obtained the EA's beam technology.

Not to mention that it seems to remain in use even after the 1st Neo Zeon War, used by the AMX-009G from AOZ Reboot and the MS-06F units that appeared in Gundam Evolve 10. It's also frequently included with most toys and gunpla kits of the Rick Dom and in the Gundam novel Char's newtype unit consists of 6 or 7 Rick Doms equipped with beam bazookas (plus Cuzco Al's Elmeth) at first.
Gelgoog Jager

Sorry for the double post, but I've spotted a HGUC MS-06RD-4 which more clearly shows the differences between the 08th version and The Origin version:

http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000102810 ... 0102810%2F
Gelgoog Jager

My apologies for the now triple spot, but dalong.net has posted scans of the HGUC YMS-08B manual, which I hope some of our japanese-reading forum members will be kind enough to translate for the rest of us:

http://dalong.net/review/hg/ho07/ho07_i.htm
YokozunaBulldozer

I am really liking the RX-78-01 (N) Local Type Gundam especially the visor.
It seems to be the basis for Ground Type Gundam and Marine type Gundam aka Gundiver anyone know?
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
toysdream

I'd have to say that I'm feeling a bit lukewarm about the MSD series so far. The YMS-08B manual doesn't really explain all that much - it repeats the old MSV account of the YMS-08A, saying that it was a failed rival to the Gouf, which contradicts the development flowchart on the MSD website. And the YMS-08B itself is basically just a Franken, kitbashed together from bits and pieces of other mobile suits to try and make them seem related.

Which is kind of my impression of the RX-78-01(N). Simply sticking the Gundiver's limbs onto a Gundam Ground Type torso doesn't really convince me that both machines share a common ancestor. For a Katoki design, especially for a series which offers such an unprecedented opportunity to fill in the gaps in the UC development history, this is starting to feel kind of lazy and uncreative.

-- Mark
Gelgoog Jager

I agree with Mark: leaving aside the mess of the YMS-08A, the YMS-08B feels completely out of place.

-For instance, given that the Dom is a Zimmad design I don't understand why they couldn't use the torso of a Zudah or something entirely different for their Dom prototype. The Gogg certainly didn't need seem to need a Zaku inspired predecessor.

-The MS-06RD-4 was alright as a quick mashup unit simply for testing the new legs for the Rick Dom, which was essentially the biggest change between it and the Dom.

-The one thing I'm in favor is the early appearance of the beam bazooka, as an early attempt for providing their MS with beam weapons which could work in parallel to the development of the Gogg or Zakrello/Bigro, all of which use beam weapons powered by in-built generators.

-Then there's the Efreet which remains a mystery in the development chart, mainly because it's lack of leg jet thrusters make me think that it was developed around the same time as the YMS-07A and YMS-08A, and produced as originally designed without adding jet thrusters as in the case of the Gouf series. Gundam Side Stories has added to the confusion by adding leg verniers to most Efreet variants.
Chris
Administrator

Are we any closer to answering the biting question as to whether The Origin OVA is meant to be in the same continuity in as the rest of animated UC? If it isn't, then all these contradictions in MS development are relevant. If it is, then it would be far from the first time that newer productions have contradicted earlier ones.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
balofo

Chris wrote:Are we any closer to answering the biting question as to whether The Origin OVA is meant to be in the same continuity in as the rest of animated UC? If it isn't, then all these contradictions in MS development are relevant. If it is, then it would be far from the first time that newer productions have contradicted earlier ones.
Origin and Thunderbolt animes are meant to be part of the main UC timeline
Deacon Blues

balofo wrote:
Chris wrote:Are we any closer to answering the biting question as to whether The Origin OVA is meant to be in the same continuity in as the rest of animated UC? If it isn't, then all these contradictions in MS development are relevant. If it is, then it would be far from the first time that newer productions have contradicted earlier ones.
Origin and Thunderbolt animes are meant to be part of the main UC timeline
Balofo, you seriously need to get your stories straight. You're a terrible hypocrite when it comes to Gundam. You moaned and groaned up and down about how Thunderbolt was alternative UC and now you're suddenly pandering to the other side.