The Official Gundam The Origin Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Chris
Administrator

The Official Gundam The Origin Mecha Thread Mk I

There's an official site featuring mecha designs, so have at it with the official mecha thread for the Origin anime. Try not to drone on endlessly about how much you hate CG mobile suits and how Gundam is ruined.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
AmuroNT1

Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Mecha Thread Mk I

Chris wrote:Try not to drone on endlessly about how much you hate CG mobile suits and how Gundam is ruined.
Pfft, why even bother discussing things at that point? </sarc>
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Heaven Piercing Man

AmuroNT1 wrote:
Chris wrote:Try not to drone on endlessly about how much you hate CG mobile suits and how Gundam is ruined.
Pfft, why even bother discussing things at that point? </sarc>
Gundam Wiki needs a Ruined FOREVER page at this rate :mrgreen:
Ferrus_Manus

So, what is this Zeon "battle bus"? An Gundam equivalent of a real-world MRAP?
Iron in Mind. Iron in Body
ZGMF-X28A Nu-Liberty

And it appears the Origin Guntank has received something of a model number makeover - the official site designates it RTX-65. Perhaps it's meant to help the Origin anime fit in better with the general UC timeline?
"That's the problem with plutonium, Craven; it's limited in its application. It's not user-friendly. But as a vehicle for regaining one's self-respect; oh, it's got a lot going for it!"
- Darius Jedburgh, Edge of Darkness, Episode 6, Fusion
balofo

Why are we getting RG Zaku instead of the awesome Okawara redesign?
Xenosynth

Well, it's technically not the RG design, but yeah, it is overloaded with the panel lines. I can't tell if it has the wrist vulcans but it's also missing the chest gatling. I am a bit annoyed that they aren't using the manga designs. This Zaku is a unique design though (A lot of people assume the RG just because of the paneling being similar but there are differences, including the strange chest protrusions.)
toysdream

In the manga, Char's Zaku never had wrist vulcans, and it has two gatlings on top of its chest instead one in the middle - a feature which has been carried over to the anime version. I think some of the people complaining that they didn't use the manga design, perhaps don't know what Zakus actually look like in the manga. :-)

-- Mark
Xenosynth

Ahh, that's what those two top parts were! I actually have only read the volume 1 once through, but I always thought the chest gatling, appearing on the artwork, was more on the right and center. But that's because I was re-looking at the lineart for the standard Zaku II rather than Char's (From this site). So the design IS accurate to the Origin, just panel-lined up. Actually, does Char's Zaku II from the Origin have any lineart? My volume of The Origin is currently in storage from when I moved.

Edit: Not lineart, but rather a figure I was able to find. So yeah, it is the Origin's design.

For some reason I thought The Origin didn't really have varied Zakus, and I thought they all took the original lineart's images, derp @_@
toysdream

That chest design, and the wrist guns, aren't even used on standard Zakus in the comic - most of them have the same chest as Char's Zaku, with a gatling on one or both shoulders, and no wrist guns. (They do, however, all seem to have the backpack connector for the hyper rifle.)

It seems at this point that the Zakus that attack Side 7 are specialized types, maybe some kind of commando or anti-personnel custom, and they aren't representative of the standard version. I don't think they ever published line art of the other versions, but I know they've been doing detailed micro-analysis of the Origin mecha in Gundam Ace, and I expect that the anime version will reflect the results of that analysis.

-- Mark
Xenosynth

Ahh, okay, so the lineart for The Origin is only of the first Zakus in Side 7 we see, but all the other Zakus are more like Char's (Which have nonexistent lineart at the moment). I didn't actually realize that.

Kinda makes me sad though, I actually love wrist vulcans, and that was one of the things I liked about The Origin's Zakus. Though technically, from what we saw, they were only weaponized against personnel, so they probably aren't that useful in MS on MS combat. I have to wonder if they are weaker than the Gundam head vulcans.

I really need to read past volume 1.
Dark Duel

As I mentioned in a different thread, there are two distinct versions of the Zaku II in The Origin.

1. The one used by Char, which crops up every once in a while, which has two small triple-barreled machineguns on the upper torso to each side of the head, and two narrow vents about mid-torso to either side. From what I have seen, Char has so far ONLY used this version.

2. A second variant, which has has a single vulcan gun on the left side of the torso, about midway up; and two anti-infantry guns on each forearm. Off the top of my head, I don't think that one's been seen since Side 7, as Mark mentioned.
I'm not sure why two different variants; perhaps one is a newer model or a specialized variant - not sure.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
toysdream

In the Loum flashback chapters, it seems like only Char's Zaku has shoulder gatlings - all the others, including the R types used by the Black Tri-Stars, have no chest guns at all. Perhaps these gradually became more common later in the war - it seems like most of the standard Zakus have them by the time the Gundam shows up.

Since the version with the wrist guns, centrally-mounted chest gatling, and flat chest armor - the so-called "Origin version" - hasn't been seen since the start of the series, it seems very clear that Dark Duel's first type is the standard. As far as I recall, the last time we saw the second type was when Amuro shot down Slender's Zaku during his initial skirmish with Char. When Char was resupplied by the Papua at Luna II, they restocked him with standard Zakus, and barring some obscure cameo I don't think the wrist gun version has been seen since.

-- Mark
Deathzealot

Didn't the Zakus during the whole bit with the North America Sector Civilians rising up against the Zeon conquerers during Garma's section of the Manga have the Anti-Infantry Guns in the wrists or arms. For I seem to remember a scene like that where the Rebel Infantry got creamed by a Single Zaku.
toysdream

Aha, good spotting! Yes, at the end of the Garma chapter, we see a Zaku with the same configuration used at Side 7 using its wrist guns against enemy infantry. This Zaku also has the flat chest armor seen on the Side 7 Zakus.

Simultaneously, Amuro is fighting Char and his minions while the White Base lies in wait for Garma. One of Char's wingmen is a Side 7 type, which flat chest armor and wrist guns; the other is a standard type with shoulder gatlings.

So it seems like this version does continue to pop up every now and then. From the placement and usage of the wrist guns, it may well be an anti-personnel version.

-- Mark
Raikoh

Maybe I'm alone in this respect, but making Char's Zaku dark red instead of the iconic Salmon color just bugs me. Looks more like one of Johnny Ridden's machines than one of Char's. That bugs me more than the usage of CG, to be honest. I'll get over it, but it's just that I liked Char's color scheme from MSG.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
gunform1010

"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
toysdream

Ooh, yet another new size for the Salamis!

-- Mark
gunform1010

toysdream wrote:Ooh, yet another new size for the Salamis!

-- Mark
Goodness gracious you can't be serious... I hope there just subtypes of Salamis or something.
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
toysdream

Well, the proportions are really different from previous Salamis designs. At a glance, I think it's a lot longer in the butt (okay, "stern"). If you scaled it based on the bridge portion, I think it probably would be proportionally longer, and thus maybe consistent with the 228 meter length for the "normal" Salamis.

-- Mark