The Official Gundam The Origin Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
bilbros

Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Mecha Thread Mk I

As far as I can say, yes, the spacecraft you're refering to are the same model.

On a slightly unrelated note, my previous statement on a possible connection of that "new" Salamis variant with a ship from Ixtab turned out to be wrong (a memory fault!)...
Deathzealot

Ah. No worries. Had a couple of those earlier. Thanks for checking though. I don't remember seeing that ship anywhere during my reading of the Origin Manga. Then again I don't remember Lepanto Class from it either. I guess I need to go and check out the Manga again from my local library again.
False Prophet

Anyone here know the purpose of the bars on the shoulders of the Gundam Ground Type/Local Type?

Also, why did they change the Guncannon-style visor on the Prototype Gundam into the more familiar two-eye arrangement on the Gundam?
PowerdGNFlag

False Prophet wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:22 pm Anyone here know the purpose of the bars on the shoulders of the Gundam Ground Type/Local Type?
Attachment points for extra hardware, like the parachute pack.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Dark Duel

False Prophet wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:22 pm why did they change the Guncannon-style visor on the Prototype Gundam into the more familiar two-eye arrangement on the Gundam?
It was always my impression that the RX-78-01 Prototype Gundam DID have the two eyes, but for some reason had a visor over the eyes, that was absent in the RX-78-02. As to what that reason may be...I dunno.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
bilbros

Anyone here know the purpose of the bars on the shoulders of the Gundam Ground Type/Local Type?
As seen for instance in the original Blue Destiny manga those bars are very useful for the airborne transport inside Medea and / or Gunperry.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

The side 2 defense force had a ship that looked like a Salamis but smaller with only beam cannons and no missiles , anyone know if the info on this ship has been released?

I also found out that the name of the ship that transports all the Guncannons that are destroyed in the moon, it is called the Pizarro Class Mobile Transport Ship
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Deacon Blues

Today's plot armor question from the 15 minute preview of the latest episode:
Spoiler
Exactly how does Revil's ship survive blasts from the Musai that close when a Magellan can blow a Musai out of the sky from kilometers away? I have a feeling that the "beam blasts are weaker when they're fired that close". I mean seriously, they should've melted through whatever armor the ship had... flagship or not.
False Prophet

Any reason for the Saberfish and the Core Booster not to have a bubble canopy? Or why both of their cockpits were made from rectangular pieces of glass instead of rounded ones? Their field-of-view must had been equal to that of a 2nd generation jet fighter.

And no HUD for the pilots?
domino

I assume it's because the Saberfish wasn't intended for 360-degree battle. It was supposed to execute high-speed strafing attacks against battleships or perhaps engage in the rare space dogfight. More likely though, they were intended to be deployed from their space-borne mothership, enter a colony to suppress whatever danger is around then return to the mothership. I'm not sure if we've ever seen a Saberfish within a colony before but their wings indicate that they were designed to operate within an atmosphere as well as in space
False Prophet

domino wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:40 pm I assume it's because the Saberfish wasn't intended for 360-degree battle. It was supposed to execute high-speed strafing attacks against battleships or perhaps engage in the rare space dogfight. More likely though, they were intended to be deployed from their space-borne mothership, enter a colony to suppress whatever danger is around then return to the mothership. I'm not sure if we've ever seen a Saberfish within a colony before but their wings indicate that they were designed to operate within an atmosphere as well as in space
Well, then, what about the atmospheric-only FF-3 Saberfish? It looks like and act like an interceptor jet aircraft, and still has the same restrictive cockpit?
domino

The FF-S3 was built as a space variant of the FF-3 so the design "flaw" is shared by the predecessor. I failed to mention that I think it's a throwback to conventional (modern for us) aircraft design where aircraft were not designed for 360-degree combat.
Erisie

Some time ago, Mark mentioned an odd Zeon spacecraft that appeared on one of the very first shots of Mobile Suit Gundam, only to never appear again. Much to my surprise, it popped back on The Origin's fifth episode of the OVA adaptation. A recent issue of Gundam Ace gave us some extra information:

Officially, the ship is called Yap (ヤップ). By appearance, it's almost like Zeon's equivalent to the Columbus-class, although it is much larger: at over twice the size of a Pazock, it is big enough to transport a Gallop ground ship in its storage hold. Although the resemblance to Igloo's Jotunheim is mentioned, this look more like a small predecessor of Kycillia's Dolos in the manga.
Midi_Amp

Do we have official specs for the FA-78-2 yet? I just watched a review of the FA-78 Origin limited model kit and compared to the RX-78 variants, it is quite short. Except for that kit, every RX-78 variants heights are the same, from the RAG-79-G1 waterproof Gundam, to the RX-78-1 local type/American/FSD. Is there an in universe explanation about the height difference? I thought the FA-78 only slaps additional armors and call it a day, if there's an in universe explanation, the FA-78 seems like a major redesign.
E08

First, here's the official profile for the Origin version of FA-78-2 for anyone interested.

According to the profile, while FA-78-1 carry add-on armor and weapon to achieve the goal of the 'Full-armor System and Weapon System' project (FSWS project), the FA-78-2 takes a different approach by revamping its entire armor into a heavy armament form, achieving improvements in firepower, armor capability and mobility. This backstory is similar to the MSV version.
Midi_Amp

E08 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:47 am First, here's the official profile for the Origin version of FA-78-2 for anyone interested.

According to the profile, while FA-78-1 carry add-on armor and weapon to achieve the goal of the 'Full-armor System and Weapon System' project (FSWS project), the FA-78-2 takes a different approach by revamping its entire armor into a heavy armament form, achieving improvements in firepower, armor capability and mobility. This backstory is similar to the MSV version.
Wow, totally missed that, thanks a lot. Just probably a personal peeve of mine that the FA-78-2 is a shorter mobile suit than the other RX-78 based suits.
Zeonista

Deacon Blues wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:20 pm Today's plot armor question from the 15 minute preview of the latest episode:
Spoiler
Exactly how does Revil's ship survive blasts from the Musai that close when a Magellan can blow a Musai out of the sky from kilometers away? I have a feeling that the "beam blasts are weaker when they're fired that close". I mean seriously, they should've melted through whatever armor the ship had... flagship or not.
The easy answer is that hit location and resolution thereof can be a random thing at times. As a war gamer, tabletop RPG gamer, and video gamer of may years' standing, I can assure you that an apparent sure thing can vanish before your eyes by the end of the turn. :? The younger men call it RNG, but I first called it THACO....

With more serious consideration I would say that the Maggy's armored hull did its job, at least at first. Battleships can dish it out, but they also have to be able to take it. So Revil's ship took it, although even a "non-critical" hit can do a fair amount of damage and kill crewmen. As the episode showed in full though, the close action with the Musai diverted attention from the attack by the Tri-Stars, who made the damage by the cruiser seem incidental by comparison.

For abundant technical detail of the varying levels of damage modern warships could take from the incidental to the insta-kill level (plus may other things), I recommend The Steel Castles, The Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, and The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde